Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Including Crete - where I was going next week.

Both the the R rate and number of infections there is so much lower than here.

Anyone know how EasyJet are treating such matters - i.e. the plane will still fly, but we cannot go - do we lose our money or can we move flights?
Just came back from Mykonos. The place is riddled (places closing daily with staff infected) The Greeks are definitely lying about their numbers !!

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think anyone travelling abroad this summer for a holiday must be bonkers. I have some sympathy for folk who booked before all this shite kicked off, but quite apart from running the gauntlet of whether you suddenly discover you'll have to self-isolate for 2 weeks if you don't get back home before x date, and half the places shut anyway, I just can't see how it would be all that enjoyable with the endless masks and social distancing.

I love travelling abroad, but not that much. I'd far rather stash the cash and book something up next year, when things have hopefully gone back to something towards normal. This desperation to get away this summer is for nutjobs.

IMO.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Been away twice this summer and not even sorry, no offence Easy I like your posts but it’s all about personal preference, me and my partner are young, healthy and in our twenties and we’ve come away this summer, I wasn’t willing to put my life on hold for the promise of ‘next year’ when COVID could easily still be here, no complaints about having to self isolate, we took the risk and I knew that when I booked both holidays.

Two very different experiences mind you, went to Kefalonia last month and felt very safe and people were very well behaved, as of right now I’m sitting on a balcony in Tsilivi in Zante and unfortunately it’s a bloody joke, so many british idiots over here, and don’t let the press fool you, in the majority it is NOT the 18/25’s acting like idiots it’s a much older age group predominantly! Kefalonia was totally different and felt very safe.

When I read the news earlier, obviously it’s bloody annoying for me but I 100% back the decision of the government having seen what I’m seeing here right now.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think anyone travelling abroad this summer for a holiday must be bonkers. I have some sympathy for folk who booked before all this shite kicked off, but quite apart from running the gauntlet of whether you suddenly discover you'll have to self-isolate for 2 weeks if you don't get back home before x date, and half the places shut anyway, I just can't see how it would be all that enjoyable with the endless masks and social distancing.

I love travelling abroad, but not that much. I'd far rather stash the cash and book something up next year, when things have hopefully gone back to something towards normal. This desperation to get away this summer is for nutjobs.

IMO.
Been on holiday 3x over the summer. All amazing trips !! Last trip in Greece I totally forgot about covid despite a few places being closed for a few days because of it .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Been away twice this summer and not even sorry, no offence Easy I like your posts but it’s all about personal preference, me and my partner are young, healthy and in our twenties and we’ve come away this summer, I wasn’t willing to put my life on hold for the promise of ‘next year’ when COVID could easily still be here, no complaints about having to self isolate, we took the risk and I knew that when I booked both holidays.

Two very different experiences mind you, went to Kefalonia last month and felt very safe and people were very well behaved, as of right now I’m sitting on a balcony in Tsilivi in Zante and unfortunately it’s a bloody joke, so many british idiots over here, and don’t let the press fool you, in the majority it is NOT the 18/25’s acting like idiots it’s a much older age group predominantly! Kefalonia was totally different and felt very safe.

When I read the news earlier, obviously it’s bloody annoying for me but I 100% back the decision of the government having seen what I’m seeing here right now.

Fair enough, we all weigh things up and make our own choices. My nephew is away with his family in Turkey, and they've just had to extend for 2-3 days as their 2 year old was taken ill and had to go to hospital with her for a couple of nights (not covid related, thankfully). The LAST place I'd want to end up in is a hospital abroad, I thought he was nuts going in the first place and said so, but they were hankering for it so off they went.

I just don't trust anything to be sufficiently "safe" over here, let alone travelling on planes to other countries. I can wait - and probably afford something even better with an extra years worth of savings. Thats how I've been looking at it.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

I'm glad I moved my flights to kefalonia next year, looks incredible, just hoping villa plus gives me a voucher for a effing villa I've already paid for!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Was due to go to Dubai in May, Emirates canx the flight and we rebooked then for 3 October, a week ago we deferred till Feb next year, Emirates are superb and none of this has cost us extra, I’m off for a half term narrowboat cruise on the Shropshire Union with my 3 kids, 16,20 & 25, this trip was originally planned for Easter this year but it got canx.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

IMO.

Choose the right place (quiet) and I can imagine it'd still be pretty enjoyable, just for sun and sea at least. But I agree that anyone that goes without allowing for 2 weeks off when they get back deserves zero sympathy if things go tits up. Also, very few seem to consider the potential ramifications of falling ill with COVID while abroad. How do you get back considering you can't mix with anyone? And, in the worst case, how do you fancy being seriously ill in a foreign hospital when it would be scary enough at home? A lot of the country appear to have a strong sense of entitlement regarding foreign holidays. We try to get away at least a couple of times a year but fully recognise that's a luxury and we're very lucky. It's not just something that should continue regardless in the middle of a global pandemic.

