Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House prices and footballers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If house prices down south are such an issue for footballers one wonders how on earth clubs like Brentford, Barnet, Leyton O, Millwall, Bournemouth etc manage to raise teams.

Please stop swallowing McGhee's excuses, and blathering on about this being a problem because it isn't. Whilst I appreciate house prices are far too high in Brighton, there are cheaper places to live and numerous people on much lower incomes seem to survive working in Brighton.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not again! We can't pay the wages that most of these players demand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What players are you referring to? Are you telling me Brentford, Barnet, Leyton O, Millwall, Bournemouth etc pay their players a lot more than Brighton?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Tubthumper said:
What players are you referring to? Are you telling me Brentford, Barnet, Leyton O, Millwall, Bournemouth etc pay their players a lot more than Brighton?

Yes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We seemed to be able to pay Turenzo, Knight, Henderson, Dodd, McShane enough money to come to the Withdean. Dick Knight was quoted as saying the players budget is very competitive last year so it must be at least as competitive this term? Carole liked his terms and was on a handsome salary not to mention his agents fees which could have been put to better use.

Again, we do have enough dosh to attract players to a League 1 club, the stumbling bloke is McGhee's fumbling in the market.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
where is your information from?

Given the greed with which Henderson displayed via his agent it is a wonder he didn't hot foot it to the riches of Barnet then, or Leyton O.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well players are normally paid better than us so this is total bollox - if they desire to play so be it.

1066gull

Wouldn't it be great if the players played for passion, and not money?

Tubthumper said:
If house prices down south are such an issue for footballers one wonders how on earth clubs like Brentford, Barnet, Leyton O, Millwall, Bournemouth etc manage to raise teams.

Please stop swallowing McGhee's excuses, and blathering on about this being a problem because it isn't. Whilst I appreciate house prices are far too high in Brighton, there are cheaper places to live and numerous people on much lower incomes seem to survive working in Brighton.

oy TUBBY what's rattled your cage?

We're down tomorrow, off on a rush visit to Peacehaven!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Adriodinho said:

Another sensible post shocker....;)

I would suggest that the standard of living is probably the same in Brighton as outer/central London and there is the transport issue - to and from London is much easier than the A23 or A27....

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
If this is the latest excuse from McGhee then it's a pretty shit one. Even at our level, players' weekly wages are more than enough to secure the rental of a very nice house or flat. Even in Brighton.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Adriodinho said:
Passion doesn't pay the rent.
(Unless you're a prostitute)

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Adriodinho said:

Sorry, but I don't work for Passion, I work for Money and watch Albion for enjoyment ??? but players do show loyalty and effort and commitment, but don't expect them to feel the same as us, it is their job.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Don't know how much we pay our players, but I had a conversation with someone today about how much Conference players are paid, apparently some are on as much as £1000 per week, although the norm is somewhat less. I have no reason to doubt my source, as her son is currently on trial with a Conference team, although he has received nothing so far as he is a triallist and not contracted. By my reckoning most players in Division 1 must be on approaching £1k per week minimum, surely that is enough to buy even the most basic house in the south east, many manage to do so on less.

D

Deleted member 2719

Tubthumper said:

Perhaps the Falmer nimbys could let one of there rooms out for a few quid to help us out!!

:ohmy:

Gully said:
By my reckoning most players in Division 1 must be on approaching £1k per week minimum, surely that is enough to buy even the most basic house in the south east, many manage to do so on less.
Ok ... put yourself in the place of a player aged 25, earning £1,000 a week. You trot along to the building society and say you've got this great job with prospects. They ask a simple question. "How long is your contract for?" "Two years", you say.

How much do they lend you?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BarrelofFun said:
Another sensible post shocker....;)

I would suggest that the standard of living is probably the same in Brighton as outer/central London and there is the transport issue - to and from London is much easier than the A23 or A27....

One thing I've noticed is that house prices here are cheaper than Brighton and on a par with Worthing. Okay it's a bit close to Croydon but its also 45 minutes from Central London. Its also a much better area than a lot of Brighton and frankly all of Worthing (and Seaford for that matter).

Cost of living has to be a factor when signing players, Dichio can have a far better house in the Preston area than he could down here for a start.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Good question LB, but how many people are on long term contracts these days, I renegociated my mortgage back in February in order to move home, my current contract runs till Apr 07. Granted I am not in a bad position as I have some equity in the house, which the building society would be able to reap should I default and be reposessed, and it isn't quite the same as being a first time buyer.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
It seems to be the way of the world now, my company here has satrted taking on fixed term contracts for a year, now what the hwll good is that to anyone - i keep hoping no one will apply for the jobs and they'll have to give them proper contracts again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am a contractor with nothing more than a years contract at a time, I was given a mortgage a few years back based on nothing more than my ability to pay my rent on time by direct debit for the previous few years.

I used to be friendly with a young Albion defender who left the club and secured a mortgage whilst only having just signed a 2 year deal. Not only this, but a solicitor friendly with the club did all his conveyancing for free.

Mortgages are reasonbly safe loans for lenders as they are secured against the property. They are also very flexible in that you can take payment holidays or let the property if circumstances change etc.

In short, footballers can and do get mortgages and a number of high street lenders offer particular products aimed as irregular incomes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here