Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how long till the crowd turns on Poyet

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
the ability to play with a style and flair that will eventually allow us to compete with much better teams. All the managers above built teams based on gritty determination, scaring the beejesus out of the opposition, sticking together, grinding out results and, most of all, had a 30+ goal striker. as soon as they got anywhere near the championship - we went straight into a relegation fight.

yesterday was indeed poor - but the game was in the balance against a very good team in form, until a very unlucky deflection. i honestly believe we are close to being a top side in this division and ditching the manager is going to set us back.

Sure, we could get in 'name' like curbishley or howe etc. or we could take another flyer on an up and coming young manager. this may or may not work. but if we do that we can also enjoy watching gus get Leeds back into the prem and challenging with 2/3 seasons. blimey - in that scenario we would probably end up with warnock.

Eventually will get us nowhere. Let's be brutally honest - we're playing, at best, at relegation form. If we keep believing that the corner will be turned, and that Gus will lead us to the promised land, we're going to be waiting a very long time. It's galling to go to the Amex, week in week out and see performances like yesterdays, and the performances against the likes of Middlesborough, Birmingham, Bristol City and Millwall.

In Barber speak, we are consumers, and if people are dissatisfied with the product on offer, they're going to walk. Might sound shit, but it's the truth. I've always been a Gus fan, but he's taken us as far as he can, tactically and mentally. His unwillingness to try other formations, and his stubbornness over certain players and positions is making his position, IMO more and more untenable with every game.

Right now, if Sean O'Driscoll or Eddie Howe had any interest, I'd be biting their hand off if I was TB. Still young, experience at this level, and more importantly, not afraid to take risks.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Personally, I think a lot of the criticism would die instantly if he just came out after a game like yesterday, admitted that the team he put out (all bar El-Abd he signed) in the formation he played them was shit after 15 mins and we were embarrassed on live TV, and apologise to the fans. I gather Poyet is one of those who likes to keep slagging off of players "in-house", but there is no harm in telling the truth in interviews.

When he comes out and tries to make it sound like we weren't a million miles off getting something (which we were) and then talking about needing money (I presume he did this again yesterday, not read it), and then threatening to leave, I start to worry he is deluding himself about the job he is doing.

Of course 99% of us do appreciate how much better things are than years ago and the role he has played in transforming this club, and we are happy to accept poor performances, mis-judged transfer dealings in and out, and mediocre mid-table finishes from time to time, but also we'd like to see a manager who accepts when this is the case and admits it. If he genuinely thinks that everything is so rosy and that he should be given millions to spend to improve further, I start to worry about him.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Poyets done a great job but if i had choice id only have him in charge of us away from home, he doesnt seem to be able to work it out that our very poor home form is down to him, the formation he picks is the same every home game and it doesnt work, why doesnt he get this in his head.
Change it, your the manager, we back the team again with massive 26700 crowd and this will not continue if he keeps picking a negative team, eg crofts, bridcutt and orlandi in midfield, none of them get forward, Lopez and Lua lua, yet Lua Lua is only winger i dont know where lopez wonders off to.
Mackail smith on his own up front and then ends up often getting ball on the right wng where lopez should be, maybe this is why we dont score goals, if your weak up front dont you give yourselves more chance of goals by picking a extra forward as two forwards effort and play gives more chance than one, its not like we dominating the midfield with his overcrowding is it, so why bother ?
Hoskins and Dobbie, Poyet has destroyed, he plays them one game then out for 4, its not right, Hoskins looks good, plays Barnes all the time as a winger, he isnt a winger get it in your head, he scores goals when play as a forward but never does it.
Gus is very very frustrating and i think is a big part of our failure at home.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Personally, I think a lot of the criticism would die instantly if he just came out after a game like yesterday, admitted that the team he put out (all bar El-Abd he signed) in the formation he played them was shit after 15 mins and we were embarrassed on live TV, and apologise to the fans. I gather Poyet is one of those who likes to keep slagging off of players "in-house", but there is no harm in telling the truth in interviews.

When he comes out and tries to make it sound like we weren't a million miles off getting something (which we were) and then talking about needing money (I presume he did this again yesterday, not read it), and then threatening to leave, I start to worry he is deluding himself about the job he is doing.

Of course 99% of us do appreciate how much better things are than years ago and the role he has played in transforming this club, and we are happy to accept poor performances, mis-judged transfer dealings in and out, and mediocre mid-table finishes from time to time, but also we'd like to see a manager who accepts when this is the case and admits it. If he genuinely thinks that everything is so rosy and that he should be given millions to spend to improve further, I start to worry about him.

When a manager has criticised players in public in the past, they have been crucified on Nsc. Poyet is right to keep it inhouse.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
When a manager has criticised players in public in the past, they have been crucified on Nsc. Poyet is right to keep it inhouse.

I agree and not at all what I was suggesting. But nothing wrong with criticising the team performance, or taking the blame personally for a poor result. I am sure you can find examples of when this has happened but for me he too often just comes out and makes us sound better than we were, ask for more money or point to where the club has come from. Whereas I'd just like to see him accept that he HAS spent money already and that we ARE sometimes not repaying the fans.

I am very much "Poyet in", not that that should even be a debate, but this is the one thing that concerns me.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
Eventually will get us nowhere. Let's be brutally honest - we're playing, at best, at relegation form. If we keep believing that the corner will be turned, and that Gus will lead us to the promised land, we're going to be waiting a very long time. It's galling to go to the Amex, week in week out and see performances like yesterdays, and the performances against the likes of Middlesborough, Birmingham, Bristol City and Millwall.

In Barber speak, we are consumers, and if people are dissatisfied with the product on offer, they're going to walk. Might sound shit, but it's the truth. I've always been a Gus fan, but he's taken us as far as he can, tactically and mentally. His unwillingness to try other formations, and his stubbornness over certain players and positions is making his position, IMO more and more untenable with every game.

Right now, if Sean O'Driscoll or Eddie Howe had any interest, I'd be biting their hand off if I was TB. Still young, experience at this level, and more importantly, not afraid to take risks.

well, it's all a matter of opinion. mine is that he is a manager i am proud to have at my club. who plays a style of football that, when it works, creates chances, defends well and certainly entertains me.

it is always hard to watch us lose - but we weren't so far off last night. we created a few chances, though not as many as usual thanks to Bruno/Bridge/Orlandi clearly not being match fit and Lopez not really replacing Buckley like for like. I just think we are heading in the right direction and at some point in the next couple of seasons we will be challenging for automatic promotion, which is what we need to do if we have any chance of not getting trounced week in week out in the PL.

the problem this season has simply been the ability to convert even a slightly larger fraction of the myriad chances created. Not so much last night (although crofts should have scored his chance early on). those conversions would equal at least 6 more points - hey presto - in the play-offs and all would be calm on NSC.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here