Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hooligans.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Man of Harveys said:
No, but I certainly don't think they sweep it under the table in Germany, say, which has a small but determined hooliganism problem attached to the national side which has featured in the press and on the telly when there's been trouble there.

Just out of interest, which country's news coverage of hooliganism have you been watching to draw this conclusion that it happens just as much but they cover it all up?

Real Football Factories with Danny Dyer on Bravo

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Simster said:
There was crowd toruble from English thugs *inside* the stadium last night and yet it's not exactly splattered all over the press. So I'd say the coverage is about fair.

The trouble last night seemed to be in the second cordon.

What sparked it off was somebody was trying to get through that cordon with no tickets and get nabbed by the police, which is fair enough by the police. The problem was the police then proceeded to give him a kicking in view of those trying to get into the ground. People reacted and this caused a running battle with the police and then some of the idiots already in the ground tried to get back out to that cordon to have a go at the police.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It it because

a.we export it
b. its historical
c we have a huge proportion of chavs who cant hold their drink.

You just have to see the bahaviour of our people in holiday resorts in the summer to see why we are regarded as a babarian nation.

It is a lot less than it was admittedly, probably because the hoolies have got a lot older.

We will see if it has gone away when we play Holland later on this year.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Uncle Buck said:
There was no serious trouble in Holland 4 years ago and I doubt there will be next month. Too many other services for people to utilise in the few days there and weed tends to cut out the violence.

i remember going to the game in fayenoord's ground which was some of the worst violence I ever saw at a football match ( in 1984/5 ish???) My memory for dates is crap

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
BarrelofFun said:
It could be down to controlled drinking. In the countries of our European counterparts, many children drink with meals and tend to learn how to drink responsibly. Here, drinking is seen as a devilish past time.

If done responsibly from an early age - wine with a meal (France/Italy etc.) then I think one would respect it more.

The binge drinking culture in Britain is far worse than many countries I have been to.

In the case of Italy that might be your perception. However I would well recommend a read of Tim Parks' excellent 'A Season in Verona' where he does every single Hellas game home and away in the season. For his first away trip he accidentally gets on the Ultras bus who then to proceed to spend all night abusing the driver, drinking heavily and taking gear. He notes (with some accuracy) that just about the only thing that is different is that his bottle of water is acceptable to them.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
i remember going to the game in fayenoord's ground which was some of the worst violence I ever saw at a football match ( in 1984/5 ish???) My memory for dates is crap

There was a lot of trouble in the qualifier that England played in Rotterdam in 1993, but the game in Eindhoven in 2000 and Amsterdam in 2002 passed off peacefully. The Dutch were not overly interested in the English and the English were too busy getting stonned or getting the most out of their 50 euros and 15 minute time slot....

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
algie said:
:lolol:

How wrong can you be

Jesus Algie, how may times can sarcasm hit you in the face? I'm sure your just on a wind up.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Les Biehn said:
Jesus Algie, how may times can sarcasm hit you in the face? I'm sure your just on a wind up.

;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here