Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Home Grown Quota For Premiership

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you think that all of England's woes will be solved simply by getting more coaches into schools then I feel you are wrong. It needs this plus a total sea-change in the way the Prem, FL and FA interact and operate plus a nationwide consistent, co-ordinated, structured and monitored program to identify, coach, nurture and progress young talent from a very young age right through to the first teams of pro clubs and then hopefully the England team. Everyone needs to be on the same side....then things might change.

if getting qualified coaches into schools and youth club isnt going to solve anything, then why bring up the comparisons to numbers of qualified coaches in Spain and Germany? It would of course be best is there is a large change that brings onboard the FL and EPL clubs. but that doesnt mean the FA cannot start a program of improving the grass roots/youth coaching now, and try to bring in the clubs later. the position (from many) seems to be, if we cant do it all in a coordinated fashion, well its not going to get anywhere. im saying *start* with the FA and what it can do on its own, getting young kids to learn the basics well at school can only help.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
? Not sure what you mean.

Seeing that you brought up Hargreaves, who most people thought was our best player in the last World Cup (or at the very least, one of the best) and he hadn't played in the Premiership, does that not suggest that the Prem is not all it's cracked up to be?

That's a debate that's certainly been ignited since, with a thread on here recently about Steve Gerrard improving his game by playing in La Liga.

Didn't think that was difficult to understand - you can't be a morning person. :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
if getting qualified coaches into schools and youth club isnt going to solve anything, then why bring up the comparisons to numbers of qualified coaches in Spain and Germany? It would of course be best is there is a large change that brings onboard the FL and EPL clubs. but that doesnt mean the FA cannot start a program of improving the grass roots/youth coaching now, and try to bring in the clubs later. the position (from many) seems to be, if we cant do it all in a coordinated fashion, well its not going to get anywhere. im saying *start* with the FA and what it can do on its own, getting young kids to learn the basics well at school can only help.

Agree 100%. If you take a look at the youth teams of the PL clubs they are stuffed full of foreign youths, and the reason for this is that there is too much emphasis in this country in youth football on power, and less on skill and technique. Whilst you can get away with this at ages 7-14, the superior ball controls of foreign players that are ingrained into them from day one will be more useful as players mature.

It's a question of brain v brawn.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seeing that you brought up Hargreaves, who most people thought was our best player in the last World Cup (or at the very least, one of the best) and he hadn't played in the Premiership, does that not suggest that the Prem is not all it's cracked up to be?

That's a debate that's certainly been ignited since, with a thread on here recently about Steve Gerrard improving his game by playing in La Liga.

Didn't think that was difficult to understand - you can't be a morning person. :)

Sorry, I was referring to Walcott as being the player who had never played in the Prem.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if getting qualified coaches into schools and youth club isnt going to solve anything, then why bring up the comparisons to numbers of qualified coaches in Spain and Germany?

I dont think you fully absorbed what I wrote. I did not suggest it would not solve anything. Here is what I typed

It needs this plus a total sea-change in the way the Prem, FL and FA interact and operate
the key word is plus.

I am saying get the coaches in the schools, but there needs to be a coordinated effort from all the bodies which control football. You can just sort one section and hope the rest falls into place. In most walks of life successful projects are achieved via everyone being on board, an overall strategy and someone overseeing the whole thing. You cant just sort coaching in schools and hope the rest falls into place. I would also suggest that when there is a single body overseeing youth football in England they go and look at the German and Spanish systems to see what worked and didnt work. The French wanted change and introduced a very good system.. but arguably this has stagnated. Find out why.

It's no coincidence that when money, quality, and overall strategy from talent selection right through to the elite members was thrown at the British cycling team they blew everyone away.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sorry, I was referring to Walcott as being the player who had never played in the Prem.

I realised that after I'd posted. Given that there were two players in the squad who hadn't played in the Prem, the more obvious one is the one who played every game rather than one who didn't play a single minute.

And I think my point still stands

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I realised that after I'd posted. Given that there were two players in the squad who hadn't played in the Prem, the more obvious one is the one who played every game rather than one who didn't play a single minute.

And I think my point still stands

Your point does stand. The interesting thing is that Hargreaves was intially dismissed, even booed, by the England fans. Someone put it to me that he did not play in the Premiership style (i.e. race around the pitch clattering into opponents) so therefore he was seen as a bit lazy. This obviously changed when folk realised he was the only player who could actually retain the ball and be a bit thoughtful.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the key word is plus.
... You cant just sort coaching in schools and hope the rest falls into place.

ok i missed the plus, picked up on the last sentance as quoted by El Pres. however you can do something to improve basic skills and hope or work towards other parts with clubs fall into place. to not start simply because people believe the latter part wont happen, will definately lead to nothing happening.

f*** the "coordinated effort" for now, get the ground work in. really succesfull projects work becuase people have a vision and start, building momentum and gaining support as it goes, not waiting until everyone who may be involved is onboard. the FA has the resources to do something now, they just need the will or pressure to do it. asking that they must bring in the FL/EPL from the beginning just delays everything.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
f*** the "coordinated effort" for now, get the ground work in. really succesfull projects work becuase people have a vision and start, building momentum and gaining support as it goes, not waiting until everyone who may be involved is onboard.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. To impiment infrastructure so vast and far reaching I feel you need buy-in from all the vested groups.

the FA has the resources to do something now, they just need the will or pressure to do it.

Erm, they dont have the resources. They are stuggling financially via being up to their necks over Wembley and the collapse of Setanta as well as some dubious other financial arrangements. The future is non too rosy either as nearly all their 1st and 2nd tier sponsorship deals concluded after this world cup...a poor showing and a recession will prob mean lower income on future arrangements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here