Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you want Dick Knight to vote on Leeds?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
If Brighton & Hove Albion vote to uphold the 15pt penalty, we're nothing but a bunch of hypocrites and I will be ashamed; after all the support we've had from clubs around the country in the past 12 years we should never vote to the detriment of a club. The spirit of the rules has been broken but not the rules themselves. They've got lucky and the FA, yet again, are the people found wanting. Leeds are a massive club, the fans are suffering, and we all know the chairmen and the past and present boards are responsible for the mess they're in. But whilst the supporters rally to remove Bates (and it'll take time) a points deduction will just punish the fans. Don't do it Dick!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If Brighton & Hove Albion vote to uphold the 15pt penalty, we're nothing but a bunch of hypocrites and I will be ashamed; after all the support we've had from clubs around the country in the past 12 years we should never vote to the detriment of a club. The spirit of the rules has been broken but not the rules themselves. They've got lucky and the FA, yet again, are the people found wanting. Leeds are a massive club, the fans are suffering, and we all know the chairmen and the past and present boards are responsible for the mess they're in. But whilst the supporters rally to remove Bates (and it'll take time) a points deduction will just punish the fans. Don't do it Dick!

The alternative to a points deduction is for the club to fold. I think the points deduction is a better offer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No-brainer - uphold.

Knight should not feel any guilt for putting the boot in. When we were completing against Leeds in the Championship both clubs didn't have a pot to piss in, but we weren't the ones signing million pound players. Leeds could neither afford to buy them or, as the Inland Revenue can confirm, even pay their wages.

The authorities should have a duty of care to ensure that clubs operate good governance and prudent financial management, and clubs that infringe must be penalised appropriately.

In my book they are doing Leeds a favour. League 1 football will cap the wages and transfer fees that Leeds under Bates would otherwise rack up.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Since Wisey has said they'll get 105 points,increase it!

But seriously,folks,10 points would be a more fit punishment in line with others who go into admin.

Yes,yes,...............I KNOW.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The alternative to a points deduction is for the club to fold. I think the points deduction is a better offer.

Rubbish - it would never happen.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Havent got a "soft spot" for Leeds, but I'm feeling very sad for that club at the moment.

Their recent history doesn't help - from reading their boards a lot of fans are living in the past and the initiatives organised by the supporters club are just being disregarded.

I really hope they can mobilise themselves, but I fear the fans are unable to do so. I guess ours was a gradual demise, but theirs seems to have happened so quickly.

Reminds me of that little Britain Sketch with the bloke in the DIY swap who thinks he's still a childrens TV presenter.

As for the points deduction, the only part of that supports it, is the part of me that hopes that someone one will come in and save the club from the present owners.

Their supporters need to understand that those supporting it are mainly doing so for the good of football. Unfortunately some seem to be suffering from a lack of appreciation of the good of football, which is a Premiership disease.

You're not in the Premiership anymore Leeds, and the sooner the fans realise the sooner they'll be able to so something to get themselves back there.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

I heard Dick Knight himself talking about it last night. I think he knows a bit more about these sort of situations than you.
He was telling us about the time the football chairmen wanted to throw us out of the league.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

If the alternative to a points deduction is for the club to fold, why are Leeds are appealing against the deduction?

From what you are saying, Leeds are effectively applying to terminate the club.

Doesn't make sense to my simplistic mind.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Nor mine but who knows what Bates is up to?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...the irony of us being at Elland Road on the day that Bates was introduced as their new chairman, he hasn't built a hotel yet and they can't get rid of him. I don't think that he is the real root of their problems, they began several years ago when the club was relegated from the Premiership, but he doesn't appear to have done anything to reverse their fortunes.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Stop pussyfooting around and double it....they knew the rules,broke them.... they must pay

How can you get away with paying large wages and not to pay over the PAYE !

