Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
My tips -

Make sure you use plenty of spices, not just chilli powder

Cook it for a long time to let the flavours develop

I would recomend getting some smoked paprika

Use plenty of tomatoes and tomato paste

If you love chilli it's worth getting some proper mexican dried chilies. Try online http://www.coolchile.co.uk/

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
My tips -

Make sure you use plenty of spices, not just chilli powder

/[/URL]

is correct - and those spices should be (seeds - dry fired then ground in a P+M))

Cumin, Caraway,Coriander, Fennel

Scotch Bonnet (habanero) chillies are to hot to use unless you want to burn.

Mixed pulses add variety to texture rather than just using kidney beans.

Chopped chuck steak is better than mince.

Principal herb to be added has to be oregano.

I love to cook and I love food - and a good chillie has been my speciality for years.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
bit late now, but cook it in a slow cooker...........fact.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
My tips -

Cook it for a long time to let the flavours develop

Top advice - I was just going to say that. Simmering on a low hob heat for a good hour and a half works wonders.

I bluddy LOVE chilli!!!

Have to say though, when I'm doing this for myself, I don't go a bundle on kidney beans, so pad it out with plenty of mixed peppers.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Very occasionally, the Basketmakers do a Wild Boar chilli with chocolate and it possibly one of the most sublime things you could ever offer your mouth :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If you're cooking with fresh mince then only lightly cook it before adding the rest of your chosen ingredients. Fresh mince can be treated the same as a steak and therefore cooking it rare maintains it flavour and body.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
chocolate and chilli go well together - FACT. more so cocoa as opposed to chocolate like Dairy Milk or Galaxy :thumbsup:

I had a black bean, chilli and chocolate dish a while back. Sounded vile, worked a treat. It used 85% dark, it was amazing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Seeing the variation in recipes for Chilli reminds me of why I never buy Chilli or Spaghetti Bolognese in a pub simply because they vary so much and if you have never had them before you do not know what to expect.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Seeing the variation in recipes for Chilli reminds me of why I never buy Chilli or Spaghetti Bolognese in a pub simply because they vary so much and if you have never had them before you do not know what to expect.

Which is part of the fun no? If you knew what kind of meal you would be getting in every single place it would be a tad boring? And i'm saying that as a chef.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Frozen Mince - As much as you want
Onion - Half
Mushrooms - A couple
Kidney Beans - Half of a 18p tin
Sauce - Buy one get one free from Morrisons

Cook mince and wack it all in there, before adding the sauce. Serve with rice.

: poorstudent::thumbsup:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Good thread!

I haven't tried it with diced steak instead of mince so I'm gonna have to give that a go. I've put dark chocolate in on occasions - it does add richness but also kind of emulsifies the whole pot a bit, so nowadays generally prefer to leave it out.

My tip is to add, as well as the obligatory kidney beans, some frijoles refritos which tends to just sit underneath and expand on all those fantastic flavours. Mmm

Never tried it with Soy either - might give that a go at the weekend too.

Cheers for the tips!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here