Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long before TB sells out?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
What is the difference between Reading, who moved from a crappy old shed to a purpose-built stadium, and Brighton, who din't even have the shed and were in the lower leagues when TB got involved?

Erm, Tony used to sit in the Director's box at the Goldstone with his Grandfather Harry Bloom as a boy. I'd say that the Goldstone was at least three sheds wouldn't you!

Hopefully Tony will be as good as his word and end up passing the club onto his son, but none of us here have a crystal ball telling us that he'll continue to be the successful businessman that he currently is. It is as well that he is setting the club up to fund itself, rather than him continually subsidising it (am I the only person who is happy to hear Gus complaining about the wage structure?).

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Not sure Man U fans would agree with this. Their American owners are definitely in it for a nice profit. They have leveraged all their debt on the Cash Cow that is Old Trafford.

The Glazers may have thought they were getting a nice profit - in reality they've ended up with a liability and had to sell the debts on again and again.

Any money they've made has been from increasing prices etc and bringing in things like the compulsory cup ticket purchase scheme.

He is an unusual character is Tony Bloom, a life-long fan and with serious money.

Quite often many fans do not appreciate the significance of this

I think most of us would prefer "extremely generous and wonderful human being to whom we are forever grateful" rather than "unusual".

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
What is the difference between Reading, who moved from a crappy old shed to a purpose-built stadium, and Brighton, who din't even have the shed and were in the lower leagues when TB got involved?

£93M for the Amex, £37M for the Madejski, but with the sale of Elm Park etc and the retail park by the stadium an actual net cost of about £18M. The land was an old rubbish tip and cost Madejski £1 to purchase.

Big difference in profits to be made between £93M and £18M!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think most of us would prefer "extremely generous and wonderful human being to whom we are forever grateful" rather than "unusual".

The unual context was just in the footballing world

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I watched the football league preview show on sky sports a couple of weeks ago. On it they were speaking to Madjeski about the takeover. He said he was going to remain chairman for at least a couple of years, as Reading is a unique club, and he wants to make sure the Russian fella understand it (or words to that affect). Does anyone know what is unique about Reading?
Only one unique thing about reading and thats me:)

But if someone offered silly money and a guarantee of protecting the heritage, why not?

But why? What do you think would be in it for him?

If he sits there and just enjoys his football club, he can soon-enough recoup his investment if all goes well, and then when it turns over a profit he can be happy knowing it's not just an interesting hobby but also keeps him getting wealthier.

But then again, why not sell your mother to the Arabs if you can make a few quid? ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Glazers may have thought they were getting a nice profit - in reality they've ended up with a liability and had to sell the debts on again and again.

Any money they've made has been from increasing prices etc and bringing in things like the compulsory cup ticket purchase scheme.

I will be utterly surprised if the Glaziers walk away from Old Trafford without a profit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Answer: the owner being a lifelong fan.
How much did it cost to build Reading's ground? A lot less than ours. Ours was a unique project that was going to cost a bomb. More suitable for a fan than an investor.

Also, unlike the goldstone, our ground is worth more as a, er, ground, than it is as a retail park. And given the amount of trouble we had getting planning permission (unprecedented in UK history) I doubt anyone would get permission to turn it into a retail park.

How much did it cost to build Reading's ground? A lot less than ours. Ours was a unique project that was going to cost a bomb. More suitable for a fan than an investor.

Also, unlike the goldstone, our ground is worth more as a, er, ground, than it is as a retail park. And given the amount of trouble we had getting planning permission (unprecedented in UK history) I doubt anyone would get permission to turn it into a retail park.

While I would not suggest he will for a minute, as and when we make the Premiership, TB could sell the Club , remain a lifelong fan, still be committed to its long-term future, but also make a few quid.

When we make it up to the Premiership, will we be happy to be in the Bottom Half every season (perhaps yo-yoing in and out), or aspire to the Top Half, or even Top 6? For the latter, the Club would need substantial additional investment. Maybe TB has the spare funds to support this, maybe he has not.

If he does have another £50 million kicking about (or more), then this is where the second round of funding truly gets speculative. A few £10 million players, plus increased wages and suddenly the extra cash gets blown, perhaps for little return (shades of Leeds).

He could take the view that he has put the Club back on its feet and set it on its way to a bright future. His initial funding was a lot more than Madejski, but it was primarily asset-based and it doesn't mean it wasn't a calculated gamble. Speculating in the Premiership is a different game, which I, for one, hope TB is up for.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I have the upmost faith in TB and expect nothing but a long, exciting future with TB at the helm but to say nothing could potentially ever go wrong a death, a failing business many things 'could' happen. Look at the Bamber era.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have the upmost faith in TB and expect nothing but a long, exciting future with TB at the helm but to say nothing could potentially ever go wrong a death, a failing business many things 'could' happen. Look at the Bamber era.

Same. And if he decides to sell - well thank-you Tony for being there when our club needed you.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He could sell a share at say 45%. That's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I imagine even if a billionaire oil baron came along Tony would be hard pushed to sell, and if he did, he'd make sure the stadium was protected.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
If Tony Bloom was interested in silly money, why would he have blown £100 million + on sprucing up his local football club?

This. His family have the Albion in their blood!

Pretty much like a lot of our fanbase who are 2nd, 3rd and even 4th generation supporters! Speaking as a 3rd gen fan, i can safely say that if you cut me i would bleed blue n white stripes!

Hopefully, TB feels the same!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While I would not suggest he will for a minute, as and when we make the Premiership, TB could sell the Club , remain a lifelong fan, still be committed to its long-term future, but also make a few quid.
I doubt we'd be worth more than had been invested. How much is a small premiership club really worth?
When we make it up to the Premiership, will we be happy to be in the Bottom Half every season (perhaps yo-yoing in and out), or aspire to the Top Half, or even Top 6? For the latter, the Club would need substantial additional investment. Maybe TB has the spare funds to support this, maybe he has not.
Top 6! :lol: I don't think he has that kind of money, and for a club as small as us to be in the top 6 we'd need someone to be throwing money away, not an investor.
He could take the view that he has put the Club back on its feet and set it on its way to a bright future. His initial funding was a lot more than Madejski, but it was primarily asset-based and it doesn't mean it wasn't a calculated gamble.
It basically does mean that. Our club is worth the same as another club with the same size stadium and number of fans etc. That our stadium cost a stupid amount of money doesn't make our club worth more. So if the aim was to 'invest', our club wasn't the best choice.
Speculating in the Premiership is a different game, which I, for one, hope TB is up for.
I hope TB remains as sensible as he's always been. We'll have some disappointing years, and hopefully some relatively good ones, while keeping our feet on the ground.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
:fishing:
Lots in the Press recently about new investors looking for Foorball Clubs.

No doubting that when we make it to the Premiership (this year or soon), we would be of interest to foreign investors.

Privately-owned with essentially only one shareholder, nice shiney stadium, close to Gatwick. If TB was so minded, I reckon he could make a tidy return on his initial investment/gamble.

Of course, it is doubtful the Council would allow the site to be turned into a retail park, so a new investor would need to keep the club going.

Would it be such a bad thing?:fishing:

???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here