We gave up on the idea of a holiday this year and, probably, for much of the next as soon as the country went into lockdown. Don't see any reason to change that view yet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Choose the right place (quiet) and I can imagine it'd still be pretty enjoyable, just for sun and sea at least. But I agree that anyone that goes without allowing for 2 weeks off when they get back deserves zero sympathy if things go tits up. Also, very few seem to consider the potential ramifications of falling ill with COVID while abroad. How do you get back considering you can't mix with anyone? And, in the worst case, how do you fancy being seriously ill in a foreign hospital when it would be scary enough at home? A lot of the country appear to have a strong sense of entitlement regarding foreign holidays. We try to get away at least a couple of times a year but fully recognise that's a luxury and we're very lucky. It's not just something that should continue regardless in the middle of a global pandemic.

We gave up on the idea of a holiday this year and, probably, for much of the next as soon as the country went into lockdown. Don't see any reason to change that view yet.

Totally agree with this.

It was the wife's 50th this year and we'd planned to go away, probably to Mexico. But it became increasingly apparent that it would be dodgy, so we binned it off. Seeing all the piss-arsing around that the government have been doing with spring-up short notice quarantines, as well as the spikes in other countries, and all the general precautions you have to take while away...nah. I'd also be paranoid as shit on a plane, where we're all sat there sharing the same air for hours. Sod all that. Then I'd just come back paranoid about seeing my elderly parents.

Not worth it at the moment.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL

IMO.

Guess it is a balance of what level of risk each person is willing to take.
For me, I am confirmed (confined!) to working from home until at least January ‘21 as is the Mrs.
2x train tickets no longer coming out so more disposable income and itchy fingers about being able to get out and see something / go somewhere.
As long as a place isn’t crawling with infection the idea of going away has become more appealing just to break out the cycle!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

IMO.

Have to agree with you.

Maybe we just have a different mindset. Some people are quite willing to go abroad and put up with all the aggro and uncertainty it entails - but it’s not for me either.

Covid is a non issue for me. It’s just the potential hassle - particularly of knowing I have to go home at any time....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

IMO.

It’s a shame the U.K. doesn’t have testing centres at ports and airports. Take a test upon arrival in the U.K., if it’s negative there’s no need to self-isolate for 14 days. Simple.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Totally agree with this.

It was the wife's 50th this year and we'd planned to go away, probably to Mexico. But it became increasingly apparent that it would be dodgy, so we binned it off. Seeing all the piss-arsing around that the government have been doing with spring-up short notice quarantines, as well as the spikes in other countries, and all the general precautions you have to take while away...nah. I'd also be paranoid as shit on a plane, where we're all sat there sharing the same air for hours. Sod all that. Then I'd just come back paranoid about seeing my elderly parents.

Not worth it at the moment.

Is the coirrect answer.
Anyone so desperate to fly abroad on hoiliday this year is an idiotic selfish c*** IMHO.

we briefly contemplated going to Spa to do a race weekend but decided against it . . . . that whole meeting has now been postponed.

All racing, scooter rallies and gigs are off this year . . . sad, but no ones died. It's a sad state of affairs when common sense takes over and your governemnt don't know their arse from their elbow. but we're used to that.

Just a shame so many people don't have any common sense, and a lack of selfishness when it comes to the health of the nation. As I've said before, If the viruse attacjked idsiots and morons the world would be a vastly improve place already.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is the coirrect answer.
Anyone so desperate to fly abroad on hoiliday this year is an idiotic selfish c*** IMHO.

we briefly contemplated going to Spa to do a race weekend but decided against it . . . . that whole meeting has now been postponed.

All racing, scooter rallies and gigs are off this year . . . sad, but no ones died. It's a sad state of affairs when common sense takes over and your governemnt don't know their arse from their elbow. but we're used to that.

Just a shame so many people don't have any common sense, and a lack of selfishness when it comes to the health of the nation. As I've said before, If the viruse attacjked idsiots and morons the world would be a vastly improve place already.

I’ll be having a break hopefully later this year ...I don’t go abroad as flying would be more like torture for me ...but I havnt got any harsh feelings for those who do travel...but I do think that this is an industry that needs support in some way

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s a shame the U.K. doesn’t have testing centres at ports and airports. Take a test upon arrival in the U.K., if it’s negative there’s no need to self-isolate for 14 days. Simple.

The idea was mooted (not by government) that a test could be taken at the airport and another five days later...but BJ said the it was only 7% accurate (I think)...how does it work in Germany

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here