Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House prices rose, property market picking up

E

enigma

The cost of property in London is frightening. Thanks f*** my parents live here, otherwise I would be f***ed. It's not about spending 500 quid a month plus on rent, I'm going to live at home as long as possible.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Well I've had two offers on my flat today so I'd agree about the market picking up ( both Buy2let's)
Bought my flat only 18 months after uni, when I was on £20k and it was £102K

Begged, borrowed and stole to get it. It's ex council in a nasty neighbourhood but had plenty of space. So much so that I could have a lodger. Good rental material too, which helps.

I think too many people aren't willing to make that kind of sacrifice in terms of comfort and lifestyle. I was living on £40 a week for 18 months (damn those student loans)

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Hadlee said:
Fecking agree with that ! £249k = 1% £250k = 3% what a jump !!

Why cant it go up by half a % for every £50k above 249 ?

if slightly over £250k ...pay £249995 for the house and the balance of the price for Cutains fixtures carpets etc to avoid the extra stamp duty

E

enigma

Barnet Seagull said:
Well I've had two offers on my flat today so I'd agree about the market picking up ( both Buy2let's)
Bought my flat only 18 months after uni, when I was on £20k and it was £102K

Begged, borrowed and stole to get it. It's ex council in a nasty neighbourhood but had plenty of space. So much so that I could have a lodger. Good rental material too, which helps.

I think too many people aren't willing to make that kind of sacrifice in terms of comfort and lifestyle. I was living on £40 a week for 18 months (damn those student loans)

Was that in London?

You're right about too many people not making sacrifices- it amazes me how much people spend on going out sometimes. I go out a lot but try not to spend much.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
enigma said:
Was that in London?

You're right about too many people not making sacrifices- it amazes me how much people spend on going out sometimes. I go out a lot but try not to spend much.

30 mins from Covent Garden... Arnos Grove.

E

enigma

Barnet Seagull said:
30 mins from Covent Garden... Arnos Grove.

I didn't think Arnos Grove was that bad. My mate goes there a bit, he lives in Whetstone.

Wood Green is shit but mind you, the shops arent bad at all.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The Auditor said:
if slightly over £250k ...pay £249995 for the house and the balance of the price for Cutains fixtures carpets etc to avoid the extra stamp duty
No one pays "slightly over 250k" they pay 250 and sellers asking just over 250k will expect that as well, by the way 3% starts in excess of 250k

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
enigma said:
I didn't think Arnos Grove was that bad. My mate goes there a bit, he lives in Whetstone.

Wood Green is shit but mind you, the shops arent bad at all.

all depends on which side of the road...

Pretty nasty New Southgate side but it isn't Edmonton

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Willow said:
Spot on, that man. :clap:

Not really, it's all just generalisations about people without knowing any of the facts. I only spend about £30 a month on going out with a view to saving to get on the property ladder. I would wager that you don't live in a studio/bedsit Willow, and probably wouldn't plow over £100k into such a dead end investment either!

At the end of the day I fail to see how chicken run's celebration of the rise in property prices benefits anyone unless they are multiple property owners. If you are in the market looking to move to a bigger place etc. you aren't benefitting because prices of bigger places are rising relative to the price of the property you're looking to sell. And secondly, as mentioned above, first time buyers aren't benefitting full stop. I can only assume cr is a property tycoon.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Curious Orange said:
Why should I move away from my friends, family, and job, just to get on the property ladder?
Why should the property prices in Guildford be kept artifically low just so that you don't have to move away?

I work in a reasonably paid job and managed to buy a house about 3 years ago.

I needed to get a lodger in and tighten the purse strings but I got by and I guess some of the capital in my house is a reward for that, however my house price is now rude in value.

If I wanted to buy the same house now there is no way I could afford it and to me that is sad. These things have just gone too high.

That said don't start going down just yet I'm on a binge to get my house in tip top condition so I can get my money out of property in Reading and give myself a bit of flexibility if I take my employers calling to go off and work in Seattle.

Hopefully the £ to $ ratio will help me get something even better there!

:clap2: :clap2:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
bad news for me! been trying to move for months! if you think brighton is expensive try kingston. Its getting ridiculous 180 K for a 1 bed flat :angry:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Simster said:
Why should the property prices in Guildford be kept artifically low just so that you don't have to move away?

No danger of them being kept "artificially low" I'm afraid.

I did consider moving to Hitchin a couple of years ago when my former employers moved their offices up there. But the impact on my quality of life would have been too much. My family, friends, and football team are more important to me than my career, or prospects of getting on the property ladder.

As it happens staying in Guildford probably turned out better for me in career terms, and I'm sure with a few more years of saving I'll be able to buy my own home to live in. Not an investment, a home.

I don’t know why everyone is so worried about house prices keep going up. The bubble will burst, and when it does then the first time buyers will have a field day. People who think it’ll not burst should wake up to reality.

All you first time buyers shouldn’t panic neither should parents who are worried about their children getting a place. Like the saying goes, what goes up must come down.

Germany had a housing boom after our crash and look at them now, it’s a cycle, we had our boom in the 80’s then a recession while others looked at us as the poor man of Europe while they were enjoying what we are now, our time will come again and it’ll come quicker than most people think, Gordon brown has lost the plot, with raid the pension funds, spending more than he can borrow, his prediction of growth is fantasy and taxes will have to go up meaning bloody nightmares for everyone.

Laugh at me if you like, It’s my opinion and it’ll happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here