Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can I make a 1983 FA Cup Final shirt?

I was in the club shop today, they have these 83 cup final shirts without Phoenix Brewery the logo, there were only 2 without the logo on the rail, but you can buy them

I guess you could get this shirt, but you would still have to add the adidas bits yourself:thumbsup:

But they are not cup final replicas. They have red and blue trim on the collar and cuffs whereas the originals were plain white collar and cuffs.

The seasgull on the badge is wring - it is the later "fatter" version that the new badge uses rather than the proper one that looked like a bird in flight, and it is a complete badge rather than a having the bird and surround as seperate prints on the shirt.

And they are the wrong material. the originals were a kind of poly cotten material rather than the 100% polyester versions in the shop

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I was in the club shop today, they have these 83 cup final shirts without Phoenix Brewery the logo, there were only 2 without the logo on the rail, but you can buy them

I guess you could get this shirt, but you would still have to add the adidas bits yourself:thumbsup:

But they are not cup final replicas. They have red and blue trim on the collar and cuffs whereas the originals were plain white collar and cuffs.

The seasgull on the badge is the later "fatter" version and it is a complete badge rather than a having the bird and surround as seperate prints on the shirt.

And they are the wrong material. the originals were a kind of poly cotten material rather than the 100% polyester versions in the shop

There is a reason for this; any design has to be altered by more that 30%, otherwise adidas could sue because we would be using their design.

I have no idea how a 30% difference to a design is measured, but I am reliably informed that any reproduction must differ by more than 30% unless permission to copy is given by the original designer.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I should read the whole thread first :) This website had one a couple of years ago, had a pheonix brewery one about 3 months ago too, but nothing at tghe moment
Brighton Classic Football Shirts

Hate to tell you but for 1982-83 season we were sponsored by British Caledonian, seems we did better than them in the end.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There is a reason for this; any design has to be altered by more that 30%, otherwise adidas could sue because we would be using their design.

I have no idea how a 30% difference to a design is measured, but I am reliably informed that any reproduction must differ by more than 30% unless permission to copy is given by the original designer.

Thanks for the information. I had no idea there was a 30% rule. Obviously I knew they couldn't stick the adidas stripes or logo on but otherwise I just thought whoever was doing the replicas for the club shop didn't have an eye for detail!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I decided against buying the 'Cup Final' replica from the Seagulls Shop in the end. Apart from the fact they only had XLarge left, there's something about it that doesn't quite look right - I think the main thing is that the pin-stripes are far too wide whereas on the adidas version it's about half the width.

In the end I bought a modern day reproduction by Adidas of the France shirt of the 1982 World Cup (albeit one that needs a lot of ironing!) as that is blue with red and white pinstripes.....

france.jpg

...and hopefully, in a love-in with the sleeves and collar of a Japan shirt....

japan.jpg

....and some vinyl printing for the badge and lettering underneath....

I will get a very realistic Cup Final 83 shirt.

Thank you very much, Mendoza, for your comments about the badge. I will show you the badge artwork I will be using and I'd appreciate your view on its accuracy.

QUOTE=goldstone_rapper;2804447]I decided against buying the 'Cup Final' replica from the Seagulls Shop in the end. Apart from the fact they only had XLarge left, there's something about it that doesn't quite look right - I think the main thing is that the pin-stripes are far too wide whereas on the adidas version it's about half the width.

In the end I bought a modern day reproduction by Adidas of the France shirt of the 1982 World Cup (albeit one that needs a lot of ironing!) as that is blue with red and white pinstripes.....

france.jpg

...and hopefully, in a love-in with the sleeves and collar of a Japan shirt....

japan.jpg

easier just to cover up the japansese badge with a BHA circular one, ans with that yoiu wwill have the nearest to an 83 Cup Final shirt that you could do. I have to say that we didn't even know the original had thin pinstripes until I saw an orginal close up at Tim Carder's BHA exhibition in Hove Museum a good few years ago

....and some vinyl printing for the badge and lettering underneath....

I will get a very realistic Cup Final 83 shirt.

Thank you very much, Mendoza, for your comments about the badge. I will show you the badge artwork I will be using and I'd appreciate your view on its accuracy.[/QUOTE]

easier just to cover up the japansese badge with a BHA circular one, ans with that yoiu wwill have the nearest to an 83 Cup Final shirt that you could do. I have to say that we didn't even know the original had thin pinstripes until I saw an orginal close up at Tim Carder's BHA exhibition in Hove Museum a good few years ago
_38785615_robinson150.jpg

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well, it's done..... at long, long last!

facup83shirt.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here