Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How far can you go back?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Today would have been my Dad's 103rd birthday, yesterday my Gran's 130th.
My Gran died when I was in my late teens but it's nice to know I knew somebody born in 1882.

So, how far back can you go with people you have actually met?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
One of my Great Uncles was born in 1890 & I can remember him as an old boy in his eighties.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My folks have traced back to the 1600s, my fathers side. Cornish Methodist preachers, it seems. We were also big in Northwich, in the salt mining industry, and there are various roads/landmarks named after my forefathers. I have been 'blessed' with their surname as one of my middle names.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
That's a good family tree but how fae back on one you physically met, even if you were just a babe in arms?

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
My great grand mother was born in 1895 - she died in 1984 when I was 12 years old. Amazing woman - as hard as nails. Would of like to have seen her at centre half. Didn't have great pace but would never have shirked a 50:50 challenge.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Oh sorry! Must read properly.

My great aunt Con was born in 1900 and I think she is the oldest relative I met (me being born in 1980). She died when I was about 12, but didn't find out for about 5 years!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
My paternal grandmother was born in 1910 which is as far as it goes back for me I think - my paternal grandfather may have been born earlier but I never met him.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My wife's grandfather is 100 and still going strong. I was having him a chat with him at the weekend.

Anything wrong with his memory etc.. is simply down to his age (if that make sense), he doesn't suffer from dementia or anything similar. My point being that when he is focused, is is fascinating talking to someone who has been around for so long - who can vividly remember the war.

The oldest ancestor I actually met was my great grandfather, Tom Bolam - born at Esh, County Durham, in 1862 (his 150th birthday is in two weeks time). He started his working life as an agricultural labourer, progressed to being a cartman for the Co-op, and ended up as a labourer in a lead works. For some of his life, he lived on the Scotswood Road, made famous by The Blaydon Races. He was the son of Irish famine immigrants. His father came from Stokane, Co Sligo, and his mother was from Co Clare. His mother died in Gateshead Workhouse.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
My grandad was born in 1914, that's the oldest I know, not as impressive as 19th century but I am not very old.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
My dad, who would now be 89, once told me that his dad (my grandad, was born around 1880) once met a man who had fought at the Battle Of Waterloo ! Amazing when you think about it.

Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
My grandfather was born 1893,killed at the Somme aged 27....11 days before War ended. Dad died 1980 at the age of 68,mother still going strong at 96 and living in Hove....Actually.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
From my Mum's family, my Grandfather who I just about remember, died in the early 50's he was 93. So about 1860 or so.
My Mum is 94, her memory is not so good but when asked some years ago what she remembered about her Mother in Law( My Dad's Mum) she said she thought she had died before she met my Dad.
I replied, after inspecting their marriage certificate." That's strange as she appears to have been a witness at your wedding." :lol:

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
MRS. Tiberious's Grandmother was 103 in January and still alive.............. She is a nice person but I am concerned my mother -in- law might live that long as well.....

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
By my reckoning, my maternal grandfather would have been about 112 this year, and I knew him very well - smoked endlessly and drank a lot and died at 84, very overweight, so you never know.

Last friday, would have been my dads 80th, but unfortunately we spent a while that day scattering his ashes somewhere v.nice in Shoreham.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
My Grandmother was born in 1873, that's 139 years ago; I have a photo of her and me when I was just a wee bab.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
My Nan was born in 1899 and died in May 2001, she lived in three different centuries!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here