Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long before the premiership crashes?

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
According to SSN tonight a new overseas tv deal will mean the club finishing bottom get around £30 million, the champions will get in excess of 50 million. Talk about the rich getting richer. How much will filter down to grass roots and lower leagues? Probably none as they don't even buy many players from the lower leagues any more, just more diving foreign cheats.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The sad thing is that generally, attendances at games in the Premiership are down this season, at least that's what I read a few weeks ago.

Yes, Man United always sell out, the promoted clubs will have a bit of a boost in attendances, and Arsenal have the benefit of a new stadium to draw in the punters, but a lot of clubs are realising that people can't be arsed to spend £40 on a ticket.

Wigan could only manage 15k against Arsenal, West Ham's gates are down, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Newcastle etc etc. Sky might continue to chuck money at it, but it'll be very hollow if gates keep going down like they have and teams are playing in echoing, empty stadiums.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
edna krabappel said:
The sad thing is that generally, attendances at games in the Premiership are down this season, at least that's what I read a few weeks ago.

Yes, Man United always sell out, the promoted clubs will have a bit of a boost in attendances, and Arsenal have the benefit of a new stadium to draw in the punters, but a lot of clubs are realising that people can't be arsed to spend £40 on a ticket.

Wigan could only manage 15k against Arsenal, West Ham's gates are down, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Newcastle etc etc. Sky might continue to chuck money at it, but it'll be very hollow if gates keep going down like they have and teams are playing in echoing, empty stadiums.

Not for Sky it wont, they will have an even bigger army of armchair fans, paying their £40 a month HD Sky+ "how else can we screw money out of them" subscriptions

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Kaz said:
Not for Sky it wont, they will have an even bigger army of armchair fans, paying their £40 a month HD Sky+ "how else can we screw money out of them" subscriptions

I'm not convinced, after all there's always something a bit unsatisfying about watching, say, Middlesbrough v Charlton in front of a half empty stadium isn't there?

Makes you feel like you're watching a midweek Carling Cup tie, not the Greatest League In The World (c) 2001 Sky TV

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
edna krabappel said:
I'm not convinced, after all there's always something a bit unsatisfying about watching, say, Middlesbrough v Charlton in front of a half empty stadium isn't there?

Makes you feel like you're watching a midweek Carling Cup tie, not the Greatest League In The World (c) 2001 Sky TV

There would be something unsatisfying about watching either of those teams against anyone :D I do take your point though, but you look at a lot of the clubs and I just think I really can't be arsed. Maybe I still have my "meh" mood on football from last season and the WC. Just think that if Sky see there subscriptions rise, then they will pay more for it, would be nice to think that people would stop paying when the grounds are empty though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here