Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long is the Gus Bus in Town For?

How Long is the Gus Bus in Town For?

• Until the end of this season only

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • This season and next regardless of managerial vacancies

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • This season and as much of next until Real Zaragoza/Spurs/Leeds sack their manager

Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Until the Premiership and beyond

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Two years, promotion this season, top half of Championship next and then Spurs nick him when Harry takes over from Capello.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Clearly a stepping-stone in his career...wouldn't expect him to be still here after first season at Falmer. ( irrespective of where we are )

Stumpy Tim

I was thinking about this today actually. I believe Gus is setting the club up to continue once he does leave - when ever that may be. He does seem to be hiring young up & coming coaches in Luke Williams & Steve Brown, and having all his teams playing the same brand of football. The future is bright

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I was thinking about this today actually. I believe Gus is setting the club up to continue once he does leave - when ever that may be. He does seem to be hiring young up & coming coaches in Luke Williams & Steve Brown, and having all his teams playing the same brand of football. The future is bright

That is key. Would be nice if he left a successor in place, or at least the structure for a hand-picked successor to work with, rather than taking his entire coaching staff with him as is often the norm.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It is very, very rare that a capable young manager stays with one club for more than two years, and it will not be long until big teams are sniffing around him.
I would love it for Gus to be here for a long, long time, but I think he will be offered a massive job if we gain promotion. If he is offered a top Premiership job, you couldn't really blame him for leaving, and I'll be eternally grateful for what he has done here if we go up this season.
Let's just hope we are a long term project for Gus and not just a stepping stone.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
It will be at least a year from now before any serious jobs come up where he could have his name on the shortlist (top UK prem, Spain, Uruguay nat team). Unless we're in the Championship and doing well I can't see him being approached. So he'll either stay or leave us in a good position. On the other hand, if we are in a good position, he may like to stay and finish the job.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It is very, very rare that a capable young manager stays with one club for more than two years, and it will not be long until big teams are sniffing around him.
I would love it for Gus to be here for a long, long time, but I think he will be offered a massive job if we gain promotion. If he is offered a top Premiership job, you couldn't really blame him for leaving, and I'll be eternally grateful for what he has done here, no matter what happens.

As I've mentioned before, I wouldn't be surprised if he moves on to a big championship club, even if they are below us at the time, or a failing premiership club. Gives him a chance to build from the bottom again. Whoever takes over from Redknapp or Wenger will struggle to continue their success unless they are from the very top table of managers.

I still think Middlesbrough will come looking for him when they give up on Strachan, West Ham would be another attractive option for him, and another likely vacancy in the near future.

If we are top of L1 at the time, that would be a massive decision for him, but I couldn't be more than 50% he would stay here.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think he'll stay for the first season at Falmer regardless of vacancies. After that it's in the lap of the football gods. I'd be pissed off if he ended up at somewhere like Wigan or blackburn though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Two years, promotion this season, top half of Championship next and then Spurs nick him when Harry takes over from Capello.

I think that's about right. I can't see him going to a Prem club from the 3rd Div (clubs saw what happened with with Paul Ince) but a good season in the Championship would attract interest.

I'd bet any money though that Harry doesn't become England manager: if they didn't want Tel, they won't someone even dodgier (and the same age as the outgoing manager who's retiring because of age).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This question is a way to drive yourselves mad. He's already said that he'll go if he gets a great offer (honest as usual) and TB has assured him we won't stand in his way.

Got to hope TB gives him the funds so that he feels he has time to finish the job here before he moves on.

But it's not in our hands. All depends on who comes calling.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

The trouble is (and I feel it is the same with England & Stuart Pearce), when a manager leaves, it is usually when the club isn't do very well with results, and the fans want a change ... and they want a complete change. If you think back to, say, McGee (just as an example), if at the time he left the majority of the fans wanted him out, they would not have been saitisfied with someone he had boughti in/trained etc. taking over - it would be seen as "more of the same". So, it tends to be revolution rather than evolution.

If the manager leaves in god times, of course, it can be different.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Right now he has a team playing the way he wants, if he gets a better offer then good bye and good luck. Ask Phil Parkinson, he was god at at Charlton when he arrived, lose a few games and you are dirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here