Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

homemade burger recipes

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
the thread about the best burger in sussex got me thinking . who makes their own and how do you do it? i have to admit ive tried many different ways and not really cracked it yet.

my first attempt when i was a teenager involved sticking a load of mince beef together.

probably my best attempt was when i minced up some brisket in a hand mincer with very thick holes for the mince to go through . mixed that up with some fried onion and garlic , seasoned it well and chopped up some fresh herbs . it tasted nice but the prob ws the consistency wasnt quite like that fresh quality pub burger if you know what i mean.

any recipes?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I usually put in an egg or two to bind it all together. That should give you the consistency you want. I also find a spoonful of mustard in addition to the other ingredients you mentioned gives a better taste.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Get some decent mince from the local butcher, stick it in the mixer with the blade, add an egg or two to gel it (or carrot), and add whatever you want with the mix... I'd be with a few hot chillies and some chilli powder, maybe a bit of garlic and a touch of herbs, salt, pepper. When it's all looking like a pate, make it into individual burgers to your suited size and grill... sorted!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Chop some red chillis, corriander, spring onion and a normal onion. Throw in the mince and some salt and pepper and an egg to hold it all together. Mix it all up, divide it into equal patties, grill each side for around 8 minutes. Meanwhile slice your buns and lightly toast under grill, place a slice of that Mexican jalapeño cheese on the burgers until melting, remove burgers. Iceberg lettuce and a slice of buffalo tomato, serve with sweet potato chips and a sweet chilli dipping sauce. Delicious.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Beef
• Finely chop an onion - in the blender if necessary.
• Throw in a couple of garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, chilli, English mustard and oregano and thyme.
• Smash it all together with some minced beef, until you get a 'brain' consistency'
• With the moisture from the onion and mustard, you don't need an egg. If it's too moist, throw in some breadcrumbs.
• Form into three inch balls, flatten and stick under the grill.

Lamb
• Throw in several garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, rosemary and mint.
• Smash it all together with some minced lamb, until you get a 'brain' consistency'
• With the moisture from the onion, you don't need an egg. If it's too moist, throw in some breadcrumbs.

Pork
• Throw in a couple of garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, sage and fennel seeds.
• Smash it all together with some minced pork, until you get a 'brain' consistency'
• With the moisture from the onion, you don't need an egg. If it's too moist, throw in some breadcrumbs.

Venison
• Throw in half a dozen strips of streaky bacon, a couple of garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, tomato ketchup, English mustard, Worcestershire sauce, oregano and thyme.
• Smash it all together with some minced venison, until you get a 'brain' consistency'
• With the moisture from the onion and bacon, you don't need an egg.

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I like a fairly plain burger just with good quality mince mixed with salt, pepper a hint of garlic and an egg to bind the mixture. Then add a decent wedge of melted cheddar or St Agur for a cheese or blue cheese burger served in a toasted bun with slice of chilled tomato, cucumber and iceberg lettuce and mayo. A couple of chilled beers go nicely with that.

For an italian twist add a little more garlic, some ground fennel seeds and some chilli flakes, gives it an italian sausage flavour.

My meatballs are similar but with a little moist brown bread mixed in too, great on pasta with a strong tomato sauce.

Piglets Pantry - over to you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Beef
• Throw in a couple of garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, chilli, English mustard and oregano and thyme.
• Smash it all together with some minced beef, until you get a 'brain' consistency'
• With the moisture from the onion and mustard, you don't need an egg. If it's too moist, throw in some breadcrumbs.

Lamb
• Throw in several garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, rosemary and mint.
• Smash it all together with some minced lamb, until you get a 'brain' consistency'

Pork
• Throw in a couple of garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, sage and fennel seeds.
• Smash it all together with some minced pork, until you get a 'brain' consistency'

Venison
• Throw in half a dozen strips of streaky bacon, a couple of garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, tomato ketchup, English mustard, Worcestershire sauce, oregano and thyme.
• Smash it all together with some minced venison, until you get a 'brain' consistency'
• With the moisture from the onion and bacon, you don't need an egg.

What do you have for your main course Al?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I used to work in a gourmet burger restaurant so I'm a bit of a dab hand at this!
Using whichever quantities you require use:

Half and half of fresh mince and braised beef (from the ribs)
Blend together til almost paste like. Add ketchup, oyster sauce, thyme, mustard and garlic!
Again, mix well and roll into small fist sized balls and push flat. Wrap in cling film and put them in the chiller.

Served with a toasted tiger bap, cook burger til medium rare, then top with a liberal portion of grated cheddar and crispy bacon. Serve medium with a side of homemade chunky chips and a chilli coleslaw.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
My tip is to put the burgers (when made) into the fridge before cooking.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I ruddy LOVE a good burger I do.

I tend to play it by ear when making them fresh but one thing I'd never be without is chilli, chilli and more chilli.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Use one of the burger recipes above, just make the burgers thinner.
Put some stilton (or any other cheese) on one burger, then put another burger on top of that and squeeze the burgers together, then cook... Heaven. I had it in a greek restaurant a few years ago :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here