Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ah I thought so, your confused.
The outward journey from the uk, yes you can speed up the tests and they are expensive.
We had the ones you posted the link for outward for £120 per person.

But on return now, you have to self isolate for 3 days and get a test upon return, which we cannot do now, because we have to go straight back to work and school.
If there was a rapid test on return with a result in 3-5 hours, for maybe £150 per person then we might think about it.

As I said we can't really come back early, as we want to see both parents near enough equally or it gets funny.

Ah well, people have bigger problems than this, so it is all pretty self indulgent, but not seeing her family for so long now. I feel they have missed out on our daughter growing up from a 9 year old to a 12 year old punky emo girl.

You can test immediately after landing (drive through at the airport as you leave) and get the results the following day (at worst - ours came through in 5 hours) for £69 pp so don’t need 3 days isolation ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can test immediately after landing (drive through at the airport as you leave) and get the results the following day (at worst - ours came through in 5 hours) for £69 pp so don’t need 3 days isolation ?

I didn’t realise until recently that the lazily titled “Day 2 Test” meant any time/day up to Day 2 after arriving back in the UK.

This misunderstanding didn’t adversely affect our previous holidays in 2020 or 2021, but this will prove useful for us now and in early January.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I didn’t realise until recently that the lazily titled “Day 2” meant any time/day up to Day 2 after arriving back in the UK.

This misunderstanding didn’t adversely affect our previous holidays in 2020 or 2021, but this will prove useful for us now and in early January.

Hmmm very misleading initial information, why don't they tell you, that things like this can be done.
instead of the the headlines, like quarantine for three days minimum.

Think i found it ?

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/london-heathrow-airport/#Heathrow Drive Through

This could mean it is all back on, now frantically calls and emails are in order.

PS: Thank you so much Dazzer666 & Weststander so much..

We still have to take a test 48 hours before we fly from Arizona back to the uk and the only one we have found so far is $200 each in Scottsdale, and then the drive through on arrival £70 each, plus the ones on the way out to USA i think were £120 each that is close to £1000.00 on tests, someone is making big money out of this feckin pandemic.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hmmm very misleading initial information, why don't they tell you, that things like this can be done.

Think i found it ?

This could mean it is all back on, now frantically calls and emails are in order.

We still have to take a test 48 hours before we fly from Arizona back to the uk and the only one we have found so far is $200 each in Scottsdale, and then the drive through on arrival £70 each, plus the ones on the way out to USA i think were £120 each that is close to £1000.00 on tests, someone is making big money out of this feckin pandemic.

It’s definitely a colossal money-making scheme, the tests aren’t any different than the free NHS ones……anyway, hope you get things sorted, it’s definitely a trade-off of sucking up costs to get trips done versus not doing them but I’m glad we did all of our recent things. We’ve used ExpressTest drive-through at Gatwick 3 times now and they’ve been very good every time. Results likely to come through much quicker than they say.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We still have to take a test 48 hours before we fly from Arizona back to the uk and the only one we have found so far is $200 each in Scottsdale

You don't have to do that.

Return-to-UK tests can be LFT and don't have to be supervised (which, frankly, is farcical as it means you can test anyone any time to get your required negatives) so you can buy LFTs from a UK supplier and take them with you.

This is one example, but there are probably cheaper: https://breatheassured.com/product/rapid-antigen-travel-testing-service-with-certificate-variations/

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You don't have to do that.

Return-to-UK tests can be LFT and don't have to be supervised (which, frankly, is farcical as it means you can test anyone any time to get your required negatives) so you can buy LFTs from a UK supplier and take them with you.

This is one example, but there are probably cheaper: https://breatheassured.com/product/rapid-antigen-travel-testing-service-with-certificate-variations/

Thanks Bozza, we have a few test boxes here because of our daughter school tests etc.

have you got a link for "it does not have to be supervised return flight from usa to uk"
sorry to be a pain, I can't find one.

It is all so ambiguous :facepalm:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks Bozza, we have a few test boxes here because of our daughter school tests etc.

have you got a link for "it does not have to be supervised return flight from usa to uk"
sorry to be a pain, I can't find one.

It is all so ambiguous :facepalm:

You can't use NHS tests - it will have to be commercially-purchased in order to generate the required certificate but, as above, they are as cheap as about £20.

You might not be able to find anything in the official wording that says that a test can be unsupervised, but you'll also not find anything saying that it has to be supervised, because it doesn't.

I'm active in a fair few US holiday communities, because that's where we tend to holiday, which is how I know this, and know of people who have already returned to the UK with the kits linked to above.

