Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you make the ideal Chillie Con Carne

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Mr Alex Dawson take a bow - I used that recipie last night, polished off a wonderful bottle of Barolo (was the only red in the house) and watched The Mission starrging Jeremy Irons and RObert de Niro (great film with an amazind Enio Morricone soundtrack).

It was a steaming success - flavoursome both palate and after taste and was enjoyed in the peace and quiet of a doris free house.

Tremendous.

More tips welcome on other dishes to create. Perhaps we can have a Cooks Corner sticky - like the NSC arms but for budding chefs to share some tips.

Would appreciate some advice also on the perfect wine to accompany - I love Red but would never purport to be an expert.

Marvellous scenes - although there seems reluctance to use the second floor toilet this morning after i spent an hour up there with The Times.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Mr Alex Dawson take a bow - I used that recipie last night, polished off a wonderful bottle of Barolo (was the only red in the house) and watched The Mission starrging Jeremy Irons and RObert de Niro (great film with an amazind Enio Morricone soundtrack).

It was a steaming success - flavoursome both palate and after taste and was enjoyed in the peace and quiet of a doris free house.

Tremendous.

More tips welcome on other dishes to create. Perhaps we can have a Cooks Corner sticky - like the NSC arms but for budding chefs to share some tips.

Would appreciate some advice also on the perfect wine to accompany - I love Red but would never purport to be an expert.

Marvellous scenes - although there seems reluctance to use the second floor toilet this morning after i spent an hour up there with The Times.

Wine with Chilli? it's got to be something strong enough to stand up to the flavour, so likley a pinot, shiraz or tempranillo on the red side, maybe a chardonnay (if that's your thing) would do on the white or something semi-sparkling.

Personal choice though is a Corona and Lime. :thumbsup:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Put HP sauce into the chilli sauce and it is gorgeous!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't like kidney beans or tinned tomato so I switch them up with baked beans and a little extra tomato puree.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Have to say though, when I'm doing this for myself, I don't go a bundle on kidney beans, so pad it out with plenty of mixed peppers.

Try using a tin of cheapo baked beans instead of the kidney beans, works well to keep the texture.

Oct 2, 2008
Saw a recipe once for CCC with a different twist - add lager !. Seriously, add about half a coffee mug full of lager. It works well particularly if youre making a hot one - the sweetness of the lager slightly tones down the spiciness. The recipe is known as "Firehouse".

That looks pretty good - Chilli should always have cumin and cinnamon in it and be cooked for a long time. I would personally always serve over rice and top with cheddar so it melts.

I would also go with cumin, and also serve on rice with cheddar plus blue cheese dressing. Many years ago you used to be able to get cucumber burger relish, an 'orrible green colour but really went well with chilli. Anyone seen it anywhere?

Almost forgot - like to have chick peas in it as well as red kidney beans.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Making chilli tonight and thought I'd get some help off NSC b4 I start. Everytime I have to brown the mince it turns out rubbery, whether I'm making spag bol, shepherd's pie or chilli. Is it because I cook it on 2 high of a heat or use poor quality mince? Many thanks

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sorry there seem to be some very lightweight heat sources here. In my experience if you have gay tendencies then best stick to birds eye chillis. However if you are a real man may I suggest a teaspoon of Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce which surprisingly is now in ASDA. :blush:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have the perfect recipe but it only works for me and my children. Tell my wife I want it for my dinner and she makes it perfect I have had none that compare with hers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Making chilli tonight and thought I'd get some help off NSC b4 I start. Everytime I have to brown the mince it turns out rubbery, whether I'm making spag bol, shepherd's pie or chilli. Is it because I cook it on 2 high of a heat or use poor quality mince? Many thanks

According to Anthony Worrell Thompson if you use the supermarkets own cheap mince it is no different just cook it a little longer and slower and you will not notice any difference in Chilli, Spag Bol or Lasagne etc.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Sorry there seem to be some very lightweight heat sources here. In my experience if you have gay tendencies then best stick to birds eye chillis. However if you are a real man may I suggest a teaspoon of Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce which surprisingly is now in ASDA. :blush:

Do not do that. I have had this sauce and it is simply obscenely hot, and not in a good way. It ruins any dish it is even put near, never mind in.

There is a scale of spiciness known as Scoville units. Tabasco generally scores between 2,500 to 5,000. Dave's scores 180,000. You have been warned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here