Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long before the premiership crashes?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
All sounds great at the moment. Millions of pounds being pumped in to these premiership clubs. Clubs buying who they want, when they want money not an issue.

How long before a premiership club gets their fingers burned, how long before we see a premiership crash like what happend with Italian football?

Its got to happen one day. Someone has to be relegated after each season. These investors want to see success, what happens if they dont get success?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Leeds really are screwed. Its going to take them years to reach those glory days again.

Even the current board dont have enough money to compete with the premiership. Their investments are now tiny compared to what is currently being offered.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Compared to some companies Premiership business is quite small, however when you think about the amount of money that a premiership clubs get from one match and the amount of money that goes out on players wages its disgusting.

30,000 x £30.00 a ticket = £900,000 every fortnight.

I know we need to add merchandise and services and I am sure they get a good take from away matches, but how do they afford to pay all the wages, run acadamies etc... They must be racking up some serious debt.

And how do banks let them get away with it.

adrian29uk said:
Compared to some companies Premiership business is quite small, however when you think about the amount of money that a premiership clubs get from one match and the amount of money that goes out on players wages its disgusting.

I know we need to add merchandise and services and I am sure they get a good take from away matches, but how do they afford to pay all the wages, run acadamies etc... They must be racking up some serious debt.

I think I saw somewhere that Liverpool have current debts of £8 Million....most of that is probably down to some bonehead transfer decisions and payoffs for a couple of ex-managers. Most of the other Prem clubs must be in a similar position (some considerably worse).

The Albion lost the Goldstone and years of progress for less.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
adrian29uk said:

You're being a bit naive.

Premiership clubs generate a combined revenue of well over £1billion.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
As previously stated ,it will be those clubs relegated which do not recover during the parachute payment period which will suffer.

More worrying is the touted suggestion that premiership reserve teams should be entered in League 1 -at least - so that the unused but expensive players and constant subs can get a proper game,with the added insult I read in one rag that lower teams would be willing to accept this for the chance to see premiership second strings,and the chance to go to some fab stadium in return.And of course,once it happens,the prem reserves games would be at some little league ground so that the main pitch is not,so to speak,queered.

The Premiership and its superior attitude sucks.When it does implode,there will still be smaller clubs playing their games in front of 5300 crowds,proper fans eating pukka pies rather than prawn sandwiches.

Is this a rant?

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
Well there is the phrase going round: "doing a leeds".

As for the Prem, I've predicted there will be a massive collapse. At the moment it is out of control. Chelski have taken it to another level. The FA really need to get there arses into gear and impose a spending cap (e.g. £25m a season) and a wage cap.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
I really wish I could give a flying shit about the prem, but I don't. It really isa bunch of prima madonnasafter money. How can you start a season every year with the main aim to finish 17th out of 20, and your wildest dream to finish 4th? Thats not even for thr first couple of seasons, but year on year. It really is very boring and tedious. Think the worst thing to happen was the amount of money in the champions league. If they stopped all the huge pay outs, and just had it for the glory of being champions of Europe, it would be intersting to see how much teams would spend. Imo money has ruined the game at the top level. Same 4 teams year after year, just the order sometimes differs. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a prem game from start to finish

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Chelsea as has been stated will be in breach of new FA regulations regarding the state of their business. The FA hope to introduce new regulations relating income to expediture. This is to stop another Leeds from happening. Chelsea are massively in debt, being constantly bailed out. Last year they lost more money than any other club side in the history of World football. If the new regulations are enforced then this would almost certainly stop Chelsea in their tracks.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
He is right, premiership clubs are in the main heavilly in debt.

The banks are letting them rack up debt because its against the TV payments that they are about to recieve.

In fact I read recently that Reading are on course to make a £70m profit if they survive 2 seasons in the prem !!

Now you can see just why people are queing up to buy these clubs.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Liverpool debts £8m. Think you will find it is more like £80m,that is why they need this arab deal to go throught,no hope off funding new ground on their own.:albion:

Leekbrookgull said:
Liverpool debts £8m. Think you will find it is more like £80m,that is why they need this arab deal to go throught,no hope off funding new ground on their own.:albion:

My ears must have been on a tee break-I only heard the 8...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
you should only be able to spend a percentage of your income on wages to stop the rich running the clubs at a loss. Not perfect but would stop clubs running up huge debts which will result in a right mess in a few years time

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
adrian29uk said:
All sounds great at the moment. Millions of pounds being pumped in to these premiership clubs. Clubs buying who they want, when they want money not an issue.

How long before a premiership club gets their fingers burned, how long before we see a premiership crash like what happend with Italian football?

Its got to happen one day. Someone has to be relegated after each season. These investors want to see success, what happens if they dont get success?

I think the most logical route to all of this crashing down is if Premiership clubs fail to learn from what went wrong in Italy with the TV rights. the moment clubs become so greedy that they want their own TV deal rather than being part of the collective bargaining process then they are taking a massive risk.

The Italian example showed that the far more punters than was realised want to see the games played by that division, and want to watch whatever game looks most crucial that weekend, and that's what a collective deal gives you. But when faced with having to buy either Juventus games, or Milan games the clubs suddenly found the interest wasn't there. To get the coverage people wanted they would have had to buy numerous different packages from a number of clubs, and instead they just kept their money in their pockets and watched what highlights were on offer in their current packages or on free to air.

Suddenly the deals were collapsing, and they were all bickering over whose fault it was, as well as whether, when and how they could broker a collective deal again.

The Premiership will crash when the greed means they make decisions on what product they think we want, and get it badly wrong. Whether that will be the dullfest "European Super League" that gets bandied about, or whether it be the fragmentation of the tv deals to the point of clubs selling rights to their own games, and no collective deal, the crash will be as a result of greed.

Last edited:

Rookie said:
you should only be able to spend a percentage of your income on wages to stop the rich running the clubs at a loss. Not perfect but would stop clubs running up huge debts which will result in a right mess in a few years time

There will always be ways for the rich owners of clubs to get money where it's needed to buy/pay top players. Apply salary caps and the money will get paid using different channels. All they need do is employ them within another company not connected to football...

Like it or not-there'll always be rich and poor in sport and all the while we're playing at the shithole that is Withdean we'll never even get close to being poor.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
mona said:
Some premiership clubs would like to abolish relegation.

:jester:

yeh this is a worry that one day they may just make their own league, they only agree to let teams be relegated and promoted before the season starts each year, so whats saying that one year they just decide not to !

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
mona said:
Some premiership clubs would like to abolish relegation.

:jester:

Probably the most chilling prospect on this thread. And I'm sure there will be calls for it in the future. The more money there is, the more there is to lose. If Malcolm Glazer, Abramovich, Ham and Egg, Sheikh Mohammed et al were all sat round a table, are they going to vote for the preservation of English football's integrity, or to safeguard their billions? No contest.

Up to now this has mercifully been the biggest single difference in attitudes between club rugby and club football - I have a horrible feeling it is about to be threatened.

And what could the supporters do? If a majority of Prem chairmen voted for it in spite of what they knew would be an adverse reaction from a large proportion of their fans, are you going to get 20 FC United style teams set up in protest? Unlikely.

I wonder who will be the first chairman to actually break ranks and risk the huge unpopularity that will come with actually saying it, because you can be sure they're thinking it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here