Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How is your cooking this lockdown ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] (for the lolz)

‘96 las cases with the cassoulet. OMFG.

Parker underrates this wine. Suckling doesn’t. Easy 99.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
[MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] (for the lolz)

‘96 las cases with the cassoulet. OMFG.

Parker underrates this wine. Suckling doesn’t. Easy 99.

I might just pop up to Cambridge to say hello.
I haven't quite worked out how to spot the difference between a 98er and a 99er, but that's something to look forward to when we come out the other side. Enjoy. Hope you're all well. Peppermint tea round these parts tonight.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I expected nothing less. I'm actually making my second ever batch of pittas at present. The first was a Yotam recipe, which was a bit meh, whereas this one is time-consuming and laborious, so I'm hoping it might be an improvement and, even more so, makes pittas that are easy to open so we can stuff them full of stuff.
I haven't proved too adventurous in terms of new recipes, but it's asparagus season which will keep me going for a while. Tonight's recipe is the satay one:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ut-salad-gado-gado-anna-jones-the-modern-cook

This new pitta recipe is quite something, and will be on repeat mode for some time to come. The pittas are puffy, so they will get stuffed this lunchtime, but it's the chewiness, odd crisp part and flavour that sets them apart.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I haven't proved too adventurous in terms of new recipes, but it's asparagus season which will keep me going for a while. Tonight's recipe is the satay one:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ut-salad-gado-gado-anna-jones-the-modern-cook

As a veggie, I'm interested in that recipe - how was it?

(Even though I'm annoyed that the ingredients say: "100g baby carrots (I like the yellow ones), washed and tops removed", yet the picture of the dish shows carrots still with their tops on)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

(Even though I'm annoyed that the ingredients say: "100g baby carrots (I like the yellow ones), washed and tops removed", yet the picture of the dish shows carrots still with their tops on)

I've been making it for a good few years now, and it's great. I use a handful of recipes for the asparagus season, which we'll eat three or four times a week for a month or two. What veg you use is obviously adaptable. I have never used baby carrots, nor yellow ones, and I tend to peel those I use and remove the tops. The fennel really works in this, and that, the potato and asparagus are the stalwarts. I've never bothered with the tofu, because it's not my favourite ingredient ...

... That said, this recipe is another amazing regular round our parts. Searing chill heat, salty umami richness from the beans, vegan too (my partner is a pescatarian, so meat is rare here, more often than not for breakfast):

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jan/18/how-do-you-make-tofu-tasty

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I've been making it for a good few years now, and it's great. I use a handful of recipes for the asparagus season, which we'll eat three or four times a week for a month or two. What veg you use is obviously adaptable. I have never used baby carrots, nor yellow ones, and I tend to peel those I use and remove the tops. The fennel really works in this, and that, the potato and asparagus are the stalwarts. I've never bothered with the tofu, because it's not my favourite ingredient ...

... That said, this recipe is another amazing regular round our parts. Searing chill heat, salty umami richness from the beans, vegan too (my partner is a pescatarian, so meat is rare here, more often than not for breakfast):

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jan/18/how-do-you-make-tofu-tasty

I did that Tofu thing the other day, it was the first time my partner enjoyed tofu.

I've been looking for a Cauliflower Manchuruan recipe for ages(the one at Eastern Eye is amazing) I'm going to try and adapt that

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Certainly made my most Masterchef dinner ever tonight. It was so wankily cheffy that I fear it will cause [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] to post a picture of a Findus Crispy Pancake. And, with that incentive firmly in mind here it was:

Baked Monkfish fillet (using https://primalmediterraneangourmet.com/baked-monkfish-filet/ but replacing the paprika and oregano with mild curry powder because I had no oregano and the paprika looked like five year old dust).

Asparagus (3 minutes in salty heavily boiling water)

Mini roast potatoes.

Pickled beetroot (slice thinly, heat quarter cup red wine vinegar to boiling while stirring in a teaspoon of sugar, place slice beetroot into the vinegar mixture in a bowl)

Celeriac puree (Raymond Blanc's recipe, I mean, nothing else comes close does it?)

Cauliflower pan roasted in butter

And a lemon butter sauce.

I suspect Gregg might have accused me of throwing too much at the plate and questioned the beetroot but I'll just have to imagine that he loved it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

The picture is usually pure decoration- bait rather than a model.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Made a rather lovely rabbit stew last night. Floured and browned off the rabbit, deglazed the pan with a bit of brandy, added some tomato sauce that I'd made the other day along with a bay leaf and a few sprigs of rosemary. While it was cooking, I fried the liver in bit of butter and had that on a bit of toasted baguette :D

Leftovers will be had today with a bit of homemade pappardelle.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
On to coq au vin for tonight. Such a simple but delicious dish that always wows visitors who think it’s incredibly complicated.

Accompanied by horseradish creamy mash and garlic fine beans.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Made a rather lovely rabbit stew last night. Floured and browned off the rabbit, deglazed the pan with a bit of brandy, added some tomato sauce that I'd made the other day along with a bay leaf and a few sprigs of rosemary. While it was cooking, I fried the liver in bit of butter and had that on a bit of toasted baguette :D

Where on earth do you get Rabbit these days? Think it's lovely but no Butcher around here does it...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Oh man. That sounds lovely.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Certainly made my most Masterchef dinner ever tonight. It was so wankily cheffy that I fear it will cause [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] to post a picture of a Findus Crispy Pancake. And, with that incentive firmly in mind here it was:

Baked Monkfish fillet (using https://primalmediterraneangourmet.com/baked-monkfish-filet/ but replacing the paprika and oregano with mild curry powder because I had no oregano and the paprika looked like five year old dust).

Asparagus (3 minutes in salty heavily boiling water)

Mini roast potatoes.

Pickled beetroot (slice thinly, heat quarter cup red wine vinegar to boiling while stirring in a teaspoon of sugar, place slice beetroot into the vinegar mixture in a bowl)

Celeriac puree (Raymond Blanc's recipe, I mean, nothing else comes close does it?)

Cauliflower pan roasted in butter

And a lemon butter sauce.

I suspect Gregg might have accused me of throwing too much at the plate and questioned the beetroot but I'll just have to imagine that he loved it.

I hope you posted your cnuntfestery on the Buzz or whatever it’s called?

Actually just remembered you don’t post on Facebook anymore.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What's for dinner darling?

Not sure yet, tell you what though I’ll copy and paste some pretentious bollox that I found on the internet and try and sound and even bigger cnunt than I already am, how about that?

All washed down with a glass of soy milk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Where on earth do you get Rabbit these days? Think it's lovely but no Butcher around here does it...

Spain. There's no shortage of anything here somehow. The supermarkets are out of flour but the shop on my street has a load of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here