Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How inflammatory is the Tricolour in the UK?

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
dave the gaffer said:
I think it goes back to the "Irish Troubles" in that the tricolour was always seen as a symbol of Irish terrorism....be that right or wrong depends on your point of view.

At the end of the day everyone hates the English, due to empire etc etc...but when one of us expresses a view against someone else, its regarded as racist!

My grandmother on my father's side was a staunch protestant who lived in Belfast until she moved to England in the 1930's and she had a pathalogical hatred of catholics...i always found that very sad, but I suppose she grew up with it and we just read about it

my grandad came from cork and was a member of the ira and he wasnt that fond of protestants, and no he didnt go around bombing everyone before everyone starts. i am catholic although not practicising as i dont really believe in it, although my grandad would probably turn in his grave if he knew that. i dont see a problem with the tricolour myself.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
he was a memeber of teh Irish Republican Army, but "didn't go around bombing people"

What he stood up and said it is wrong to plant bombs in London pubs and buildings to kill people did he?

That is like saying, my relative was in the Waffen SS, but he didn't agree with being nasty to people

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have absolutely no problem with you bringing a tricolor to an Albion game, we have had a great tradition down the years of Irishmen representing the Albion and I am sure that many other fans, including myself, have direct parental connections to the Emerald Isle.

Football is now the global game, there are many different nationalities representing teams throughout the British game, supporters welcome players to their "club" by displaying national flags during the game, what is wrong with trying to make someone feel more at home.

A few years ago Hearts went one step further in recognising the international mix of their squad by having each players flag hanging on poles around the ground, these included: Zaire, France, Spain and the Cross of St George for an Englishman (Lee Makel). I could see one corner of the ground for my flat, it used to make me proud to see my flag blowing in the wind on the days that it was hung where I could see it, also as an Englisman sitting in the stand to cheer on a Scottish team.

Keep bringing your flag along.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
dave the gaffer said:
he was a memeber of teh Irish Republican Army, but "didn't go around bombing people"

What he stood up and said it is wrong to plant bombs in London pubs and buildings to kill people did he?

That is like saying, my relative was in the Waffen SS, but he didn't agree with being nasty to people

no he didnt your wrong again. he was a member of the Official IRA not the provisional IRA check your history books before you start spouting off.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I get the impression that quietly most people are happy to see all the 'home' nations do well. So the presense (sp?) of national flags isn't a problem.

Now if you'd turned up waving a Palace flag.....

caz99 said:
no he didnt your wrong again. he was a member of the Official IRA not the provisional IRA check your history books before you start spouting off.

A familar mistake this.

Not often, but sometimes, on some of the London Irish away game coaches, someone will have the bright idea of sticking on the Dubliners or some such band, and inevitably at some point a rebel song will pop up glorifying the heroic manliness of the IRA, etc etc.

Instantly, and this always cracks me up, the Irish half of the bus will either join in or start giggling nervously, while the English half look a bit perplexed and miffed. Of course, all these old rebel songs you will hear when you go to Ireland refer to the old IRA, the founders of the current Republic, and not to PIRA, Gerry Adams and his crew.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
oi caz

if i want to spout absolute biggoted crap about something I know absolutely f*** all about I will.

This is NSC after all.

I can't believe how seriously some people take themselves

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
dave the gaffer said:
oi caz

if i want to spout absolute biggoted crap about something I know absolutely f*** all about I will.

This is NSC after all.

I can't believe how seriously some people take themselves

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

i wasnt but you obviously were :wave:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
nah...i never take myself seriously.

we are a mere flick of the second hand revolving in the endless time space continuum. we are as significant in the universe as a palace fan's grip on reality

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The flag only offends the idiots who sing "No surrender..." at every England game. Who cares if they're offended?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Surely if the flag was inflammatory, there'd be some kind of warning label on the fabric??

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Still on the subject of reactions to flags how about this. Last year i watched Iron Maiden in Dublin and during the song 'The Trooper' Bruce Dickinson waves a Union Jack about during the first few bars. Next thing there's a few murmurs followed by some isolated booing. Fortunately those booing soon got shouted down but i thought what the feck is that all about? After all, the song is about the British Army balls up at the Charge of The Light Brigade during the Crimean War.

As bloody annoying at those footie fans who burst into 'No Surrender' at every opportunity.

Last edited:

onlyaboho

Oct 4, 2004
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Surely if the flag was inflammatory, there'd be some kind of warning label on the fabric??

Think this was the only post that was worth reading on this thread

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here