Hooligans

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
DJ Leon said:
Wrong then.

Yep, I was wrong.

And am proud to be in the minority on this bored who will admit it. Nothing wrong with being wrong, I'm wrong all the time. It's when you cant admit that's the problem.

Standing in line for the tram after the Eng Portugal game there were two annoying german girls happily singing "Englands going home" right behind me. I felt like pouring a beer over their heads at that moment but unfortunately I couldn't buy a beer for love nor money in the stadium due to huge queues. Shame, as otherwise I could have been a TV STAR.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
At the end of the day it shouldn't matter if it was 100 England 'fans' or 1 England 'fan'.. none of it is acceptable when it crosses the line. The media by it's nature tends to sensationalise matters, but FFS it shouldn't be going on AT ALL! It's totally indefensible.
And yes other countries are probably worse than us these days, but that shouldn't make it acceptable.

In hindsight maybe the show should have highlighted the fact further that 99% of English fans were as good as gold. It will always be the 1% that spoil it just because they can't handle their low volume Shandy

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
most of what I saw wern't real football hooligans more chavs getting pissed , they were all wearing colours and no rucks were organised.
Last nights documentary could of been filmed in Bristol , Bolton , Birmingham or any other English town on a saturday night

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Dougal said:
most of what I saw wern't real football hooligans more chavs getting pissed , they were all wearing colours and no rucks were organised.
Last nights documentary could of been filmed in Bristol , Bolton , Birmingham or any other English town on a saturday night

Does that make it better or worse ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Jam The Man said:

In hindsight maybe the show should have highlighted the fact further that 99% of English fans were as good as gold. It will always be the 1% that spoil it just because they can't handle their low volume Shandy

As is true of the entire population of the WORLD.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The best bit of the whole show was the laughable attempts by the German police to have UNDERCOVER police spotters compelte with naff clothes and wires coming out of their ears.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lokki 7 said:
Standing in line for the tram after the Eng Portugal game there were two annoying german girls happily singing "Englands going home" right behind me. I felt like pouring a beer over their heads at that moment but unfortunately I couldn't buy a beer for love nor money in the stadium due to huge queues. Shame, as otherwise I could have been a TV STAR.
C'mon, you're not a proper YOB, you just wanted to see girls all wet and covered in beer, quite right too.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Lokki 7 said:

Or the ones in Cologne singing Bye Bye to us after the Portugal game, but it would have been a waste of good beer.

Not seen the programme yet, videoed it due to an appointment with a variety of Hove's pubs.

However it sounds like the usual effort of show a few playing up when every other report has praised the English for their behaviour during the tournament. Yes we did drink too much and yes we were rowdey, but there was none of the mass redevelopment of cities that happened in 1998 or 2000, so the fact things are improving is a positive.

I am not surprised that certain people are getting on their high horse on here, it happened in 2004 when there was that trouble in Portugal, even though the authorities said it was not particualy to do with football and some people on here were calling for the Brighton fan that deported from Portugal to get a life ban from the Albion, before hearing the evidence (even the British Police said in hindsight he was just rounded up and it was a case of wrong place).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sid James said:
Does that make it better or worse ?

neither , but it's a bit shit to call the programme hooligans, mention the English disease numerous time when the problems are actually closer to home ie every weekend in our towns and cities, this had nothing to do with england abroad or the world cup, just mostly chavs getting hammered and acting hard

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just watched this and expected it to be a cheap shot, tarring the majority of England fans with the same brush.

Thought it was pretty balanced though - many times making the point that the vast, vast majority were well behaved.

There clearly is a big problem still with drunken, loutish behaviour. I think it's better that it's highlighted rather than swept under the carpet. It doesn't take many fans to make you feel ashamed to be English and, having been to several major tournaments, it is NOT the same with every country.

The only thing I really disliked was some of the terminology and the pounding music put to the fights - the hoolligans must have been loving all the war analogies, making their pathetic lives seem more important.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
trueblue said:
There clearly is a big problem still with drunken, loutish behaviour. I think it's better that it's highlighted rather than swept under the carpet. It doesn't take many fans to make you feel ashamed to be English and, having been to several major tournaments, it is NOT the same with every country.