Last edited:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004

it would have.

the fl had to impose this penalty to appease the other member clubs, because "The spirit of the rules has been broken but not the rules themselves." is not true. bates purchased the club outside of a cva and there were no special circumstances that forced him to do so (in the real eyes of the fl) they created a 'circumstance' to allow us to play but take the penalty.

if we have not been given the 15pt penalty the club could not start the season. that was a very real prospect. so much so that there was a whole contingency plan in place for this eventuality ranging from the players registrations to the stock in the stationary cupboard in the ticket office.

the fl blinked to bates and we're damn grateful they did. i dont like bates but i do want to watch football on a saturday afternoon.

bates is appealing because if he didn't it would be him holding his hands up and saying "i'm a crook." knocking five points from it would just be a bonus now. starting behind everyone else is the least of our worries.

we might get relegated, we might not, but we can still go and watch football (though i use that word lightly, its about 8 years since anyone played football at er)

bates wont be there forever, very much doubt he will be there until the end of the season.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
No-brainer - uphold.

When we were completing against Leeds in the Championship both clubs didn't have a pot to piss in, but we weren't the ones signing million pound players. Leeds could neither afford to buy them or, as the Inland Revenue can confirm, even pay their wages.

The authorities should have a duty of care to ensure that clubs operate good governance and prudent financial management, and clubs that infringe must be penalised appropriately.

:thumbsup:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uphold it. The situation can't really be compared to Archer et al. The football league are obviously trying their hardest to sort out this mess and Ken Bates has been having none of it.

Minus 15 points is not going to destroy the club and they have got off lightly thus far. The whole point is that the FL must clamp down on this sort of behaviour.

Leeds may be losing out in a bid to return to the Championship immediatly, but a lot of innocent parties have been stung, through the actions of Ken Bates.

Portlock - How does a points deduction punish the fans? Isn't it about watching the club play, rather than anything else?

larus

Uphold it.

I feel sorry as it's the fans of Leeds who are suffering because of the owners. They abused the rules last year (which have now been changed), and Bates (the owner of the company), has probably defrauded the creditors of the old Leeds United company by the manner in which he acquired control of the club. He didn't want to enter into the CVA, so he decided to try to force the Leagues hand.

The FL had to stand up, and to a certain extent they have done. The other shysters in this are KPMG who will be earning very nicely thank you from the whole mess.

it would have.

the fl had to impose this penalty to appease the other member clubs, because "The spirit of the rules has been broken but not the rules themselves." is not true. bates purchased the club outside of a cva and there were no special circumstances that forced him to do so (in the real eyes of the fl) they created a 'circumstance' to allow us to play but take the penalty.

if we have not been given the 15pt penalty the club could not start the season. that was a very real prospect. so much so that there was a whole contingency plan in place for this eventuality ranging from the players registrations to the stock in the stationary cupboard in the ticket office.

the fl blinked to bates and we're damn grateful they did. i dont like bates but i do want to watch football on a saturday afternoon.

bates is appealing because if he didn't it would be him holding his hands up and saying "i'm a crook." knocking five points from it would just be a bonus now. starting behind everyone else is the least of our worries.

we might get relegated, we might not, but we can still go and watch football (though i use that word lightly, its about 8 years since anyone played football at er)

bates wont be there forever, very much doubt he will be there until the end of the season.

Amazing stuff!
The FA fall short in providing for these circumstances to come about in the first place though, and if they blink, or get egg on their faces again and again, I only wonder how their members get to be in that position.
Again and again, they prove to have no handle on the chairmen, no control over transfers and player registrations, and are a continual embarrassment in the handling of England management.

They let our club down, they have watched while Leeds have been mismanaged, and have to bend and stretch regulations to squeeze them under the door to even stay in the league.

It's all so easy to blame the Allardyces for under-the-table deals for players, and changes-in-management talks.
Simple to scowl at West Ham for skirting player-ownership rules.
Convenient to blame clubs and fans when they fight for their own club's survivals against money-grabbers.

It's always been the fault of the FA. That's where the buck should always land, where the questions should be asked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here