Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How I would LOVE England to line up tonight

We're playing Gillingham's finest, ffs.
Does it matter how we line up?

There's far too much respect being given to the opposition.
Treat them with contempt, score seven and then relax.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Re: Re: Re: How I would LOVE England to line up tonight

nomad_seagull said:
Interestingly enough Gerrard at right back was the formation Jimmy Armfield was suggesting on Radio 5 live last night, his argument was that against a team like T and T it gave us much more attacking options.

Not sure I agree but the suggestion obviously isn't as stupid as you make out.

:D he OBVIOUSLY knows what hes talking about as well then !!!

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Redhead said:
-----------------James

Carragher Terry Ferdinand Cole

-----------Hargreaves

Beckham Gerrard Cole

-----------Owen Crouch

I'd like to see that give Hargreaves a fair crack, rest Lamps up and get Gerrard in a decent position for his talent.

We should win this at a canter so lets spread the caps around and give a few players a feel for it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd like to see Gerrard in that slightly free-er more advanced role we tried out against Hungary. I thought that was moderately successful, and against this lot this afternoon he could cause havoc there.

nomad_seagull

Jul 27, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: How I would LOVE England to line up tonight

blockhseagull said:
Why coz Armfield suggested it

:dunce:

Well how stupid of me.

I thought that the comments of a guy who played the game for 20 years and over 500 games, had represented England in the World Cup, who missed out on being in the 1966 England squad only through injury and who played at right back might be of some value in a discussion about who we should play there tonight ..... but there you go I deserve the dunces cap obviously.

E

enigma

Gerrard isnt a bad idea at right back, although I probably wouldnt go for it. Would give us more options down the right and he would link well with Beckham I'm sure.

I cant remember who it was that said it was utter bollocks that Lampard and Gerrard cant play together, but ask yourself this- have either of them played to anywhere near their club level when together?

They might be our best central midfielders, but doesnt mean they should play together.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
enigma said:
Gerrard isnt a bad idea at right back, although I probably wouldnt go for it. Would give us more options down the right and he would link well with Beckham I'm sure.

I cant remember who it was that said it was utter bollocks that Lampard and Gerrard cant play together, but ask yourself this- have either of them played to anywhere near their club level when together?

They might be our best central midfielders, but doesnt mean they should play together.

Club football is a completly different game to international football, generally its a lot easier for a start which gives Lampard and Gerrard more 'time' to play how they want. When playing internationals they have to be more disaplined and unfortunatly more defensive as well under Sven !!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
enigma said:

Do any of our team play anywhere near their club level under Sven

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
Im thinking Ronaldinho and Kaka may have something to say about that!
And Lampard, Xavi, Deco, Riquelme, Ballack, Nedved, Rosicky, Zidane, Messi, etc. :)

-------------Robinson----------
Carragher--Terry--Ferdinand---Cole
Beckham--Carrick--Lampard---Cole
----------Owen---Crouch-------

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How I would LOVE England to line up tonight

nomad_seagull said:
Well how stupid of me.

I thought that the comments of a guy who played the game for 20 years and over 500 games, had represented England in the World Cup, who missed out on being in the 1966 England squad only through injury and who played at right back might be of some value in a discussion about who we should play there tonight ..... but there you go I deserve the dunces cap obviously.

Never said you were stupid but playing one of our players out of position like that, especially against a side we should beat is stupid.

We need a settled side, the team don't play enough football together as it is if we pay Gerrard at right back then next week in midfield it is pointless

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
REDLAND said:
Club football is a completly different game to international football, generally its a lot easier for a start which gives Lampard and Gerrard more 'time' to play how they want. When playing internationals they have to be more disaplined and unfortunatly more defensive as well under Sven !!
Both of them play in systems that suit them better for their clubs.

Liverpool play with a defensive midfielder (last season Hamman, this season Sissoko) alongside Alonso who sits quite deep and dictates the play. Gerrard is allowed a more free role either on the right or in the gap between midfield and attack. This suits him down to the ground, he doesn't have the discipline to play an orthodox central midfield role.

And Lampard plays in a three with Makalele and last season Tiago and this Essien, which allows him a lot more attacking freedom.