This Independent piece covers it - https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...vel-rules-covid-test-quarantine-b1969929.html

What tests do I need?

Fully vaccinated arrivals must take a pre-departure test. It can be lateral flow/rapid antigen or PCR, in addition to the post-arrival PCR.

As PCR tests are slower and more expensive, most travellers will settle for a quick, cheap lateral flow.

NHS tests cannot be used. Self-administered tests sold by recognised providers in the UK, including those using photographic evidence, are acceptable.​

Unsupervised tests are perfectly valid and not trying to jump through a loophole.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Think i found it ?

I think some individuals / shareholders in places like US, Spain and the US will make £100m’s (profits) from this on testing alone.

A year ago we booked some Gatwick Express tests, then the lockdown. A long story but all you get if you’re lucky are some paper credits. Hard to use and they completely lost my son’s booking.

£400 down the swanny.

One of the people running one of these businesses, fair do’s he came on R4 to be interviewed. His only justification for the very high cost for something so cheap for them, was he employs a load of admin staff running it all.

The pandemic has been an enriching beyond-wildest-dreams event for a shrewd bunch of people. Wealth beyond their wildest dreams. On the continent too - a guy in Ibiza, part of one of their pop up labs, said it had been incredible.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think some individuals / shareholders in places like US, Spain and the US will make £100m’s (profits) from this on testing alone.

A year ago we booked some Gatwick Express tests, then the lockdown. A long story but all you get if you’re lucky are some paper credits. Hard to use and they completely lost my son’s booking.

£400 down the swanny.

One of the people running one of these businesses, fair do’s he came on R4 to be interviewed. His only justification for the very high cost for something so cheap for them, was he employs a load of admin staff running it all.

The pandemic has been an enriching beyond-wildest-dreams event for a shrewd bunch of people. Wealth beyond their wildest dreams. On the continent too - a guy in Ibiza, part of one of their pop up labs, said it had been incredible.

again, people getting rich on the back of everyday folks back, misery and circumstances, soon travelling abroad will again exclusively for the rich and famous.

I hate it, but that is society today, greed.

Now we are having re-booking everything and the link Bozza kindly provided for same day test near or at Heathrow seems to be fully booked up, as you would expect after the holidays...

Aaaaarrrggghhhh

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Michigan Father in law, hard working business owner just retired before the pandemic, several failed marriages, turns to god, (he gave us some dvds about god one Christmas, one of them denying dinosaurs are real, I put them straight in the bin) voted for Trump, believes the vote was rigged, told that covid is a hoax by his pastor, so refused the vaccine….

Ignored texts and voicemail messages from our daughter to get the vaccine, she told him she got the vaccine to protect him (she’s 12) ready for Christmas when we come over (re booked our tickets, trip back on)

Message today he thinks he’s got covid and will go to the doctors today !!!
The wife & daughter were meant to fly out on Saturday….

I give up….

Cancelling the trip, Bollox to covid and stupid Americans

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Michigan Father in law, hard working business owner just retired before the pandemic, several failed marriages, turns to god, (he gave us some dvds about god one Christmas, one of them denying dinosaurs are real, I put them straight in the bin) voted for Trump, believes the vote was rigged, told that covid is a hoax by his pastor, so refused the vaccine….

Ignored texts and voicemail messages from our daughter to get the vaccine, she told him she got the vaccine to protect him (she’s 12) ready for Christmas when we come over (re booked our tickets, trip back on)

Message today he thinks he’s got covid and will go to the doctors today !!!
The wife & daughter were meant to fly out on Saturday….

I give up….

Cancelling the trip, Bollox to covid and stupid Americans

FFS

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So the most pointless tests are gone again - was a complete waste of time with people just ignoring the Overseas test to come home and finding ways around it.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Can’t quite believe this thread is into year 3!

BJ said today the ‘return from home’ tests are going so that’s the last restrictions gone- provided you’ve had 2 jabs.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can’t quite believe this thread is into year 3!

BJ said today the ‘return from home’ tests are going so that’s the last restrictions gone- provided you’ve had 2 jabs.

Last UK measure, possibly, but some countries still have testing requirements.

To go to the US you are still required to test negative the day before you fly. That's always been the main one that can really scupper your plans.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Test requirements now confirmed as ending 4am Friday 11 February - not sure why they don’t just end them today but that does coincide with half-term which will be convenient for some.

Yes agree Bozza- the destination country restrictions still need to be checked.

I saw an article saying Mexico have had no restrictions / requirements throughout covid - so maybe one to look at if seeking to avoid the hassles etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here