Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House prices rose, property market picking up

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Dont really think it is a good thing for prices to rise yet. What we need is a couple of years of status quo. First time buyers are still outpriced from joining the ladder and untill that is addressed the market is knackered.

The stamp duty on £250k+ also desperately needs raising to £300k.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Albion Dan said:
The stamp duty on £250k+ also desperately needs raising to £300k.
It also desperately needs to be made FAIR. The way it's set up at the moment is f***ing ridiculous.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
OK so my house is worth more.

How will my kids buy a house?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know a good mortgage broker for anyone buying / wanting to re mortgage.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
This nation is mad. Something's getting more expensive, woo! Hooray!

A house should be somewhere you live, not something you're trying to get a profit out of. Prices should be affordable and stable.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Like many others my age (20) i have a solid job yet no chance of getting a morgage. i worked out i pay slightly less rent than the monthly morgage repayments would be on same property. :angry: :angry: :censored:

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Simster said:
It also desperately needs to be made FAIR. The way it's set up at the moment is f***ing ridiculous.
Fecking agree with that ! £249k = 1% £250k = 3% what a jump !!

Why cant it go up by half a % for every £50k above 249 ?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Even so, the various property market surveys are not all pointing in the same direction.

RICS also said that in its view prices were still falling in more areas of the country than were rising.

And the Nationwide building society, the other major mortgage lender that monitors market tends, said last week that in fact prices were still slowing.

Its index suggested that annual house price inflation is still subsiding and stands at just under 2%.

I dont think its going up, dont particularly like the halifax's narrow measures,

buzza and bhafc make good points.

Gordon "the Clown" Brown has introduced SIPPS. Youve heard about the Rich screwing the Poor? This will help.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Any family in the South East wanting to buy a modest family home has to pay 3% SD, the same up North and they will pay 1%. SD was 1% across the board until GB came in.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
BarrelofFun said:
This spells bad news for me. I have just turned 25 and just about to start my new job after uni. I doubt I will ever be able to afford a decent house.

:shootself

You'll be in exactly the same situation at 30. My advice is get hitched to someone in an extremely well paid job, and don't have kids.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
bhafc99 said:
This nation is mad. Something's getting more expensive, woo! Hooray!

A house should be somewhere you live, not something you're trying to get a profit out of. Prices should be affordable and stable.
That depends on wether you make a living out of a buoynt property:flameboun

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Anyone can get a mortgage if they have a half decent job. You just need to make some sacrifices and start off on the bottom rung. From my experience a lot of people want to move straight into a nice house and still maintain their expensive social lives.

It's not easy but can be done. :)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Willow said:
Anyone can get a mortgage if they have a half decent job. You just need to make some sacrifices and start off on the bottom rung. From my experience a lot of people want to move straight into a nice house and still maintain their expensive social lives.

I wouldnt agree with that, theres plenty of people with half decent jobs who dont stand a chance. I dont know what nurses and teachers earn for example, but say its 23k I guess the bank would lend you about 80k and by the time you could raise say a 15k deposit in 3 years you'd be looking at a 95k property. That will get you bugger all now never mind the time you've scraped a deposit together.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Taken in isolation these surveys are crap. Here is one from last Friday showing prices still falling and set to fall 5% in 2005.

http://www.themovechannel.com/News/2005/September/30a.asp

Remember people 'in the trade' like Estate Agents and Building Societies will hype the market to hell in order to increase business. With the economy about to take a downturn, dont be fooled.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Willow said:

Agree with Maffew, complete tosh. A studio will cost you around 100k (and who wants to buy a studio that's never going to increase in price?) and a 23k salary will only get you around an 80-90k mortgage. Some lenders now 'generously' offer the 35 year mortgage! This is a bollox thread for people trying to get on the housing ladder, what is there to celebrate? Paying 240k for a house that six years ago was worth a third of that.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Willow said:

Not round here it can't!!

I could get a £100,000 mortgage, but that still leaves me at least £30,000 short on deposit!!

(And yes I do scrimp and save)

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Cheeky Monkey said:
Agree with Maffew, complete tosh. A studio will cost you around 100k (and who wants to buy a studio that's never going to increase in price?)

It's a place to live isn't it? Sorry if it doesn't fit on your property portfolio.

and a 23k salary will only get you around an 80-90k mortgage.

Which leaves just 10-20K to save up for the deposit. Achievable with a few sacifices along the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here