Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How did we do without ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Home Phones will be the ultimate 'WTF' in the future.
Nobody had one, then for a very short period everyone had one, now no one has them again. Can't have been much more than a 25year window in history when they were used.

Er ? the telephone was patented in 1876, although expensive for many early on, I think it was quite commonplace for 100 years or so.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Er ? the telephone was patented in 1876, although expensive for many early on, I think it was quite commonplace for 100 years or so.

We got our first phone around 74I think...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Stats are from the US, but give some worldwide view...

By 1948, the 30 millionth phone was connected in the United States; by the 1960s, there were more than 80 million phone hookups in the U.S. and 160 million in the world; by 1980, there were more than 175 million telephone subscriber lines in the U.S. In 1993, the first digital cellular network went online in Orlando, Florida; by 1995 there were 25 million cellular phone subscribers, and that number exploded at the turn of the century

They weren't in average homes until late 60s/early 70s and then rapidly replaced by mobiles between early 90s and 2000. Phones will have been in public places for a while but were unusual in all but the most grand domestic homes for nearly 100 years.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

By 1948, the 30 millionth phone was connected in the United States; by the 1960s, there were more than 80 million phone hookups in the U.S. and 160 million in the world; by 1980, there were more than 175 million telephone subscriber lines in the U.S. In 1993, the first digital cellular network went online in Orlando, Florida; by 1995 there were 25 million cellular phone subscribers, and that number exploded at the turn of the century

They weren't in average homes until late 60s/early 70s and then rapidly replaced by mobiles between early 90s and 2000. Phones will have been in public places for a while but were unusual in all but the most grand domestic homes for nearly 100 years.

I'll get me coat then ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Wet wipes for yer arris. Can't have a muddy arse these days.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

By 1948, the 30 millionth phone was connected in the United States; by the 1960s, there were more than 80 million phone hookups in the U.S. and 160 million in the world; by 1980, there were more than 17 million telephone subscriber lines in the U.S. In 1993, the first digital cellular network went online in Orlando, Florida; by 1995 there were 25 million cellular phone subscribers, and that number exploded at the turn of the century

Landlines weren't replaced by mobiles in the 90s and 2000s. People didn't get a mobile and chuck out the landline. I would even suggest that most people have a landline phone still although the numbers are diminishing.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Mobile phones whilst shopping. I just cannot believe that we used to make do with a list and a working knowledge of the supermarket layout or indeed the ability to ask someone where something is. To phone someone miles away, preferably on speakerphone so everyone can hear how clever you are, is just a brilliant innovation. :whistle:

Haven't got one yet. Still surviving!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here