Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Green actually is Brighton and Hove?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I've been amazed how difficult Brighton have made recycling. Only collected every 2 weeks, and if you dare to wrongly sort it, it gets left... well, at that point it goes straight in the main bin at mine to be collected a few days later.

Bit of a ridiculous comment. How hard is it to separate glass from all the rest? And because of you failing to do this you then throw all your recyling in with the main rubbish because you're pissed off about it not being collected as if it's the council worker's fault!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bit of a ridiculous comment. How hard is it to separate glass from all the rest? And because of you failing to do this you then throw all your recyling in with the main rubbish because you're pissed off about it not being collected as if it's the council worker's fault!

Indeed. Seperating glass from the rest? MY GOD! HOW DO I DO THAT.

Recycling takes NO time and people SHOULD take some responsibility for it themselves.

One issue i do have is rubbish collection. I'm in favour of these big black bins on street corners. In my area people don't really have the space to keep rubbish in their property so it goes out on the street when the bin is full. I live in a big student area and they create a lot of rubbish and it is left on the steet for brids and foxes to spread about. Thankfully we are getting these new bins but currently the streets are a MESS. The only party member to come to my door to talk over this so far....Green.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Recycling takes NO time and people SHOULD take some responsibility for it themselves.

One issue i do have is rubbish collection. I'm in favour of these big black bins on street corners. In my area people don't really have the space to keep rubbish in their property so it goes out on the street when the bin is full. I live in a big student area and they create a lot of rubbish and it is left on the steet for brids and foxes to spread about. Thankfully we are getting these new bins but currently the streets are a MESS. The only party member to come to my door to talk over this so far....Green.

This. Unfortunately I only have one of those big black bins o/s my place in the CENTRE and so everything gets put there. However if they had another for recyclables then I would be quite happy to sort but as it stands I dont have the option.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Those big bins are brilliant my street has gone from being a tip to scrubbing up relatively nicely now. Also these bins get emptied every day and are rarely overflowing, and this in a street that is completely multi-occupier. Can't understand the objections that some nimbys have with these bins at all.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So enlighten me, with the council elections coming up. What are the Green party doing for Brighton?

You're making it sound like that The Green Party is responsible for green policing in the city, and that they're in power. They're only the second party on the council, about 12 seats behind the Tories. They promote re-cycling (and other green issues) across the city, but they don't hold the purse strings to enforce things. Plus... they have little or no influence in places like Patcham, Westdene, Rottingdean, Woodingdean and west Hove.

We have the bluest of the blue in West Sussex, and they've been doing it for a while now, see my post above.

Perhaps they could persuade their colleagues to improve things in the city.

There is still a fair amount of resistance to re-cycling, amid accusation of 'nanny-state' or 'green' politics (that's only for hippies, you know). Whoever controls the refuse budget in Brighton & Hove is going to come up against a fair whack of grizzling and non-compliance.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A genuine comment here, in light of Chappers point about students. How come they are so very messy? They are the ones we see protesting about so many causes, mostly for the good and right, but how come they make such a mess all the time? Surely, as they are such sensitive and compassionate souls, they should be leading the way here, recycling and green issues are surely their staple? How come they create so much rubbish? They should be the best at recycling, I'd expect them to be minimsing their waste output, re-using and recycling at every opportunity.

I back this up with my own efforts, we have a rubbish collection once a week, and nowadays our [rubbish] bin is rarely any more than a third full. We've really tried to reduce the rubbish we produce, and make sure everything that can, goes in the recycling bin. Even a bit of strategic shopping to not buy stuff that is overly packaged, and better still if you can, leave the unnecessary packaging in the supermarket, let them get rid of it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
in the royal borough of Myle Oake, we have three recycling boxes, one for glass, one for paper and cardboards etc and one for plastic.

But when the weather is bad or they cant get into our close, which they use as an excuse sometimes, we can go a month without collection, so they all end up in bin bags and put in teh general rubbish bin or taken to the tip in Shoreham by B&Q

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
A genuine comment here, in light of Chappers point about students. How come they are so very messy? They are the ones we see protesting about so many causes, mostly for the good and right, but how come they make such a mess all the time? Surely, as they are such sensitive and compassionate souls, they should be leading the way here, recycling and green issues are surely their staple? How come they create so much rubbish? They should be the best at recycling, I'd expect them to be minimsing their waste output, re-using and recycling at every opportunity.

