Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How hot can you take your curry?

How hot can you take you curry?

• Total voters

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Strangely I prefer to be able to taste what I'm eating when I'm eating it so I'll stick to the Buhna or Rogan josh.

What about the lime chille pickles?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I actually make my own ruby's and have been eating my mums (Sub Asian by birth) since I was knee high to a grasshopper, hers were pretty mild really, mine go way off the phal radar, it hurts sometimes but always enjoyable... mouth is watering now!

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Big fan of Chicken Tarka m'self . . .

. . . bit like a tikka, but a little 'otter

You could at least get the joke right

Diner " What's Tarka Dhal"

Waiter " It's like normal dhal, only otter"

IMO works better because there actually is a dish called tarka dhal

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I still have a vindaloo from time to time. Last had one a month or so ago at The Ganges. I had some phals and tinderloos as a student.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
ive done a phall on brick lane, but not as hot as some vindies ive had,

Yoda

English & European
I've had a few Phall's up to about 5-6 years ago, prefer taste to heat now but can handle spice (tried one of those naga chilli's last year).

Once had a Phall at a place on Broad Street that blew my mouth (and later arse) away. Wasn't normally on the menu so they made it special.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
A medium to hot Madras will do me fine, like to taste and enjoy my food rather than just destroy the taste buds...most Indians think the British obsession with eating the hottest curry is a bit strange, many of them don't eat ridiculously hot food anyway, just spicy!

Someone mentioned lime pickle...I love that stuff, even a whiff of it has me salivating, usually have it as an accompaniment to a fairly mild lamb curry...tasty!

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
I beleive I will have to down many orders of curry while in England. Never had one myself, the joys ofl iving in the middle of no where!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A medium to hot Madras will do me fine, like to taste and enjoy my food rather than just destroy the taste buds...most Indians think the British obsession with eating the hottest curry is a bit strange, many of them don't eat ridiculously hot food anyway, just spicy!

Someone mentioned lime pickle...I love that stuff, even a whiff of it has me salivating, usually have it as an accompaniment to a fairly mild lamb curry...tasty!

Lime pickle is of course lush. A healthy dollop on a piece of poppodom is the way to go. Lamb is the best meat to curry as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I beleive I will have to down many orders of curry while in England. Never had one myself, the joys ofl iving in the middle of no where!

Oh boy, you've got it all to come. I'm slightly jealous. They are certainly one of life's pleasures, best devoured with a pint of Cobra.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Lime pickle is of course lush. A healthy dollop on a piece of poppodom is the way to go. Lamb is the best meat to curry as well.

Exactly...agree with you on the lamb as well, the meat absorbs all the flavours far better than anything else I have curried. I found a recipe card for lamb rogan josh in Sainsbury's this week, including potato and spinach, will be making a pot of that at the weekend.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Last time I asked for a vindaloo I had to explain I wanted it "Indian hot, not toned down for the locals".

Then the waiters watched me eat, and I scoffed it down followed by glasses of water to make it feel hotter.
It really wasn't all that, to be honest. I haven't tried a phall, and perhaps the restaurant I was in (Church Rd N.side near the library area) was just a bit weak

Have you been to India?

I found when I was there that the food generally wasn't that hot. Spiced very nicely, but not hot just for the sake of it. I suspect the whole thing of adding masses of chillies to a curry caters more for the macho culture that often prevades in this country, whereby a bunch of guys go out for beers and it's seen as a sort of challenge to see who can eat the hottest curry?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here