Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia and football

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Hi all,

I am currently writing an article on homphobia in football and in particular on the terraces. I am obviously putting a fair amount of emphasis on Brighton as it gains more homophobic chanting than other clubs. I am in discussions with the Stonewall group on this who are working hard to raise awareness of the issue.

Anyway, I would like some thoughts and quotes from Brighton fans on the issue. Do you find the chanting offensive or not? Should fans be ejected from the ground or not? Is it as bad as racism on the terraces or not?

I would also be keen to chat to any gay fans on this site (PM me if you wish).

Also, are there any confirmed gay footballers? I know the rumours about Le Saux (false), Campbell, Ljundberg etc but are there any openly gay players?

Honest and serious responses please, if you are used in the article then of course I will quote you and you will have your name in black and white :)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Personally I dont find it offensive because I have nothing to be offended about. As far as I am concerned its a bit of banter between two sets of fans. Even though I am Brighton born and bred, was around long, long before Brighton became associated with homosexuality, and more to the point straight, I recognise that Brighton has now become stereotyped and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Why should it?

What isnt banter and is offensive is when (for example) Leeds fans sing about the Munich disaster at Man Utd or outright blatant racism etc, etc.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
But fans who take hair straighteners to matches really dont help our image.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
One thing that I have found, mainly at away games is that when Brighton fans are taunted with the gay things, whether it be in the ground or on the streets, the blokes dishing out the the abuse nearly all react in the same way.

If you try and deny you are gay, they get more aggressive and want a fight
If you pretend youre gay and ask them what the problem is they genuinely dont know what to do and retract from their aggresive stance.

Also, have a look at the Brighton Bandits website, they are a gay football team and have some interest stuff to say.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Marcus, out of interest would you find racist chanting offensive though?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I do not think the club have challenged this area enough. I am sure when they were offered the chance to have a 'pride game' the club said something crass like, it will only bring more attention to our club and fans.

I am sure around this time the loan America goalie from Blackburn wore a pink shirt, got loads of abuse from the away end (at Leeds!) and McGee had an old style barny about it.

I think Charlton and other clubs have been more forward thinking in campaigns to challenge homophobia.

I think over the years the away chants sound tired and unimaginative, I love it when we chant 1-0 etc the Nancy boys and your to ugly, but are these then derogatory.

Who is your aticle for and what is your take on this area, I know a group in the club has recently taken on this issue so it will be an interesting read, which in itself will be picked up and thrown around boards like this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2003/may/25/horseracing.theobserver

Last edited:

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
John O'Shea and Dean Ashton are gay.

I don't find it offensive at all, I find it funny, however I probably would be offended if I was actually gay.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
...personally It does'nt bother me that oppo fans chant Gay abuse, its actually funny watching them think that they're the first ones to think of it!

I'm sure that, similarly, welsh fans crumble when they get the sheepshagger chants and that Liverpool fans wilt when they get "sign on" sung at them.

Its all part of the game as far as I'm concerned and I would rather that we had something unique about us such as this rather than being completely bland like Peterborough or Northampton...what singles them out from the pack? sod all.

I sat with the West Ham fans at the Boleyn when we played them in the cup and they started singing (predictably) "does your boyfriend know you're here?" but gave the Albion fans applause when "You're too ugly to be Gay" was instantly chanted back at them.

Long may the banter continue...after all Oscar Wilde famously said of Brighton..

"Piers, Queers and Racketeers" and he should know what he was talking about...and I don't think he was a Palace fan.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If you try and deny you are gay, they get more aggressive and want a fight
If you pretend youre gay and ask them what the problem is they genuinely dont know what to do and retract from their aggresive stance.

The ADAMS study

The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men and a group of nonhomophobic men; they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia. The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Marcus, out of interest would you find racist chanting offensive though?

Its a good question. The answer is yes because thats not "banter", I see what you are saying in that homophobic chants could be construed as offensive but...

"We can see you holding hands, does your boyfriend know your here" etc etc. Thats mildly amusing (in the fact that each team think they are the first to sing that) and we have our responses.

On the other hand "you gay **** you f***ing gay bastard" bit like you "black bastard or whatever" then yes that is offensive. As you can see/hear the hatred.

I suppose its all about context innit as Bevendean so eloquently put it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
But fans who take hair straighteners to matches really dont help our image.

He is as straight as they come though...there was some Hairspray in the manbag as well as I recall....

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Who is your aticle for and what is your take on this area, I know a group in the club has recently taken on this issue so it will be an interesting read, which in itself will be picked up and thrown around boards like this.

QUOTE]

Article is for The Guardian and Sociology review. I may send it to the club as well if they are interested.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
The ADAMS study

The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men and a group of nonhomophobic men; they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia. The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies.

Thats difficult to chant back though.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
He is as straight as they come though...there was some Hairspray in the manbag as well as I recall....

I have seen him on nights out. Ask him about the Black Lion day before Pride. Think the word is FROTTAGE.

Its the man purse people that really worry me tho.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
...personally It does'nt bother me that oppo fans chant Gay abuse, its actually funny watching them think that they're the first ones to think of it!

I'm sure that, similarly, welsh fans crumble when they get the sheepshagger chants and that Liverpool fans wilt when they get "sign on" sung at them.

Its all part of the game as far as I'm concerned and I would rather that we had something unique about us such as this rather than being completely bland like Peterborough or Northampton...what singles them out from the pack? sod all.

I sat with the West Ham fans at the Boleyn when we played them in the cup and they started singing (predictably) "does your boyfriend know you're here?" but gave the Albion fans applause when "You're too ugly to be Gay" was instantly chanted back at them.

Long may the banter continue...after all Oscar Wilde famously said of Brighton..

"Piers, Queers and Racketeers" and he should know what he was talking about...and I don't think he was a Palace fan.

Good response - what he said! :smile:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
much of the terrace banter emanates from Brighton fans themselves (ie.. at Torquay "1-0 to the batty boys")

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here