Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House prices and footballers

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Tubthumper said:
I am a contractor with nothing more than a years contract at a time, I was given a mortgage a few years back based on nothing more than my ability to pay my rent on time by direct debit for the previous few years.

I used to be friendly with a young Albion defender who left the club and secured a mortgage whilst only having just signed a 2 year deal. Not only this, but a solicitor friendly with the club did all his conveyancing for free.

Mortgages are reasonbly safe loans for lenders as they are secured against the property. They are also very flexible in that you can take payment holidays or let the property if circumstances change etc.

In short, footballers can and do get mortgages and a number of high street lenders offer particular products aimed as irregular incomes.

Probably pretty easy for footballers to get mortgages can't imagine, Beckham, Rooney Lampard etc would struggle - although they probably pay cash.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
footballers get paid far more than ME and I can afford a house ???

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Ok ... put yourself in the place of a player aged 25, earning £1,000 a week. You trot along to the building society and say you've got this great job with prospects. They ask a simple question. "How long is your contract for?" "Two years", you say.

How much do they lend you?

Two years is a long time to satay in ANY job nowadays... the bank lend him the money...

Tubthumper said:
I am a contractor with nothing more than a years contract at a time, I was given a mortgage a few years back based on nothing more than my ability to pay my rent on time by direct debit for the previous few years.

I used to be friendly with a young Albion defender who left the club and secured a mortgage whilst only having just signed a 2 year deal. Not only this, but a solicitor friendly with the club did all his conveyancing for free.

Mortgages are reasonbly safe loans for lenders as they are secured against the property. They are also very flexible in that you can take payment holidays or let the property if circumstances change etc.

In short, footballers can and do get mortgages and a number of high street lenders offer particular products aimed as irregular incomes.
The difference between most contractors and a twentyfive year old footballer is that most contractors can persuade the lender that there is a reasonable prospect of using their skills for twenty years or so.

Twentyfive year old professional footballers have a reasonable prospect of not plying their trade for much more than another five years.

Tubthumper said:
What players are you referring to? Are you telling me Brentford, Barnet, Leyton O, Millwall, Bournemouth etc pay their players a lot more than Brighton?

Millwall certainly - their turnover is 50 per cent bigger than ours, Brentford maybe as their losses were much smaller than ours last season but maybe we are on a par with them, hard to tell.

Not too much financial info available on the likes of the other clubs you mention but you would hope we would be a little bit better off than a notoriously cash-strapped club like the Cherries and the likes of Barnet.

What's your point here? Are Bournemouth and Barnet signing players you think we should have signed?

I know Millwall are with the likes of Byfield and Tom Brighton, but that's not surprising given they are financially a bigger club than us, is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here