I back this up with my own efforts, we have a rubbish collection once a week, and nowadays our [rubbish] bin is rarely any more than a third full. We've really tried to reduce the rubbish we produce, and make sure everything that can, goes in the recycling bin. Even a bit of strategic shopping to not buy stuff that is overly packaged, and better still if you can, leave the unnecessary packaging in the supermarket, let them get rid of it.

To be fair they DO recycle a lot round my way (you can see bulging recycing bins outside all the houses) but because they tend to have more rubbish (more occupants in each house all cooking seperately) they need to leave it on the street. I can understand this and it's not entirely their fauly a mess is made. The rubbish just needs to be collected more often. Only last week one of the rubbish trucks was out of service (maybe it was a recycling one) and nothing was collected for a week and the area turned into a shithole. Generally, the area is nice, it's just when the collecting dates change/don't happen at all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Eastleigh Borough here have been right at the top of the recycling tables for many years.

People here have FIVE bins!

Black wheelie; general rubbish - collected fortnightly
Green wheelie; cardboard, plastics, etc - collected fortnightly
Black plastic box: glass - collected monthly
Big green bag; garden waste - collected weekly (this is optional, and costs about 40p a week)
Brown plastic box (with lid): food waste -collected weekly (optional, but free)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Eastleigh Borough here have been right at the top of the recycling tables for many years.

Big green bag; garden waste - collected weekly (this is optional, and costs about 40p a week)

Per household? Bloody hell.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
How big a part of being a Green City is recycling policy? Personally I'd say transport policy for one would be a bigger issue (not sure how B&H does here).

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010

I'm talking about accidently not sorting it correctly. I'm not saying at all that it's the council worker's fault either. I'm saying it's the council policy, which on the theme of the original post, doesn't make recycling easy - other areas don't have this issue.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just moved back to dear old Brighton from Worthing, and am surprised to find that this supposedly Green city with its Green Councillors and Green MP seem to be rather backward when it comes to Green issues.
What do you expect when the Green MP Caroline Lucas doesn't even live here. She lives in Belgium. Wow, that's a great green idea.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I do object to the general rubbish only being collected fortnighly, I think it should be weekly, especially in summer - although, given that you have seperate food waste, container maybe it's ok. I would like one of those, I hate chucking waste food in with the general rubbish, and yes, I COULD compost it I suppose, but I just wouldn't.

But the point is they are supposed to be encouraging everyone to recycle; even the lazy CBA types. Making it inanely complicated is not going to achieve that aim. Clearly there's a balance to be had between adding extra sorting processes (which I'm sure you're right does detract from the green credentials) versus encouraging people to recycle (and therefore recycling significantly more). Here we have 3 large wheelie bins; one for general waste (black bin), one for recyclable waste (everything from tetra packs to cardboard/paper to glass, blue bin) and one for 'green' waste (i.e. food or garden, green bin), with the black collected one week and the green/black the next, and it works a treat.

Oh yeah, well I get the point, but I'm reading more people complaining that it's "inanely complicated" to sort their recycling stuff when - if you are thinking yourselves conscientious green-focused folks then it's a simple effort for the individual to work out or else find out. I can imagine the process is flawed in some ways as they always are (or could always be improved). Are people really saying that in the computer age, they can't figure out how to recycle - or that they haven't found out/bothered to try for how the bins are set out?
There's usually a reason why some things aren't taken as recycle-worthy, and it could be that it costs more or is even less fuel-economical to sort through some kinds of waste to get it recycled. For quite a while there has been the triangle stamp on stuff that indicates it can be re-used, BUT you will find several weighty/bulky items of very-similar construction that are NOT recyclable! Ridiculous it is, but the blame lies with the manufacturer and therefore the buyer too in some way.
Sensible shopping will probably help you discover it's worthwhile to use farmer shops once every so often and perhaps butcher shops - where packaging doesn't normally include a big polystyrene (or whatever) tray for a few slices of meat or a chicken, and you can even bring your own polythene bags (or snaplock containers) to hold what you bought. I mean if you are taking a sliced meat home and putting it into a container anyway, why not really be Green and negate the need for the materials to be used in the first place.
Just a thought or two, if you really mean to be Green

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Just basic communism really. Plus the fact the Brighton with its 'diversity' and lack of a real local commumity was seen as a prime target for the Greens to 'install' their first MP.

She has done nothing for Pavillion in just under a year , despite what the deluded might tell you. Most of who incidently, don't live in Pavillion.

Pretty accurate ,I would say!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But the point is they are supposed to be encouraging everyone to recycle; even the lazy CBA types. Making it inanely complicated is not going to achieve that aim. .

You find putting glass in a seperate box to everything else "inanely complicated"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here