Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hove, actually

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
No idea why it's called Hove Actually, but I did meet this Zimbabwean bloke once who said that he lived in "Preston Park Precisely"

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Brighton is more famous than Hove therefore people used to say (in response to the question "Where do you live?")

"I live in Brighton. Well, Hove actually"

And because Hove seafront is less "in your face" than Brighton and a bit posher generally it stuck as a sort of snobbish thing to say.

Simple, really.

The classic conversation with a friend or acquaintance from out of the area:-

"Where are you living now?"

"Brighton. Well, Hove, actually".

"Oh yes. Great place, Brighton."

Albion Rob

Aah, right, cheers.

I thought I remembered my parents telling me something about a radio show in connection with the saying when I was younger, but maybe I've got it confused with somewhere else.

The Beer Man

Aug 4, 2003
Worthing
Simple Hove was (and still is in parts) a plush place to live as you move way from the sea and over to Brighton this is where the servents lived c1900's

I have a wicked picture of the old Peir looking from Hove and its name "From Hove Actullay!!!" cost me £3000!!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Around the country as a whole most people have heard of Brighton so if you live in Portslade, Hove, Peacehaven etc you say you are from Brighton.

Otherwise you get - where??

So you could say Brighton, Portslade actually, but it doesn't have the same snobby sound.

Fridge Man

Aug 31, 2003
Burgess Hill
Yeah I thought it was more to do with people from Hove thinking they are more upper class than people from Brighton - A bit like people from Haywards Heath thinking they are better than Burgess Hill :angry: :censored: :angry:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
The Beer Man said:
Simple Hove was (and still is in parts) a plush place to live as you move way from the sea and over to Brighton this is where the servents lived c1900's

I have a wicked picture of the old Peir looking from Hove and its name "From Hove Actullay!!!" cost me £3000!!!!

For three grand you'd think they'd be able to spell it correctly!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Gary Nelson said:
It is isnt it?
Burgess Hill is a hole.
I escaped 18 months ago.
To Hove, not Portslade, not Brighton or Peacehaven, HOVE!

Yes, but why is BH a hole? I'm curious because I've worked in both BH and HH. I don't think either of them is particularly great, but I've never really understood this bonkers rivalry between them, whose fierceness is almost up there with that between Edinburgh/Glasgow, Manchester/Liverpool and the like. It's not like either BH or HH has ever added much to the sum of the world's culture (except possibly the band Suede. And the actress Greta Scacchi)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here