Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoskins

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I think that, given what happened in his home life, it's probably fair enough if his head wasn't fully focused on football last season

Of course, I forgot about that. I was recalling Gus's disappointment last season when Hoskins elected to go out on loan rather than fight for his place.

D

Deleted member 22389

Very positive interview on Player. I hope we can see what he can do from now on.

So glad he is back now. Yes very positive interview. The guy has potential, we are yet to see the best of him. I hope he is that missing link.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Barnes had a bloody good game last night.

Nobody had a good game. Worst team in the league and we struggled. Barnes' untouchable status was confirmed by his playing in central midfield for a while after Crofts aas hooked.

That said, Barnes did brilliantly to control the ball from Bruno in the build up to the goal. He is a decent centre forward when played with a parrner.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Nobody had a good game. Worst team in the league and we struggled. Barnes' untouchable status was confirmed by his playing in central midfield for a while after Crofts aas hooked.

That said, Barnes did brilliantly to control the ball from Bruno in the build up to the goal. He is a decent centre forward when played with a parrner.

Worst team in the league? 4 wins out of their last 7 before last night.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Had a brilliant season in League One year before last, so he has the potential. Glad to see him back and hope he stays injury free. CMS and Barnes could do with some competition, and Dobbie along with Hoskins could be just the ticket.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Only with our finishing really. We created enough chances to win 3 or 4 nil. Hopefully a bit more compusure will come after getting that win.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Was pleased to see him back. We're going to need performances from him. Was very impressed again with Dobbie and judging from the interview in the programme he's had some other issues to deal with while settling in that seem to be behind him. So if, as it appears we now have a settled Hoskins and Dobbie, it can only be good news. I think people often don't consider or underestimate the stuff going on outside of players day job and the impact it can have on confidence and performance. Imagine if by the time we get to the Palace game we have a fully firing Dobbie, Hoskins and Vicente? Revenge would be so sweet and would be great to derail their season like we did.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
His little cameo last night showed that he is better than CMS in the box-at least he was last night. He was much better in his positioning and made a number of runs into space taking defenders with him-shame he wasn't on longer.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barnes had a bloody good game last night.

This. Barnes did nothing to suggest he will be dropped on Saturday. If he hadn't played last night, we would not have won.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
This. Barnes did nothing to suggest he will be dropped on Saturday. If he hadn't played last night, we would not have won.
You see, its this blinkered loyalty to a player of average ability that really makes me chuckle. So what you are saying is that any other player in the team instead of Barnes would not have had a contribution. If Dobbie had more than 30 mins, if Hoskins had more than 10 then the result would have been a loss or draw?? It beggars belief that there isnt even a suggestion that Dobbie and CMS could be the answer to the goal drought, both players are sharp and intelligent players, they would feed off and benefit each other.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You see, its this blinkered loyalty to a player of average ability that really makes me chuckle. So what you are saying is that any other player in the team instead of Barnes would not have had a contribution. If Dobbie had more than 30 mins, if Hoskins had more than 10 then the result would have been a loss or draw?? It beggars belief that there isnt even a suggestion that Dobbie and CMS could be the answer to the goal drought, both players are sharp and intelligent players, they would feed off and benefit each other.

CMS cannot control the ball well at all, in fact his first touch is atrocious and needs someone to win the ball for him. Barnes held the ball up well to set up Dobbie, and he can also defend.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Not sure if you saw the game last night but do you honestly think Barnes had a bad game? Serious question. It's all about opinions.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Worst team in the league? 4 wins out of their last 7 before last night.

They were clearly missing Emile Sinclair last night, maybe with their strongest line up they'd have been better but they were dire last night. Absolutely terrible going forward, retained the ball well and looked reasonably competant but never threatened a goal.

Only with our finishing really. We created enough chances to win 3 or 4 nil. Hopefully a bit more compusure will come after getting that win.

Finishing was poor, intensity too. We were shooting from range a lot of the time, and a lot of snap shots from CMS especially. The stats gloss over how the game actually went.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
They were clearly missing Emile Sinclair last night, maybe with their strongest line up they'd have been better but they were dire last night. Absolutely terrible going forward, retained the ball well and looked reasonably competant but never threatened a goal.

Finishing was poor, intensity too. We were shooting from range a lot of the time, and a lot of snap shots from CMS especially. The stats gloss over how the game actually went.[/QUOTE]

The standard of finishing I agree on. When a side is defending as deep as P'boro were at times, what is wrong with shooting from distance? Their keeper had to make 3 decent saves from these kinds of shots in the 2nd half, plus Orlandi's strike that hit the post. On another day we could have one or two goals from these situations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here