Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can I make a 1983 FA Cup Final shirt?

i would suggest talking to the manufacturer of our retro shirts, getting a blank shirt then getting BDI printing to do a one off screen printing of the club logo and adidias logo.

which would of course be illegal. but f***ing cool.

i've though about this in the past, i have to say.

Why bother with the Adidas logo? It's just an advert, was too big in comparison with our badge, and would make him a counterfeiter. He would also have to seek out who currently owns the rights to the badge and ask their permission.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It is pretty difficult to print white onto blue, and any cheapo outfit is going to muck it up. There is an alternative method of printing short/one-off runs, which is used by football clubs a lot;

The Magic Touch (GB) Ltd - Full Colour Image Transfer Paper, Heat Press, Transfer Printing, Heat transfer paper is the manufacturer of the kit, if you contact them and get them to recocomend a local user of the system. Then you could buy yourself a nice Adidas blue shirt, and get them to print the relevent badges etc.

The results are spot on, and you should be able to get it done quite cheaply.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If you speak to the guy in the club shop he will give you the details of the company that makes the replica retro shirts for the club, perhaps they will lmake you a one off, will cost a bit though I imagine.

I did speak to the guy at the shop and it turns out that behind all the Phoenix Brewery sponsored shirts are 1983 Cup Final shirts without the sponsor.

Does anyone actually have the original Adidas Phoenix Brewery 1983-85 shirts? I thought the pinstripes on the replicas in the Seagulls Shop were far thicker than the real Albion shirts from that time.

By the way, he said the 1985-87 shirts will be the next retro reproductions in the shop.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
3) Buy the 1983 shirt from Seagulls shop and find a way of removing Phoenix Brewery logo and adding adidas logo and white stripes (from a different adidas top) via printing company and sewing.

I was in the club shop today, they have these 83 cup final shirts without Phoenix Brewery the logo, there were only 2 without the logo on the rail, but you can buy them

I guess you could get this shirt, but you would still have to add the adidas bits yourself:thumbsup:

I did speak to the guy at the shop and it turns out that behind all the Phoenix Brewery sponsored shirts are 1983 Cup Final shirts without the sponsor.

Does anyone actually have the original Adidas Phoenix Brewery 1983-85 shirts? I thought the pinstripes on the replicas in the Seagulls Shop were far thicker than the real Albion shirts from that time.

By the way, he said the 1985-87 shirts will be the next retro reproductions in the shop.

I should read the whole thread first :) This website had one a couple of years ago, had a pheonix brewery one about 3 months ago too, but nothing at tghe moment
Brighton Classic Football Shirts

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The Chief Executive
The Scottish Football Association
Hampden Park
Glasgow
G42 9AY
SCOTLAND

Registered Company Number: SC5453
Telephone: ++ 44 141 616 6000
Fax: ++ 44 141 616 6001
Internet: http://www.scottishfa.co.uk
E-mail: info@scottishfa.co.uk

Dear Mr Smith,

I understand that some years ago you were the member of a football team in England (south of the border) that reached the final stage of their Football Association Challenge Cup.

I believe that at the time you would have been presented with, and worn a shirt of a blue colour with various additions such as a makers badge etc, although because of the prehistoric regulations appertaining at that time, it may not have in fact carried a sponsors log on its front.

With the passage of time, you may have regretfully, but as many of us do out of necessity, acquired some additional natural weight in the chest and waist areas, and as a result the aforesaid shirt may now be a little snugger than was heretofore familiar. You may also have some regretful memories about a certain incident at or near the last minute of the aforesaid final that, with hindsight, you would wish to have dealt with in a more positive manner should the occasion be presented to your good self again.

May I suggest that, in the spirit of international brotherhood and fraternity, this shirt finds another home, possibly more appropriate to the contemporary age and size of the person to whom it was originally presented, and that you may feel it right to donate it (for a nominal fee) to a good cause.

Best wishes

Yours Faithfully

etc etc etc

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

This one (sorry Phil!)?

football_shirt_73_1_500x400.jpg

I LOVE that shirt, possibly because it reminds me of those first few days of supporting the Albion...that and Danny Wilson :love: wore one.

I am SO going to buy it. Here's hoping they make the Phoenix Brewery version, and not the NOBO one.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Nice floor, shame about the shirt!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Seriously, "The Magic Touch" is the way to go to get an accurate replica, providing you can find a blank blue shirt with the three stripes.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
:laugh::lolol:

Ha! That's a great letter, Cheshire Cat!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks Superphil, I appreciate the advice about The Magic Touch.

I now have a digital version of the old school adidas logo and an old blue adidas tracksuit to sacrilegiously nick the stripes from. Like amateur brain surgery, this could get messy!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks Superphil, I appreciate the advice about The Magic Touch.

I now have a digital version of the old school adidas logo and an old blue adidas tracksuit to sacrilegiously nick the stripes from. Like amateur brain surgery, this could get messy!

Just make sure you add a photo of it to, oh I don't know, a website for football shirts perhaps!!! :thumbsup:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
OK, I'm about to start with Part 1 of my retro shirt 'Frankenstein' mission - adding adidas stripes from this....

adidasyellow.jpg

to this....

bcalyellow.jpg

If it goes well, I will use Phil's suggestion of The Magic Touch for the adidas logo....

Question: can anyone recommend a good clothes alteration service in Brighton?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
OK, I'm about to start with Part 1 of my retro shirt 'Frankenstein' mission - adding adidas stripes from this....

adidasyellow.jpg

to this....

bcalyellow.jpg

If it goes well, I will use Phil's suggestion of The Magic Touch for the adidas logo....

Question: can anyone recommend a good clothes alteration service in Brighton?

Codgers along upper north street, little shop on the corner of marlborough st.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks for the tip, csider.

Depending on what the cost is, I might also cause criminal damage to this....
blueadidas.jpg

By adding the stripes to this....
bluebcal.jpg

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Have you thought of calling Sharp Electronics ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Sharp?!

I really want a 1983 Brighton FA Cup Final shirt! I know this is a bit obsessed but it's got to be perfect - no Phoenix Brewery logo and with Adidas logo and trim. Which do you think is the best way forward?
1) Get a smallscale football kit manufacturer to put a custom one-off kit together from scratch for me?
2) Buy the France 1982 World Cup replica kit from ebay and get someone good at sewing to sew the old style Brighton badge over the French one and take out the winged collar?
3) Buy the 1983 shirt from Seagulls shop and find a way of removing Phoenix Brewery logo and adding adidas logo and white stripes (from a different adidas top) via printing company and sewing.

I was alwaya smazed that we never produced a replica Cup Final shirt. We did produce a replica division 2 shirt for 1983-4

In which case you have to get the "1983 F.A Cup Final Wembley" print below the badge to be correct. On the replica stuff that was sold it went horizontally below the badge (which was not how the payers shirts hadit). The players shirts had it curving sround the bottom of the badge. Added to which there was not not any collar and cuff trim of the payers shirst but there was on the replica

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here