Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How hot can you take your curry?

How hot can you take you curry?

• Total voters

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Actually Edna seems like a game bird. Reckon she might be able to see off a madras or something :lol:

Funny you should say that :lolol:

I don't even like kormas, I'm not a big fan of coconut to be honest, but I do like a nice Jalfrezi, in particular the Chicken Jalfrezi Balti from the Green Chilli in Haywards Heath. I have had a vindaloo before...well most of a vindaloo...when entertained by some American work clients a few years back and trying to prove to them that food with strong flavour does actually exist. It wasn't quite as hot as I'd built myself up to believe, so I guess when it comes down to it, I am a bit of a chilli lover.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Had to vote Bhuna, as no option for Jalfrezi, which if it is good I love. Had a lovely Lamb Bhuna down my local Indian on Northcote Road on Monday night, and might just go for a Tandoori Mixed Grill at the Indian up the road from the Seagulls over London pub on Thursday night (normally I eat at the pub, but with Gus there last time, there wasn't even standing room, let alone sitting room). Simply Indian, Tabard Street, well recommended if you are in that part of London. Says bring your own drink, but the bunch of City guys that were in there asked for beers and the waiter went behind the counter and got some. Mind you, my mum does a mean Rogan Josh (chicken or lamb), and I also like the curries Cook do.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
My mum is half Indian and I was bought up eating Indian food.
I like a hot curry, I used to work for a bit as a student taking orders at a local Indian takeaway and used to get a free curry to take home.
The cooks name was Asim and he made what he called a Tindaloo and said If I could eat it in front of him he would give me another to take home.
I ate it, sweat buckets and took another home for mum.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I suspect the whole thing of adding masses of chillies to a curry caters more for the macho culture that often prevades in this country, whereby a bunch of guys go out for beers and it's seen as a sort of challenge to see who can eat the hottest curry?

Way off radar.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Me and the Mrs went to Cornwall last year for a long weekend. Lovely hotel, but fancied going for a curry one night. Found this curry house near St. Austell and duly ordered a madras as that is what I usually get from the Nupur in Hurtspierpoint. Well, this madras was the hottest one I have ever had. Whilst trying to engage in conversation with said Mrs, my eyes were streaming, my face was bright red and sweat was pouring off me whilst she was pissing herself laughing at my plight. Spent the next 2 days with an arse that was a cross between a japanese flag and a tattered windsock!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Have eaten Vindas, madras etc., tried part of a Phall once too. I like a bit of spice, but really want to taste my food so usually go for something like a Bhuna (particularly like the Bhunas from a restaurant in East Preston, but as I live in Shoreham, can't be arsed to get there unless I'm visitng my parents near there).

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
How hot can I take it? All the way up to 11 if need be. But I don't generally as for me it's more about balancing heat and flavour. A proper Goan vindaloo is nowhere near as "hot" as some of the rubbish created in Bangladeshi-run curry houses that are basically the same sauce as all the other dishes but with an extra spoon of chilli powder heaped in for effect. But it is far tastier.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I can eat a vindaloo, but tend to regret it in the morning...!

My standard order is a chicken tikka dupiaza, but cooked to madras hot with a few green chillies chucked in (so much like a jalfrezi, but with more onion & peppers). But from a decent restaurant, you can't beat lamb in a curry - melt in your mouth lamb beats chicken ANY DAY. I do get disappointed if the lamb's chewy though and that makes me wish I had chicken!

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
How hot can I take it? All the way up to 11 if need be. But I don't generally as for me it's more about balancing heat and flavour. A proper Goan vindaloo is nowhere near as "hot" as some of the rubbish created in Bangladeshi-run curry houses that are basically the same sauce as all the other dishes but with an extra spoon of chilli powder heaped in for effect. But it is far tastier.

All true, but if chillies are used properly, and without just resorting to a dollop of slop from a sauce bucket, there doesn't necessarily have to be a trade-off between heat and flavour. I had a jungle curry at a Thai in Dublin last month which was ferociously hot, but every mouthful was bursting with taste too. When it's done right, it's a bit like turning up the colour on the TV to maximum. Everything intensifies. I had a Ghost Pepper soup in the US a few months ago which was the same.
It's the execution that's flawed in so many curry houses.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
All true, but if chillies are used properly, and without just resorting to a dollop of slop from a sauce bucket, there doesn't necessarily have to be a trade-off between heat and flavour. I had a jungle curry at a Thai in Dublin last month which was ferociously hot, but every mouthful was bursting with taste too. When it's done right, it's a bit like turning up the colour on the TV to maximum. Everything intensifies. I had a Ghost Pepper soup in the US a few months ago which was the same.
It's the execution that's flawed in so many curry houses.

:thumbsup: For complex flavours while still making your scalp itch and your eyebrows sweat, Korean and Thai both do it for me.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
As Edna pointed out, actually the curries generally in India are not excrutiatingly hot, even those from south, however try a Thai beef salad for torture beyond belief...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I once ordered a Rogan that seemed as hot as a Phall in Kashmirs in Bradford, what a wonderful curry establishment that place is. :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I occasionally like a vindaloo but for the most part madras hot is enough. Thai jungle curries are nice and hot too.

I went to a restaurant in Bromley before the Charlton game and had the best curry I've ever had in the UK. Not hot at all, just exquisite flavours and f***ing expensive too - £30 for one course and a pint of Indian beer.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I like Jalfrezi or Ceylon. My uncle married a woman from Bangladesh and the curries she makes are disgustingly hot! The one she made for me was apparently mild and I was having to drink pints of yogurt too cool my mouth down. Meanwhile my little cousins, who have curry and rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner were complaining it wasn't hot enough.

I like Jalfrezi or Ceylon. My uncle married a woman from Bangladesh and the curries she makes are disgustingly hot! The one she made for me was apparently mild and I was having to drink pints of yogurt too cool my mouth down. Meanwhile my little cousins, who have curry and rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner were complaining it wasn't hot enough.

Do you like sex?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here