Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How inflammatory is the Tricolour in the UK?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Finally got my Cardiff photos developed so I remembered that I had my Tricolour with me there - as one of the probably under ten Irish born Albion fans around, felt I should represent myself...

However, knowing how derided and likely to be beaten up anyone with a Union Jack or a St Georges Cross is in Dublin, I'm surprised I only had one twat insult me for it in Cardiff - a Brizzle supporter...

Is someone with a Tricolour seen as being inflammatory in the UK? Other than at a football match which Ireland are playing in, that is, as its logical for that.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
MYOB said:
Finally got my Cardiff photos developed so I remembered that I had my Tricolour with me there - as one of the probably under ten Irish born Albion fans around, felt I should represent myself...

However, knowing how derided and likely to be beaten up anyone with a Union Jack or a St Georges Cross is in Dublin, I'm surprised I only had one twat insult me for it in Cardiff - a Brizzle supporter...

Is someone with a Tricolour seen as being inflammatory in the UK? Other than at a football match which Ireland are playing in, that is, as its logical for that.

No there were loads of them at Wembly in '83. All supporting Manure! :nono:

And, Celtic fans have a few. Rangers fans may have something to say about them though!

What do you think?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I think I may have spoken to you in the Ground MYOB. Remember talking to someone with a tricolour but did not abuse you I don't think :lolol:
Nothing wrong with it in my book. After all I live in Brighton and you can not get more liberal minded than that.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Someone about a row behind me asked why I had a tricolour on me, to which the response was "I'm Irish".

The git who abused me was a Brizzle supporter in the train station around 6 PM who was dragged away from the Heddlu just after he called me an "Irish ****". I'd like to think it was for saying that :)

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Why should it be a problem? it's all part of the English Empire.We're bigger than local petty nationalistic differences.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The fact that we severed the last legal ties with the Commonwealth in '49 and the UK in '37 don't help the English Empire argument...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
MYOB said:

Wear it in the Celtic end at Parkhead, you'd be one of thousands

Wear it in the Rangers end at Ibrox, you and it would be ripped to shreds

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I don't know about the tricolour in england but my boy went to school for pe in his england trackie and was promptly called a f*cking Saxon C**t.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Why should it be a problem? It's your national flag and if you want to wear it its up to you. Certainly not worth beating someone up over.

MYOB said:

Generally very acceptable these days. But I wouldn't have advised it as recently as 10 years ago, pre-Peace Process days.

Thank our one-true Catholic God for the Muslims, they've really taken the heat off us BIG TIME.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Our god? Former god for me ;)

Theres a surprising amount of Pope-followers here, I've noticed. Lord Bracknell is one, IIRC....

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Shhhhh Don't mention god on here :lolol: and as for that protector of kiddy fiddling priests and champion of womens rights pope what more can we say, ehhh christian brothers

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: How inflammatory is the Tricolour in the UK?

London Irish said:
Generally very acceptable these days. But I wouldn't have advised it as recently as 10 years ago, pre-Peace Process days.

Agreed. There will always be some people who take offence, some will be polite, most will be rude (indeed I'm surprised none of the usual suspects have emerged on this thread yet) but for most English people these days it's no big deal.

I'd like to think it's because the English are more broad-minded and tolerant than our parochial celtic cousins, but I suspect the second part of your post is nearer the truth.

Brighton Jock

Aug 28, 2003
Ashtead,Surrey
I think it will always cause problems in the west of scotland, but there seem to be so many of them around these days, i don't think anyone down here is to bothered about them, i'm not fussed myself,especially after last night's result......

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think it goes back to the "Irish Troubles" in that the tricolour was always seen as a symbol of Irish terrorism....be that right or wrong depends on your point of view.

At the end of the day everyone hates the English, due to empire etc etc...but when one of us expresses a view against someone else, its regarded as racist!

My grandmother on my father's side was a staunch protestant who lived in Belfast until she moved to England in the 1930's and she had a pathalogical hatred of catholics...i always found that very sad, but I suppose she grew up with it and we just read about it

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
MYOB said:
I'd say I see someone wearing an Irish football top as often as I see someone wearing a Manchester United top. It's entirely unremarkable.

As for the flag... around my streets you can see Irish, English and American flags hanging from various windows. No problems at all(doesn't that give you a warm community-filled glow).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here