Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia-The perspective of a gay fan

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
As an openly gay Albion fan-there are a few, as indeed there are in all clubs, I have finally felt the need to wade into this 'homophobia' debate as some responses on here are spot on and others ignorant and at worst homophobic themselves.

I have experienced homophobia. I have attended many Albion football matches. The previous two sentences are rarely linked though. I have not really experienced any homophobia at Albion games from the opposition supporters.

Let me define what I regard as 'homophobia' and give it perspective. The very word is a bad interpretation of the greek that forms it, as indeed is many of the new words the tabloids have entered into the common language. This makes it an abused catch all phrase which I will try to bring an understanding to by raising what is relevant in terms of what should be allowed in a civil society and what shouldn't.

Homophobia is hatred, it is condemnation, it is discrimination and is delivered through attitudes more than words. There are words that have come to spearhead its thrust such as 'faggot' (which is freely used on this forum) and some others which have a nasty historical significance from the days when gay people in this country experienced really homophobic hate (those two words are linked and important to my next paragraph).

When assessing the 'homophobic' chants of opposition fans we should ask which category they fall in. Are they hatred/deeply offensive? ('Faggots'. 'HIV,HIV' (Portsmouth 1990-very upsetting)) Are they an assertion against the alpha males sexual identity? or are they just annoying? If they fall into the category of the last two questions they are not homophobic.

I salute those Albion fans who have responded with their own witty tunes that totally emasculate the oppositions fans ultimate objective which is not to incite hatred (with the occasional exception) but to goad and jest to ferment a tribal atmosphere.

I do not salute those who complain at the drop of the hat in the same way as Jason Donovan complained about a magazine that suggested he was gay and ended up looking the most foolish as he appeared, if anything, to be the homophobe. (Which he wasn't and isn't-like many of those fans).

Please do not dilute hatred against gay people just because you are irritated by a few chants personally and not on behalf of homosexuals. As someone pointed out, when asked if their boyfriend knew they were here a gay person would have just a yes or no response. When called a faggot or a queer, with the historical venom associated with it, a gay person would get very upset.

It was only at Fratton Park in 1990 that I got really upset.

Lets kick real hatred out of sport, but not make a mockery of this objective by diluting its interpretation.

As an openly gay Albion fan-there are a few, as indeed there are in all clubs, I have finally felt the need to wade into this 'homophobia' debate as some responses on here are spot on and others ignorant and at worst homophobic themselves.

I have experienced homophobia. I have attended many Albion football matches. The previous two sentences are rarely linked though. I have not really experienced any homophobia at Albion games from the opposition supporters.

Let me define what I regard as 'homophobia' and give it perspective. The very word is a bad interpretation of the greek that forms it, as indeed is many of the new words the tabloids have entered into the common language. This makes it an abused catch all phrase which I will try to bring an understanding to by raising what is relevant in terms of what should be allowed in a civil society and what shouldn't.

Homophobia is hatred, it is condemnation, it is discrimination and is delivered through attitudes more than words. There are words that have come to spearhead its thrust such as 'faggot' (which is freely used on this forum) and some others which have a nasty historical significance from the days when gay people in this country experienced really homophobic hate (those two words are linked and important to my next paragraph).

When assessing the 'homophobic' chants of opposition fans we should ask which category they fall in. Are they hatred/deeply offensive? ('Faggots'. 'HIV,HIV' (Portsmouth 1990-very upsetting)) Are they an assertion against the alpha males sexual identity? or are they just annoying? If they fall into the category of the last two questions they are not homophobic.

I salute those Albion fans who have responded with their own witty tunes that totally emasculate the oppositions fans ultimate objective which is not to incite hatred (with the occasional exception) but to goad and jest to ferment a tribal atmosphere.

I do not salute those who complain at the drop of the hat in the same way as Jason Donovan complained about a magazine that suggested he was gay and ended up looking the most foolish as he appeared, if anything, to be the homophobe. (Which he wasn't and isn't-like many of those fans).

Please do not dilute hatred against gay people just because you are irritated by a few chants personally and not on behalf of homosexuals. As someone pointed out, when asked if their boyfriend knew they were here a gay person would have just a yes or no response. When called a faggot or a queer, with the historical venom associated with it, a gay person would get very upset.

Lets kick real hatred out of sport, but not make a mockery of this objective by diluting its interpretation.

another jcl:facepalm:

Nov 20, 2011
Most of this hatred is just the same old mob mentality that still exists in most forms of society in the UK. Get people out of a crowd and on their own and the vast majority wouldn't say boo to a goose (let me make it clear, I am not goosaphobic).

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Thanks very interesting. I have always wondered whether gay fans are bothered by anti gay jibes we always get

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

Well constructed post and a good insight.

I personally don't think there is any hatred coming from opposition fans towards Brighton fans as 'gay people', maybe as rivals but not because we're all 'gay'. Like you say it's just done in jest and to goad. There may be one or two wrong 'uns but as a collective I don't believe people are full of hate towards Brighton for being gay.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's interesting to hear your view on the subject FH, although I wouldn't say you are the authority and speak for every gay person. As an openly gay man you are probably less easy to offend than a younger person who is less sure of themselves.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
It is still the ultimate insult so I cant see it being eradicated from football and lads banter

I don't think it's an insult Dougal. That suggests that to be gay is somehow offensive. Think about your attitude towards the words being said rather than the words themselves.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
It's interesting to hear your view on the subject FH, although I wouldn't say you are the authority and speak for every gay person. As an openly gay man you are probably less easy to offend than a younger person who is less sure of themselves.

No, I am not an authority and you are right to point this out.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Any rival fans who consider it the ultimate insult are idiots and neanderthals, and any Albion fans too. Why, in fact, should it be considered an insult at all?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Well done for posting, but I found it a little wordy and I'm not honestly sure of your point? Are you annoyed because a lot of what gets called homophobia is actually not homophobia?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is still the ultimate insult so I cant see it being eradicated from football and lads banter
I don't think it's an insult Dougal. That suggests that to be gay is somehow offensive. Think about your attitude towards the words being said rather than the words themselves.
Indeed, FH is obviously right. To suggest being called gay is the ultimate insult is insulting, even though I'm sure you don't mean to be insulting Dougal.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Indeed, FH is obviously right. To suggest being called gay is the ultimate insult is insulting, even though I'm sure you don't mean to be insulting Dougal.

Makes sense and fair play for posting. Decent read.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Well done for posting, but I found it a little wordy and I'm not honestly sure of your point? Are you annoyed because a lot of what gets called homophobia is actually not homophobia?

You actually got the point. And in suggesting that some of what observers call homophobia isn't, I am trying to focus people on what is real hatred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here