Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holiday Allowance At Work

How Many Days leave (excluding Bank Holidays) does your employer allow you ?

• Under 20

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 20 - 25

Votes: 40 40.8%
  • 26 - 30

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • My employer is a bastard and gives me nought

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 31-35

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • 35+

Votes: 14 14.3%

• Total voters

Dandyman

In London village.
The basics of holiday rights
There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are:

from 1 October this year you are entitled to a minimum of 4.8 weeks (24 days based on a 5 day full time week).
the entitlement will increase again to 5.6 weeks from 1 April 2009
those working part-time are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 4.8 then 5.6 times your usual working week)

• you start building up holiday as soon as you start work
  • your employer can control when you take your holiday
  • you get paid your normal pay for your holiday
  • when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you’ve not taken
  • bank and public holidays in Britain can be included in your minimum entitlement

In order to qualify for the right to annual leave you need to be classed as a worker. If you’re self-employed, you have no statutory right to paid annual leave.

Public and Bank Holidays

You do not have a statutory right to paid leave on bank and public holidays. If paid leave is given on a bank or public holiday, this can count towards your minimum holiday entitlement. There are eight permanent bank and public holidays in Great Britain.

If you work on a bank or public holiday, there is no automatic right to an enhanced pay rate. What you get paid depends on your contract of employment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
For some strange reason the railway have decided that workers who do office hours deserve 2 more days holiday a year than shift workers! It does'nt go down too well.

Surely that is Network Rail as opposed to the "railway" which is not an employer.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Surely that is Network Rail as opposed to the "railway" which is not an employer.

You are of course correct there fella, I'm still hungover from a large quantity of cider last night so thinking is'nt high on my agenda this morning.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
from 1 October this year you are entitled to a minimum of 4.8 weeks (24 days based on a 5 day full time week).
the entitlement will increase again to 5.6 weeks from 1 April 2009
those working part-time are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 4.8 then 5.6 times your usual working week)

Dandyman - Where did you find that info please?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Just the 12 weeks off a year for me PLUS bank hols. Teachers have a really hard life :)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As an employer based in the UAE, I give my staff 6 weeks off per year plus 4-5 days for Eid / Christmas.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
25 days only.

After 5 years we get an extra 3 days ( only for that year)
after 10 years we get an extra 5 days( again only for that year)

I also get flex time ( as they have panned OT), so that makes another 7 or 8 days on average

Dandyman

In London village.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
30 + closed over crimbo which adds on another 4 or so + work flexi time so could add up to another 6/7 with that. Can't complain.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
32.5 days (including 2.5 priv days kept when I TUPEd over from the Civil Service 10 years ago).

We have flexi hours and, in theory, I could have 2 flex days off every 4 weeks (work permitting) adding another massive 26 days off. However, in reality most of us don't take them as there is too much work on.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
20 days. Which would utterly take the piss if I ever did an honest days work.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
My employer has refused to add any additional days to our existing entitlement (20 + 1 for each year of service.)

:angry:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My employer has refused to add any additional days to our existing entitlement (20 + 1 for each year of service.)

:angry:

So has mine.:rant:

It's in the wording, and to do with Bank hols.

"The additional holiday can be inclusive of bank holidays. Therefore employers who currently offer their workers 20 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays (like mine), will already meet the increased statutory minimum holiday entitlement."

Bit of a con really. The previous minimum was 20 days, which is what I got, plus the 8 bank holidays. Now the minimum is 24, which may include the 8 bank hols. So the minimum goes up, but now can include bh's, so I benefit to the tune of nought. Technically one could argue, I've lost 4 days. If I were a postie, I'd probably go on strike about this.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So has mine.:rant:

It's in the wording, and to do with Bank hols.

"The additional holiday can be inclusive of bank holidays. Therefore employers who currently offer their workers 20 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays (like mine), will already meet the increased statutory minimum holiday entitlement."

Bit of a con really. The previous minimum was 20 days, which is what I got, plus the 8 bank holidays. Now the minimum is 24, which may include the 8 bank hols. So the minimum goes up, but now can include bh's, so I benefit to the tune of nought. Technically one could argue, I've lost 4 days. If I were a postie, I'd probably go on strike about this.

Annoying isn't it, I went through the same realisation process with my employer, only for them to smugly announce that they already offered 20 days plus Bank Holidays :angry::angry::angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here