Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can I get rid of tennants next door?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Local Authority Environmental Health Department.
Police if there is an actual breach of the peace.
Letting Agents (and write a letter to the landlord through the agent).
Keep a diary (including a video diary) and invest in a noise meter.
Buy a good quality security camera in case they decide to get revenge!

All of these will ensure that at least you feel you are doing all that you can but in all probability will have little effect, at least in the short to medium term.
Hopefully it is a fixed term lease and will not be renewed as long as you make the letting agent and the landlord aware of the issues.

When it happened to us it was a family who bought the house next door and we ended up selling and moving on

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The landlord has a duty of care to you. You need to find out who owns the property (via the Land Registry?) and contact the owner. Keep making a note of any/all issues. But be careful about getting into a legal dispute (eg calling the police, exchange solicitors letters etc) because you'll be required to declare that if you ever come to sell your house and it puts off buyers big time.

Is the right answer,and if you find he/she will not respond then the police it is.
we have twatty neighbours but unfortunately they own the bloody house and are extremely sly about being nasty.

good luck.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
http://www.sussex.police.uk/neighbourhood_policing/district.aspx

My advice would be to look at the above link, find out who your neighborhood police officer is and ask them around to get some advice over a cup of tea and a digestive.

Whilst they will not be able to solve the problem overnight they will be able to advise you, assist and liase with other agencies - council etc. This will also put the neighbours on the police 'radar'

You will probably find that the family are already known to police and if you are suffering you can be sure your other neighbours are too and the more people that complain about them to the authorities the quicker you will get a result.

I wish you all the best with what is a frustrating and difficult problem.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
http://www.sussex.police.uk/neighbourhood_policing/district.aspx

My advice would be to look at the above link, find out who your neighborhood police officer is and ask them around to get some advice over a cup of tea and a digestive.

Whilst they will not be able to solve the problem overnight they will be able to advise you, assist and liase with other agencies - council etc. This will also put the neighbours on the police 'radar'

You will probably find that the family are already known to police and if you are suffering you can be sure your other neighbours are too and the more people that complain about them to the authorities the quicker you will get a result.

I wish you all the best with what is a frustrating and difficult problem.

great advice

smellis

Sep 22, 2008
Ninfield, nr Battle
Go to the Eastbourne Borough Council Environmental Health Dept and say you want to make a complaint.

I have a friend that works there, she is really good, and will take no bull sh*t at all.

They will advise you to keep a diary and send you papers to keep logs of exactly what is going on.

They can also find the owner/landlord and ask them to get their tenants to pipe it down a bit!

Hope that helps!

Sounds like they are unreasonable people anyway, so I doubt there is any better way, such as mediation, as these people don't know the meaning of the word!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would say that is not harsh at all, in fact it should be a regular occurance until they take action.

Absolutely - if they do nothing once you have approached them the first time. However, I know for a fact that if someone came and knocked on my door at midnight to complain about anti-social behaviour I would not take them seriously.

The landlord will probably want any troublesome occupants out as soon as possible and could turn out to be on your side. There is no need to wind them up from the very start.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
There is a balancing act. On one hand, you don't want neighbours like that getting away with their behaviour, and on the other you don't want to get involved in a dispute which could last years and actually jeopardise your prospects of selling.

We too had neighbours like that, in Eastbourne, and with their kids growing up we could see the situation escalating. They didn't respond to polite, or less polite, requests for consideration. But rather than have to declare a dispute with neighbours during any future conveyancing, we put our house on the market and got out of there as quickly and painlessly as we could.

True, nobody should be forced out of their house by bad neighbours. But in our case I think it was the best option. I didn't carry out my fantasy of burning their house down and facing the legal consequences, and we ended up in another area with fantastic neighbours and no problems at all.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I really feel for you,Hope you get rid of this scum.Good luck.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The council is the place to call but if you want to piss off thier dog/kids do the following.
Us your PC to generate an 18khz tone (23khx for dogs) and save as a wav. point a couple of speakers at kids/dog and play the sound as a loop. It will be inaudible to anyone over about 19/20 but sound horrid to kids and drive a dog f***ing mental.
No lasting harm though ;)

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Thanks for all the advice - some sound ideas there although I might steer clear of the body in the wheelie bin!

sureyyathegodofthephonein

nsc most loved
Apr 26, 2008
Having sex in a skip
We've had problems with our neighbour next door down the years and she still continues it playing her stupid music at all hours her dogs barking outside late at night i wouldnt mind if she went to work but she don't
Ring Enviromental health say you can't work properlly because of not getting enough sleep
if they do nothing just smack the fella really hard and run off

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
i've had problems at my last flat and now this one becuase of poor noise insulation (slamming of doors and banging noises all the time, particularly at night). was hoping to move soon to a semi or terrace hoping it might be better but this thread puts me off a bit!

on a slightly different note, is there a good way of checking out your potential neighbours before buying a house?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If the wife started her love affair with Manilow I would fire up my petrol driven cement mixer on the patio next to their house, throw in a few house bricks for good measure and go out.

ooo, i like that one, noted for future use.

council is the correct route i think, as they will call in the police when its proper to do so.

on a slightly different note, is there a good way of checking out your potential neighbours before buying a house?

If you ask the seller if they have any problems with their neighbours they are supposed to reveal anything and everything. If they conceal a dispute or ongoing problem then it is possible to sue them for mis-representation and get damages. Not easy but it has been done successfully in the past.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
This happened late last year in our road, some students moved into a house about 5/6 doors down from me and made life a misery for their immediate neighbours...apparently it was parties every weekend with loud music until dawn, they complained but nothing happened, have to admit that apart from hearing them come back from the pub a few times it didn't bother me at all...but they weren't my immediate neighbours.

I am pretty sure they did the diary thing, recording every disturbance, then the police became involved and it all quietened down again. I think that some offences in respect of drugs might have been committed...which is possibly what made the cops interested. I wonder what would happen, if by chance, there were some cannabis plants growing in their garden and the police got to find out...think that is a case of go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect £200...wouldn't that be sad!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Is a reign of terror against them out of the question? I suggest contacting Nicholas Hoogstraten c/o Belmarsh Prison:)

c/o bellmarsh, f*** me you are up to date:nono:

as others said, land registry is £3 for a search i think and also keep notes/file of events.

you also need to be careful if you get police etc involved as this will come up on a search if/when you sell your property.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here