However if you put them both together in a midfield duo it's not surprising they don't play well, neither is the type to sit in midfield and dictate the play.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How I would LOVE England to line up tonight

blockhseagull said:
Gerrard at right back then next week in midfield it is pointless

I don't think it is Gerrard has played there for Liverpool and it would give the team far MORE attacking benifits than Carrager.

I don't see why out of all the games in the WC we need to be defensive tonight.

How many shots on target did T&T have against Sweden ?

E

enigma

Silent Bob said:
Both of them play in systems that suit them better for their clubs.

Liverpool play with a defensive midfielder (last season Hamman, this season Sissoko) alongside Alonso who sits quite deep and dictates the play. Gerrard is allowed a more free role either on the right or in the gap between midfield and attack. This suits him down to the ground, he doesn't have the discipline to play an orthodox central midfield role.

And Lampard plays in a three with Makalele and last season Tiago and this Essien, which allows him a lot more attacking freedom.

However if you put them both together in a midfield duo it's not surprising they don't play well, neither is the type to sit in midfield and dictate the play.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Spot on. I still dont think either of them can play at their uninhibited best, knowing that the other one has to to do the donkey work while they go off and attack.

E

enigma

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How I would LOVE England to line up tonight

REDLAND said:
I don't think it is Gerrard has played there for Liverpool and it would give the team far MORE attacking benifits than Carrager.

I don't see why out of all the games in the WC we need to be defensive tonight.

How many shots on target did T&T have against Sweden ?

I can definitely see your line of thinking. This is a game we have to win, and T and T dont offer enough of an attacking threat to pressure Gerrard, while the team would benefit as an atacking force.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How I would LOVE England to line up tonight

enigma said:
I can definitely see your line of thinking. This is a game we have to win, and T and T dont offer enough of an attacking threat to pressure Gerrard, while the team would benefit as an atacking force.
I'm not sure about that. Whoever they play on the left will have pace - Cornell Glen or Kenwyne Jone - and our right centrback is Terry who is not the quickest. Whoever the opposition I think it would be stupid to leave us potentially exposed in such a way.

E

enigma

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How I would LOVE England to line up tonight

Silent Bob said:
I'm not sure about that. Whoever they play on the left will have pace - Cornell Glen or Kenwyne Jone - and our right centrback is Terry who is not the quickest. Whoever the opposition I think it would be stupid to leave us potentially exposed in such a way.

OK, I see what you're saying. But Beckham tracks back well, so Gerrard wouldnt be isolated. He's also not slow himself. He is a better right back than Niclas Alexandersson as well, lets remember.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
The Large One said:
Right now, I see absolutely no reason for taking Beckham off. One, he's the skipper, and a very good one at that, and two, he's in pretty decent form.

Having said that, I don't buy for one second this complete and utter bollocks that Lampard and Gerrard 'can't play together'. I wonder if that said that about Platini and Rocheteau...?

Although I agree Beckham deserves his place, I'm not sure we'll see the best of this side until Beckham gives up; in Lampard, Gerrard and Cole, we have three superb attacking players, but two of the three are currently held back by our formation. With no Beckham, you could stick a holding player in front of the defence, and give them much greater freedom.

Although Gerrard and Lampard could play together, they can't in this formation - you can't play 4-4-2 with four attacking players in midfield.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
zefarelly said:
Robinson

Carragher Terry Ferdinand Cole

Hargreaves

Beckham Gerrard Cole

Owen Crouch

2nd half subs if required would be Rooney for Owen and Lampard for Gerrard or Hargreaves . . . . possibly Lennon for Beckham

still not convinced by Ashley Cole, but theres no one better

I really hope we don't need a holding player to hang on against a couple of hasbeens and league 1 players! I know they played ok v the swedes, but I also saw them v Wales and an average sunday league side could have beaten them that day!

Would never start a game with Hargreaves - I think it indicates a negative frame of mind. Actually would never play Hargreaves - it's still a complete mystery what he does! Ok so Bayern M are a decent side in an ordinart league, but as far as I recall no top English, Spanish or Italian clubs have ever been linked with him which suggests he's not world class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here