Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoskins - what's the point?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another one with rose-tinted specs.

:rolleyes:

Rose tinted about how Gus has overachieved every season with us? We DESTROYED League One when our budget was about 7th, last season our budget was around 17th and we overachieved big time to even get near the playoffs, this season we're still within reaching distance and look a much, much better football side than last year. How is all this STILL not good enough for some?!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
He isn't good enough, he won't be an Albion player next season.

Owlfan

Feb 2, 2013
You reckon? They're down there for a reason. They don't tend to tear many new ones!

You're ignoring the fact that we're rapidly improving and we tore Hull a new one at their place and came back from 1 down last week against Charlton at theirs to win.

We won't finish in the bottom 6.

Dec 29, 2011
He isn't good enough, he won't be an Albion player next season.

He's looked good from the bit parts I've seen him play, like a proper centre forward. If he isn't good enough we could have at least sold him to get some of our money back, 500k isn't cheap for a player who's played about 10 games.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
He's looked good from the bit parts I've seen him play, like a proper centre forward. If he isn't good enough we could have at least sold him to get some of our money back, 500k isn't cheap for a player who's played about 10 games.

Whooo! 500k, I never knew that!

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Look at it another way ,at top end of the championship,one is going to need a striker in the top 100 available at the very least. Hoskins IMO is not,technically sound,wanting it etc etc !but does not score enough goals.{Gus will i am sure will admit that we have still not got that "goalscorer " Ulloa might be ,we all hope so !!! }

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
With the players he has bought and the money that has been spent, on transfers and on wages. The league table would suggest Gus is average at best, very average. Or does the table lie after 29games???

Dec 29, 2011
With the players he has bought and the money that has been spent, on transfers and on wages. The league table would suggest Gus is average at best, very average. Or does the table lie after 29games???
It doesn't, but he's realised we're lacking a CB that's good in the air a big striker and he's addressed that. If we're still outside the play-offs come season end I'd agree with your view.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It doesn't, but he's realised we're lacking a CB that's good in the air a big striker and he's addressed that. If we're still outside the play-offs come season end I'd agree with your view.

I agree, it's the end of the season that matters. But if this was a two thirds school report, it would read. Not paying enough attention to others around and how they treat us, could do better, has the tools to do the job, must do better in the last third. At this moment in time, under achieving....Average, very average.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
How many minutes has he got since he scored v Newcastle.
He played well v Bolton all be it miss a few then got the goal in the cup then virtually nothing. Similar to Dobbie when he got 2 in 2 and then frozen out. Strikers more than anyone thrive on confidence. GP can improve with this

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Oh do shut up. Seriously. I can't begin to explain how stupid this post is. Gus has done absolute miracles here. Is he perfect? No. But he's f*cking good.

Miracles, really? Get real. He took over at a time that nearly any manager would have loved. The club was about to progress/expand like no club has ever before. He brought a mentality that progressed the club, perhaps quicker than expected, but still only to a level the investment would suggest was the minimum requirement from the chairman. Many other managers would have achieved similar feats.

We all like his style of football but I for one hate the stubbornness, the refusal to try something different like play two forwards with two wide men. You never know it may mean more shot on goal.

No melodramatic "miracles" or "f*cking good" more like doing a good job but plenty to learn.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Miracles, really? Get real. He took over at a time that nearly any manager would have loved. The club was about to progress/expand like no club has ever before. He brought a mentality that progressed the club, perhaps quicker than expected, but still only to a level the investment would suggest was the minimum requirement from the chairman. Many other managers would have achieved similar feats.

We all like his style of football but I for one hate the stubbornness, the refusal to try something different like play two forwards with two wide men. You never know it may mean more shot on goal.

No melodramatic "miracles" or "f*cking good" more like doing a good job but plenty to learn.

Nonsense. We DESTROYED League One on a budget of about 7th, playing stunning football. That is superb. No two ways about it. He's since very quickly made us a very solid Championship team, overachieving again in the first season there. We had no right finishing 10th and flirting with playoffs with a bunch of mostly League One players.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nonsense. We DESTROYED League One on a budget of about 7th, playing stunning football. That is superb. No two ways about it. He's since very quickly made us a very solid Championship team, overachieving again in the first season there. We had no right finishing 10th and flirting with playoffs with a bunch of mostly League One players.

Still hardly a miracle though is it? Did we over achieve last season? Has he progressed this year when undoubtedly he has a far superior squad? Is he still making massive mistakes with the negative narrow line up away from home? 5 wins in 20 suggest he is. We are very lucky that the teams in the middle of the league are all taking points off each other. On paper our squad is far superior to those directly around us but when he insists on having our players with any pace on the bench week after week, it beggars belief.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex

Certainly not a bunch of league one players now. I'm not anti-Poyet by any means but on Saturday I got very annoyed we did not use the pace and width of Lua Lua when it seemed clear that even with 10 players we could have nicked a point against a pretty poor Wednesday team. A lot of folks on here are quite rightly questioning some of the tactics. We have a fantastic squad and it's time to get at opposing teams a bit more. I'm hoping to see Ulloa, CMS AND a winger start against Hull.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
With the players we have at our disposal we should be CEMENTED in the play off spots at the very least.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Sadly, Gus doesn't know what the f**k he is doing most of the time.

Like when he brought in the likes of Bridge, Bruno, Orlandi, Vicente, Ulloa etc to our club? Get real you clown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here