Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hooligans.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Just talking about hooligans with the Italian girl at work. I said I think we have such a bad reputation because we tend to export our holligans and the culture is to drink all day rather than the evening like continental countries. What do think?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
England are seen to have the worst hooligans because the police, government and press of this country openly villify them, whereas other countries support their's or sweep them under the carpet.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
jonny.rainbow said:
England are seen to have the worst hooligans because the police, government and press of this country openly villify them, whereas other countries support their's or sweep them under the carpet.
I don't think that's at all true.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
yeah , but If you send our hooligans anywhere and don't give them any booze . . .guarentee they will still kick it off

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It could be down to controlled drinking. In the countries of our European counterparts, many children drink with meals and tend to learn how to drink responsibly. Here, drinking is seen as a devilish past time.

If done responsibly from an early age - wine with a meal (France/Italy etc.) then I think one would respect it more.

The binge drinking culture in Britain is far worse than many countries I have been to.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
think it boils more down to the fact that men like to fight and invade .....goes back to ancient times. It is probably glorified more in the English press so is drummed into males from a very early age that it is an option to be part of it all.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Dougal said:
yeah , but If you send our hooligans anywhere and don't give them any booze . . .guarentee they will still kick it off

But it does add to it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
oh and to stretch over 3 posts , we are very proud of our country as well .... but often expressed in wrong way

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think a lot of it is because we export it whilst many firms from europe fight amongst themselves or only kick off on their own turf. Look at Turkey, Holland, Belgium, Italy for examples of this.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
jonny.rainbow said:
So you don't think other countries have as bad a problem with organised hooliganism than England?

Certainly not the dutch.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
I don't think that's at all true.
Correct. We have too many morons following the national team and no amount of apologist rhetoric is going to change that.

I don't remember too many English cities being turned over in Euro 96.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
jonny.rainbow said:
So you don't think other countries have as bad a problem with organised hooliganism than England?
No, but I certainly don't think they sweep it under the table in Germany, say, which has a small but determined hooliganism problem attached to the national side which has featured in the press and on the telly when there's been trouble there.

Just out of interest, which country's news coverage of hooliganism have you been watching to draw this conclusion that it happens just as much but they cover it all up?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
And that's a bad thing because.....?

:thud:

My post is not supporting hooliganism. Read it again.

I'm merely stating why England is perceived to have a bigger problem with hooliganism than other countries.

So you can unthud yourself.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
jonny.rainbow said:
My post is not supporting hooliganism. Read it again.

I'm merely stating why England is perceived to have a bigger problem with hooliganism than other countries.

So you can unthud yourself.
There was crowd toruble from English thugs *inside* the stadium last night and yet it's not exactly splattered all over the press. So I'd say the coverage is about fair.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:

Just out of interest, which country's news coverage of hooliganism have you been watching to draw this conclusion that it happens just as much but they cover it all up?

Italy?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Man of Harveys said:
No, but I certainly don't think they sweep it under the table in Germany, say, which has a small but determined hooliganism problem attached to the national side which has featured in the press and on the telly when there's been trouble there.

Well, I'm having considerable difficulty finding any mention online of trouble in the Slovakia Vs Germany match last night even though footage was shown on television of it happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here