Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House buying/selling

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
We've just bought a 2bed hoose in central brighton. Originally on for £280,00, then was put back on the market for £275,00, we had an offer accepted of £272,000. After survey we got it down to £269,000.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Paid 86% for the property we're in, but that's because it was 2008 and prices were falling. Made a similar cut of the one we sold.

Ah, see yours sounds tactical.

Mine was more like "oh crap, Mum, what should I offer?" and her playing 'hardball' whilst i wimpered like the child that I am.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're selling a house in Bristol now, it was on the market for £240,000 and we accepted £227,000.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Which areas are you looking at? As a rule of thumb I'd start at 5% of the asking price and then add on 1% for each month its been on the market. I'd be more cheeky the higher the price.

I think offering 5% of the asking price could be considered quite cheeky.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Zoopla has a host of interesting and useful info Bozza.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My missis had 3 offers within the first week of marketing her house last spring. She eventually accepted one at 5K OVER the advertised asking price.

I reckon for a house that's been on the market for 2-3 months, and if you're in a position to proceed quickly, getting an offer accepted of 90-95% of the asking price is realistic.

The Original

Jan 25, 2010
50.83295°N 0.26815°W
Sold at 98%, bought at 97% last year. We were very lucky to get anything off the asking price for the house we purchased given the lack of similar properties on offer versus demand (fortunately we had an excellent relationship with our agent, who handled both our sale and purchase). Correct agent choice cannot be underestimated.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
We just bought for 230k in central Brighton where asking price was 240k, though the guy did have to fork out for a lease extension in that deal too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone got an idea on multiplier for borrowings nowadays? Been with my lender for 4 years, no problems, have around 12% cash deposit, + maybe 5% ish equity in my place, and was considering looking around at moving, but not sure what kind of value I am suitable for.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The old adage of "try an offer" is definitely at play at the moment. I would say start at 10% off but expect to agree nearer 5% if they have priced the property sensibly in the first place.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If you hadn't bought it they would have sold for £125,000. Just to give you an idea.

Good contribution. As it happens we live in a very sought after close. The reason we got the flat so cheap was because one of the owners took ill and a move was forced. No flat in our Court has sold for less than £155,000 since we moved in.
Thanks again :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shirley its a house by house, area by area, agent by agent thing? some agents price more realistically, some unrealistic to get the trade, some people have already dropped and wont go any further, some areas are more popular and so the asking price is firmer than unpopular areas.

i'd look at the Land Registry prices which show prices paid about 3 months later than they occured. iirc rightmove had a link to these by postcode (zoopla too?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here