Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How close is this squad to being top 4?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If we keep getting a little lucky, we can finish top 4.
We need Pervis and Ferdi fit for the rest of the season, or at least Ferdi, to have a chance.
If we have the two first choice full backs, I am happy with most of the alternatives elsewhere on the pitch.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Personally I think we’re still a little way away, although not having Europe to worry about helps, assuming we can finally get a handle on the injuries that have plagued us for the last 2-3 seasons… not that it’s been the best start in that regard.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Blooming heck...the Mushrooms must be a strong old crop this season!!! We've played two shite teams and got the rub of the green in all 3 games. YES probably the strongest and technically gifted squad in my 57yrs of supporting BHA but 'a run at the title'? It will be an exciting season for sure but I think next season is the one we should be getting really getting excited about. Just my opinion.
Next season if I hear the financial rule changes correct we could be picked clean of top talent unless we are in Europe. Without the rub of the green we could have been on zero or 1 point. If our headless chicken routine carried on over half time instead of 20 minutes against Everton for instance.

We've pointed well of 3 teams who may be a lot better the next time we face them, this bodes well and I prefer to be an optimist.

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
Still short in a few areas, for me.

An athletic LCB to partner van Hecke
A new RB
A top DM/CM (although I think Wieffer and Baleba could become a good double pivot)

6th/7th would be a great debut season for Hürzeler. He's still very young and new to this level. It won't always go as smoothly.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Should we manage to get the deals over the line for Ferdi, O'Riley and a centre half then just how close are we to having a top 4 squad?

I look at our options across the pitch and there are a few players that i just wouldnt swap for anyone else. Others i think are up there with the best of them and in no position do i think that we look weak.

Dare we dream?
I think we are a midfield general away, plus a Dunk replacement... he is not top 4 material anymore.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Still short in a few areas, for me.

An athletic LCB to partner van Hecke
A new RB
A top DM/CM (although I think Wieffer and Baleba could become a good double pivot)

6th/7th would be a great debut season for Hürzeler. He's still very young and new to this level. It won't always go as smoothly.

And there I was thinking that we'd signed Ferdi Kadioglu, but I must have been dreaming again :sleep:

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
He plays multiple positions, primarily full back and CM. This has been referenced by him and FH in recent interviews.
We have him, Veltman and Lamptey as RBs this season, potentially Hinshelwood too. We don't need another RB.
I don't think Veltman or Lamptey are good enough for a top 4 team. Not as starters.

Lamptey had serious potential at one point, but his muscular issues have held him back. Knee also.

Hinshelwood will surely play centrally long term.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think we need another full back and a back up centre back.

As well as injuries being on our side.

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
Lamptey’s never been an outstanding defender.
You have to take the good with the bad with some of the more attack minded full-backs.

He was so explosive and dynamic for Chelsea and for Brighton before that initial hamstring injury. :cry:

TAA can be a liability defensively at times for Liverpool. But when he's on his game, he's such an asset from a creative POV.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You have to take the good with the bad with some of the more attack minded full-backs.

He was so explosive and dynamic for Chelsea and for Brighton before that initial hamstring injury. :cry:

TAA can be a liability defensively at times for Liverpool. But when he's on his game, he's such an asset from a creative POV.

Good point. Klopp/Slot opt for risk-reward, happy to give a bit in defence, for the huge number of TAA assists, range of passing and some goals.

Personally I've never rated Lamptey as a defender, although initially (SJP destroying Newcastle for example) his runs forward made up for it. When he had the pace, I felt he might thrive as a RWB in a back 5.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Big Six seems to have dissipated into The Big Three in recent seasons. We've just taken a point off Arsenal at their place. We've got a pretty decent success rate against Liverpool, and with the threat of a major points deduction hanging over Man City, it's entirely possible that there may be one or even two Top Four places up for grabs this season. Why not us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here