Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long before the premiership crashes?

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Tooting Gull said:
Probably the most chilling prospect on this thread. And I'm sure there will be calls for it in the future. The more money there is, the more there is to lose. If Malcolm Glazer, Abramovich, Ham and Egg, Sheikh Mohammed et al were all sat round a table, are they going to vote for the preservation of English football's integrity, or to safeguard their billions? No contest.

Up to now this has mercifully been the biggest single difference in attitudes between club rugby and club football - I have a horrible feeling it is about to be threatened.

And what could the supporters do? If a majority of Prem chairmen voted for it in spite of what they knew would be an adverse reaction from a large proportion of their fans, are you going to get 20 FC United style teams set up in protest? Unlikely.

I wonder who will be the first chairman to actually break ranks and risk the huge unpopularity that will come with actually saying it, because you can be sure they're thinking it.

this is worrying, if there was no promotion to the premiership available then there would be even less money than there already is in the lower leagues. And most clubs ultimate aims will be destroyed.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Zesh Rehman 34 said:
yeh this is a worry that one day they may just make their own league, they only agree to let teams be relegated and promoted before the season starts each year, so whats saying that one year they just decide not to !

The fact that the last two years, it's been the relegation battle FAR more than the battle at the top, that has been the most interesting, SHOULD tell them everything they need to know about the stupidity of this idea.

But I wouldn't bet on them realising .....

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Gritt23 said:
The fact that the last two years, it's been the relegation battle FAR more than the battle at the top, that has been the most interesting, SHOULD tell them everything they need to know about the stupidity of this idea.

But I wouldn't bet on them realising .....

very true

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tooting Gull said:
Probably the most chilling prospect on this thread. And I'm sure there will be calls for it in the future. The more money there is, the more there is to lose. If Malcolm Glazer, Abramovich, Ham and Egg, Sheikh Mohammed et al were all sat round a table, are they going to vote for the preservation of English football's integrity, or to safeguard their billions? No contest.

Up to now this has mercifully been the biggest single difference in attitudes between club rugby and club football - I have a horrible feeling it is about to be threatened.

And what could the supporters do? If a majority of Prem chairmen voted for it in spite of what they knew would be an adverse reaction from a large proportion of their fans, are you going to get 20 FC United style teams set up in protest? Unlikely.

I wonder who will be the first chairman to actually break ranks and risk the huge unpopularity that will come with actually saying it, because you can be sure they're thinking it.

What's probably stopping this is not the reaction of the supporters but the fact that this would have to voted in advance and approved by two-thirds of the clubs. How many clubs in the Prem could guarantee that they wouldn't be in the relegation zone in two years' time - about six? eight? ten? Certainly not enough to vote for relegation knowing that there's a chance that you could be one of the teams cast into the wilderness,

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Another reason they will not vote for a reduced premiership. The more cannon fodder yo-yo clubs the better when the established clubs have an advantage - and you can buy a striker if it gets a bit sticky.

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Don't give a "flying toss" about the most over hyped league in Europe.
Even though I have Sky only watch Spanish games or if we happen to be on and I'm not at the game.
THE PREMEIRSHIP:
FULL OF OVER PAID TOSSERS AND FAKE FANS!
The sort of people who watch or buy something cause it's trendy.
The sort of people who buy newspapers or records cause everyone else does.
Baa,Baa
HAMPSHIRE DAVE:salute: :sheep: :sheep:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Now,I've been thinking about this,and have come to the conclusion that the Premiership will crash in three years,two months and eleven days,approximately.

Perhaps.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The ticket sales are nothing compared to money generated through advertising, sponsorship, merchandise sales and corporate.

Literally billions are generated, I believe Manure turnover a million a game on catering alone.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Premiership was the worst thing to ever happen to English football. :(

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
mona said:
Some premiership clubs would like to abolish relegation.

:jester:

Well thats one way to get around being shit :jester:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nemesis said:
. All they need do is employ them within another company not connected to football...

This happened a few years back when I was on Surrey FA and we asked Crystal Palace for their annual balance sheet, as the county FA is entitled to, and they had no players employed by the club they were all employed and paid as PR Consultants by Mathews Butchers, which was owned by Raymond Bloye, I think that was his name, who was chairman of both the butchers and the club.

The balance sheet showed income nil outgoings nil money in the bank nil and they refused to give any more details saying that everything to do with the butchers had been filed with companies house as required by law.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Zesh Rehman 34 said:
this is worrying, if there was no promotion to the premiership available then there would be even less money than there already is in the lower leagues. And most clubs ultimate aims will be destroyed.
No, I would LOVE to see the Premiership abolish relegation - because it would kill it stone dead. It sounds such a good idea for the 'little' Premiership clubs - all that money every year with no chance of losing your place at the trough, but think about it. As has been pointed out most seasons the excitement is at the bottom, with no relegation by about this time of year it would be obvious which clubs had no chance of winning the League or qualifiying for Europe. So for the 'also-ran' clubs the rest of the season would be a series of meaningless friendlies - who is going to give a shit about West Ham v Charlton or Watford v Blackburn?

The whole thing would be as exciting as the old one division County Championship in cricket. They'd have to introduce various plate or cup competitions or give out prizes for finishing tenth.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
adrian29uk said:
Compared to some companies Premiership business is quite small, however when you think about the amount of money that a premiership clubs get from one match and the amount of money that goes out on players wages its disgusting.

