Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

homemade burger recipes

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Buffalo burger

Try Nigel Slaters burger with a difference, stuffed into a ciabatta with mozzarella and basil – it's delicious!
Ingredients

500g/1lb 1oz buffalo mince

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 large (or 4 small) ciabatta loaf

2 beefsteak tomatoes

a handful of large basil leaves

2 balls of buffalo mozzarella, thickly sliced

Preparation method

Heat a grill or griddle pan. Season the buffalo mince with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Shape the seasoned mince into eight small patties.

Grill (or griddle) the patties until nicely coloured on both sides, about five minutes or so each side. They are best when still slightly pink in the centre, but that is up to you.

Cut the ciabatta into short lengths and split them open. Place a slice of tomato, a large basil leaf or two and a slice of mozzarella in each one. Slide a cooked burger (or two if they are very small) into each ciabatta and squeeze together so the juices from the tomato, mozzarella and meat mix together. Eat immediately.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Getting the sauce right also helps.

For a decent bigmac style burger sauce i use:

1tsp ketchup
1tsp frenchs mustard
3tsp mayo
1-2tsp finely chopped gerkin

Leave in fridge for at least 30mins prior to use to allow the flavours to combine.

Lovely jubbly.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I always add tomato ketchup, worcester sauce, garlic, chilli, fried onions and occasionally i mould the burger mix around a small ball of cheese.

make the burgers up to 24 hours in advance and always chill them

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Definitely no egg or breadcrumbs. That's burger disaster. You simply don't need it.

The only reason people add egg is because you've added breadcrumbs. The only reason to add breadcrumbs is because you've added egg !

( A meatball is quite a different thing mind. It NEEDS egg and breadcrumbs to retain moisture whilst being cooked in a sauce )

I wouldn't even add onion or garlic personally, but that's just taste. If I did add onions - I'd fry them first. The acid in raw onion makes the meat go grey.

The flavour should come from grilling the meat on a high heat.

Here is a tip.

When you buy the mince you will see that the meat is neatly arranged in strands.

The trick is to make a burger with those strands pointing upwards - a bit like a carpet. Why ?

When you bite into the burger you wont be biting against the grain of the meat and the perceived texture will be all the better for it.

I carefully separate the meat into smallish "bundles" and season. Then I put the whole thing together and roll into a thick but short sausage. The diameter being that of a burger.

Trying to keep the existing strands as minced in the same direction.

I then "slice" the burgers off. They fall apart a bit, but that's ok - you carefully make them burger shape again with both hands.

Worth it ? Absolutely.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I used to work in a gourmet burger restaurant so I'm a bit of a dab hand at this!
Using whichever quantities you require use:

Half and half of fresh mince and braised beef (from the ribs)
Blend together til almost paste like. Add ketchup, oyster sauce, thyme, mustard and garlic!
Again, mix well and roll into small fist sized balls and push flat. Wrap in cling film and put them in the chiller.

Served with a toasted tiger bap, cook burger til medium rare, then top with a liberal portion of grated cheddar and crispy bacon. Serve medium with a side of homemade chunky chips and a chilli coleslaw.

I like the sound of that - particularly the oyster sauce. Bit like Heston's idea of adding fish sauce to bolognese. Just works.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I always add tomato ketchup, worcester sauce, garlic, chilli, fried onions and occasionally i mould the burger mix around a small ball of cheese.

make the burgers up to 24 hours in advance and always chill them

:drool: That sounds WELL nice

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just posted this in the other thread
[responding to someone's comment about a big mac]

My home made version (click to enlarge):

DSC00005.JPG

A little too much bun, compared to burger, but it was still quite tasty.

I think this is the recipe I used: Homemade BigMac Recipe - with Big Mac Sauce

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here