Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How did Brazil get the 2014 World Cup

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Not sure if anyone can recall the bidding process that resulted in the Brazilians gettiing the 2014 World Cup.

Was there any scandal? Who lost out? I am fairly sure that Brazil have had it before and they do have a football tradition (snigger) there .

On a separate but related note did FIFA think about whether any other country had a chance of winning the tournament In Brazil? Surely their is precious little competitive edge now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think England may have lost out that time as well :lolol:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Brazil held it in 1950. Im not sure on the bidding process for that tournament. But they are well overdue, more so than England you could argue having won it the most times.

South America is actually well overdue as last one was Argentina 1978.

And no Mexico is NOT South America as far as Im concerned.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Not sure if anyone can recall the bidding process that resulted in the Brazilians gettiing the 2014 World Cup.

Was thier any scandal? Who lost out? I am fairly sure that Brazil have had it before and they do have a football tradition (snigger) there .

On a separate but related note did FIFA think about whther any other country had a chnace of winning the tournament In Brazil? Surely their is precious little competitive edge now.

they have loads of oil and its a bit corrupt and violent too. funny that we have heard that all weekend but no one mentions it when it comes to Brazil.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Brazil held it in 1950. Im not sure on the bidding process for that tournament. But they are well overdue, more so than England you could argue having won it the most times.

Well, they are. As it's about the footballing map, not the real map. Australlia is part of ASIA on the 'footballing map' - so the last time South America held a WC was '78. Still, a long, long time ago.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

It is as South American as Russia IS European.

Oct 25, 2003
"On 7 March 2003, FIFA announced that the tournament would be held in South America for the first time since Argentina hosted the competition in 1978, in line with its policy of rotating the right to host the World Cup amongst different confederations. On 3 June 2003, CONMEBOL announced that Argentina, Brazil, and Colombia wanted to host the 2014 World Cup finals.[1] By 17 March 2004, the CONMEBOL associations had voted unanimously to adopt Brazil as their sole candidate.[2]

Brazil formally declared its candidacy in December 2006 and Colombia followed a few days later. The Argentina bid never materialized. On 11 April 2007, Colombia officially withdrew its bid, Francisco Santos Calderón the vice president of Colombia announced that instead Colombia would be hosting the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup. With this development, Brazil became the only official candidate to host the 2014 event.[3] Brazil won the right to host the event on 30 October 2007 as the only country to enter a bid"

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Well, they are. As it's about the footballing map, not the real map. Australlia is part of ASIA on the 'footballing map' - so the last time South America held a WC was '78. Still, a long, long time ago.

Mexico is definitely North America on whatever map you look at.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
It was the last world cup granted on the continental rotation policy that blatter set up. No other countries in south america put a bid in to host it so Brazil 'won' the right to host the 2014 World cup finals. The continental rotation was then scrapped as i guess it cut down the number of bungs Septic Bladder and his cronies could receive.

I would assume that under the rotation policy it's probably 'the Americas' that now get their turn, and under that auspice the last WC they had was 1994. Assuming that Europe gets every third tournament you can then have one in between in the Americas, and one in Africa/Asia/Middle East. Seems a reasonable balance between the established powerhouses and new members.

edit: oh I had no idea that they'd 'got rid' of the rotation policy. I still suspect that Europe will get every third tournament...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
That makes sense because it was us, Russia, Spain/Port and Belg/Holl as the bidders wasnt it?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Texas was once Mexico!

Remember the Alamo!

images

When Mexico tried to stop America getting the 1836 world Cup.....................Oh!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I seem to recall Mexico only hosted the 1986 World Cup after the original hosts were binned by FIFA for some reason??

Can't remember who it was, but there must have been a war or financial crisis?? Mexico had only hosted it in 1970 so wasn't due another one so soon.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It was supposed to be Colombia, having googled it. They couldn't continue for economic reasons so pulled out in 1983 and Mexico stepped in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here