30,000 x £30.00 a ticket = £900,000 every fortnight.

I know we need to add merchandise and services and I am sure they get a good take from away matches, but how do they afford to pay all the wages, run acadamies etc... They must be racking up some serious debt.

And how do banks let them get away with it.

Overseas TV deal brings billion dollar bonanza for English Premiership
Thu 18 Jan, 12:40 PM

LONDON (AFP) - Overseas television rights to English Premiership matches for the next three seasons have been sold for more than 1.2 billion dollars on the back of booming demand from armchair fans in Asia and the Middle East, the FA Premier League has announced.

The organisation which runs England's 20-club top flight said Thursday that the sale of broadcasting rights in 81 overseas blocs covering 208 countries and territories would generate a total of 625 million pounds (1.23 billion dollars) over the course of the 2007/08, 08/09 and 09/10 seasons.

The total is twice the amount raised from the current overseas television deal and it will take the Premiership's total earnings from media and broadcasting rights over the three seasons to just over 2.7 billion pounds (5.32 billion dollars).

British and Irish television rights for the same period were sold last year for 1.7 billion pounds (3.35 billion dollars) while a deal for other media, mainly mobile phone and internet rights, is to raise a further 400 million pounds (790 million dollars).

The result of the cash bonanza is that the winner of next season's title will receive around 50 million pounds (100 million dollars) from prize money and their share of the television money.

The club that finishes bottom of the league can expect a figure in the region of 30 million pounds (60 million dollars) -- the same as Chelsea received for winning the title last season.

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League's chief executive, said the increase was driven by fierce competition for rights in Asia and the Middle East and underpinned by the willingness of clubs to open their doors to foreign players, managers and owners.

"We have a cosmopolitan approach to players and a cosmopolitan approach to ownership and that is paying off," Scudamore said.

"We have seen growth everywhere but the really big jumps have been in Asia and the Middle East.

"No territories have gone down but in some cases the rights have ended up being sold for three or four times the current amount."

One of the fiercest battles for rights was in Hong Kong, where Richard Li's telecommunications group PCCW bid 10 million pounds (19.7 million dollars) to claim the rights from the local cable television operator.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Fulham, Portsmouth, Aston Villa and West Ham are already foreign-owned while the investment arm of the government of Dubai is close to completing a 400-million-pound takeover of Liverpool.

Everton, Manchester City and Newcastle have all held talks with potential foreign suitors. Ironically, the only major club which appears likely to resist the trend is Arsenal, managed by a Frenchman, Arsene Wenger, who regularly fields a team made up entirely of foreigners in the Emirates stadium.

A fresh injection of cash into football will also inevitably increase concern over the earnings of players and agents and the widening gap between the sport's haves and have-nots.

One consequence of the latest deals will be to massively increase the advantage teams relegated from the Premiership already enjoy over teams who have been in the second-tier Championship for a few seasons.

Scudamore stressed however that the Premier League's system allowed for a much fairer share of revenues than similar deals in Italy and Spain, where the biggest clubs negotiate their rights deals themselves.

Unlike domestic revenues, which are shared out depending on where a team finishes in the league and the number of times they appear on television, the overseas rights are split evenly between the 20 clubs.

"The overseas rights ensure that the gap between the highest and the lowest is the narrowest it's ever been," the chief executive said.

He also argued that the plight of Leeds, now struggling in the lower reaches of the Championship after nearly going bust at the start of the decade, had helped to instill a culture of financial discipline in the English game.

Scudamore expects global interest in English football and the consequent value of overseas rights to remain strong, but he acknowledged that the level of growth reflected in this auction was unsustainable.

"This is probably the last time we will be able to achieve such a massive one-off increase," he said.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
mendoza10 said:
£50million to win the thing next year, £30million to finish last, which is the same as the winners get this year?

imagine colchester going up and getting £30million a year later, blimey!

Manic. I think we are going to see more of the lower leagues clubs getting themselves into strife. Get promoted at all costs...?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Wozza said:
He also argued that the plight of Leeds, now struggling in the lower reaches of the Championship after nearly going bust at the start of the decade, had helped to instill a culture of financial discipline in the English game.

He is joking, right?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
adrian29uk said:
Compared to some companies Premiership business is quite small, however when you think about the amount of money that a premiership clubs get from one match and the amount of money that goes out on players wages its disgusting.

30,000 x £30.00 a ticket = £900,000 every fortnight.

I know we need to add merchandise and services and I am sure they get a good take from away matches, but how do they afford to pay all the wages, run acadamies etc... They must be racking up some serious debt.

And how do banks let them get away with it.

Add to that the minimum £30m for finishing in last place and you have a guaranteed income of approx £47m.

That would pay 25 players at just under 30k a week each ! and leave £10m for sundries... and there won't be many clubs where that is the true wage bill.

Last edited:

hornet

Mar 9, 2005
Horsham
Personally, I would be happy to see the Premiership break away and then implode up it's own arse. That way, everyone else can get back to playing football for the love of the game rather than the money.

Make football amateur again I say.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
The relegation thing would be much like it was in the days of re-election to the old 4th division. The old pals act usually meant that the bottom club would stay up. If that had stayed in place, the Hereford game would have become a meaningless freindly, clubs like Wimbledon would never have played in a cup final and there would be no Wigan in the premiership. Makes you think.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Come on then, who WANTS the Premiership to crash?

ME ME ME

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here