There is an element that it is in the British mentality to get in a bar and not leave until you can no longer remember your name. But I think another thing that has to be taken into account is the fact that the English travelled in huge numbers (70,000 plus) at most venues. Other than the Germans no country had these numbers, the Dutch and Poles took a lof of fans out there but nothing compared with how many English were there. So if you have these numbers there is always going to be more scope for incidents, however that is all these were, they were not full scale riots such as Marseilles or Charlois (sp).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Jam The Man said:
Personally i don't think they should expect any kind of abuse at all.. banter is one thing, abuse is entirely different.

Regarding the 'save the children' comment, i'd like to know how it can be condonable to act like that with children around? So whose children are they... they're the children of the hooligans, who will probably see what Daddy is doing and find it rather acceptable to get in the face of a Brazilian teen girl and scream at her to 'get her tits out'
Look, I know where you're coming from, parents shouldn't be taking their kids to places like that full stop, but that is their choice. It just pisses me off because I was drinking in that area and it wasn't an agressive atmosphere at all, what they showed on TV was more of an isolated incident

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Billy the Fish said:
Look, I know where you're coming from, parents shouldn't be taking their kids to places like that full stop, but that is their choice. It just pisses me off because I was drinking in that area and it wasn't an agressive atmosphere at all, what they showed on TV was more of an isolated incident

yep , i was drinking in those exact places and saw some knuckle draggers but that was it. The cameraman must of been well cheesed off, 3 weeks intensive shooting and the worst violence he gets is a few bottles + a few groups being pissed + nobish, hardly the running battles 200 v 200 going on for hours they expected.

incidently, My old man took me everywhere when i was a boy + I remember being in some right situations , dont think it did me any harm right or wrong

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Sorry to get on my high horse and be all santimonious but I don't see the fact that we didn't trash Germany's cities as a resounding success.

I'm not for one second ignoring the fact that MASSIVE improvements have been made with regard to England fan's travelling abroad but to trawl out the same old platitudes about isolated incidents and sensationalist reporting just doesn't wash.

I would agree that this WAS NOT football hooliganism as we know it and that the issue does transcend football, but it doesn't change the fact that the 1% or whatever it is who behave in this manner are reinforcing our rightful reputation as a nation of thugs.

And the suggestion that all other nations are the same is just laughable.

What we saw last night was not staged or provoked and it does happen all the time on our own streets. It probably did take hours of filming to get what we saw last night but I can't believe that anyone would watch it and not feel regret that it happened.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
Sorry to get on my high horse and be all santimonious but I don't see the fact that we didn't trash Germany's cities as a resounding success.

I'm not for one second ignoring the fact that MASSIVE improvements have been made with regard to England fan's travelling abroad but to trawl out the same old platitudes about isolated incidents and sensationalist reporting just doesn't wash.

I would agree that this WAS NOT football hooliganism as we know it and that the issue does transcend football, but it doesn't change the fact that the 1% or whatever it is who behave in this manner are reinforcing our rightful reputation as a nation of thugs.

And the suggestion that all other nations are the same is just laughable.

What we saw last night was not staged or provoked and it does happen all the time on our own streets. It probably did take hours of filming to get what we saw last night but I can't believe that anyone would watch it and not feel regret that it happened.

Surely the best way forward is to report the good things that happened, the behaviour, the PR stunts carried out with local groups by London Englandfans etc. Rather than trawling out the same old rubbish as it gets good viewing figures and allows people that have never been abroad with national team to suddenly become experts on matters that were very minor.

Sid James said:

I would agree that this WAS NOT football hooliganism as we know it and that the issue does transcend football

For me, this is the point. It wasn't hooliganism, it was drunken loutish behaviour. So why market the programme as the English hooligan problem at the world cup? The problem is with society at home and nothing to do with football. As UB says, for higher viewing figures and it worked. Not the sort of ploy you would expect from Panorama though.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
*ALERT*

Quality, considered debate without the use of flaming found on NSC!
Well done all!:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here