Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long before TB sells out?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He is an unusual character is Tony Bloom, a life-long fan and with serious money.

Quite often many fans do not appreciate the significance of this

This and this and this.

Edit to add that, a few years ago when he took over, the Southampton owner died and TB was asked what would happen if he suddenly died. The question was, would the family want a return on the club? He stated there and then the money was ringfenced and the club had nothing to worry about.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I don't think we have anything to worry about any time soon. But nothing in life is forever, all things come to an end. Not for many years yet though.

Said the CEO's of Lehman Brothers, Woolworths, Borders UK and many, many more

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Can’t see him selling out anytime soon, I had the pleasure of being in the directors box for the Leicester game and he looked like a proud parent with a big cheesy grin on his face…I’d imagine he’s as excited about leading the club forward as we are following our progress from the stands.

At least we can be safe in the knowledge that if he does feel someone is better equipped to move the club forward in the future, being an Albion fan he’ll ensure it’s sold to the right party and I’d imagine keep enough of a share in the club to veto anything that might jeopardise the clubs future.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He is an unusual character is Tony Bloom, a life-long fan and with serious money.

Quite often many fans do not appreciate the significance of this

Especially fans of other clubs.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
What is the difference between Reading, who moved from a crappy old shed to a purpose-built stadium, and Brighton, who din't even have the shed and were in the lower leagues when TB got involved?

I watched the football league preview show on sky sports a couple of weeks ago. On it they were speaking to Madjeski about the takeover. He said he was going to remain chairman for at least a couple of years, as Reading is a unique club, and he wants to make sure the Russian fella understand it (or words to that affect). Does anyone know what is unique about Reading?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What is the difference between Reading, who moved from a crappy old shed to a purpose-built stadium, and Brighton, who din't even have the shed and were in the lower leagues when TB got involved?

Can I suggest that you look up some history of Ray Bloom & Harry Bloom? Tony is the third generation to be on the board of Bha.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
You're making the mistake of using the word "investor." People can't "invest" in football and hope to get their money back, let alone make more. All they can do is throw more and more money at a club. And the "riches" of the Premier League that everyone harks on about are irrelevant - because he increase in wages needed to stay in the PL are more than the increase in income, so any "investor" still needs to throw money at the club just to stand still.

The only exception to the above rule that you can't make money from football are people who owned a football club long ago and sold shares when it floated (e.g. David Dien, or Martin Edwards) or those who bought a crappy, lower league team, built it up and then sold it (e.g. John Madejski). Apart from that, the only way to make a small fortune from owning a football club is to start with a large fortune.

Not sure Man U fans would agree with this. Their American owners are definitely in it for a nice profit. They have leveraged all their debt on the Cash Cow that is Old Trafford.

Oh, I don't think Tony will leave. Assuming he business interests don't crash, why would he? He has enough money and he loves the club.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I don't think for a minute the Club is badly managed, financially or otherwise. Perhaps not the case with the companies you have quoted.

Yes, I very much agree with that, my point is simply that in business, you can never say never. Woolworths went out of business primarily because their supplier went bust. Many things can happen to pull you down, and not all are directly in your control. Like you say, for some, it's just plain bad management, others suffer from bad luck or bad timing. For Bloom, I hope and trust that he doesn't ever have to worry about that, but I'm guessing that most of us know very little of his business ventures, other than that he must be doing incredibly well to spend what he has so far !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Naive in the extreme to think that because he is a lifelong fan he will never sell out.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
From where we have come from, there is now NOTHING that worries me about BHAFC.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I guess the good thing is, that since we don't have a clue about his wealth, we wouldn't know till it happened.

He's rich enough not that have to see that £100m again and still be OK, financially.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here