Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holiday Allowance At Work

How Many Days leave (excluding Bank Holidays) does your employer allow you ?

• Under 20

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 20 - 25

Votes: 40 40.8%
  • 26 - 30

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • My employer is a bastard and gives me nought

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 31-35

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • 35+

Votes: 14 14.3%

• Total voters

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
OK being discussed so unless self- employed how many days excluding bank holidays are you allowed each year ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
25 days which I'm only entitled to because I've worked at the company for over ten years.

My girlfriend got that when she started her current job.

Having said that, my hours are "lax" to say the least. I also get 10 days paid sick, so technically I could get away with 35 days.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
25 days plus 2.5 privilege days (for working for the Crown) If I was there for any length of time it would rise to 28+ with long service.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
30 days, 5 days friends and family (rarely used although this is stretched by others to say the least) and sickness knows no bounds (with many).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
21 + Good Friday + the statutory bank holidays + any working days between christmas and new year minus one but thats done from home.

The 21 rises to 24, then 26, then 28 then 30 after 2, 3, 4 and 5 years service respectively. Whether I can stick the place for 5 years is another question entirely...

Sick days are effectively unlimited, ten without doctors cert but with one I don't think they've ever questioned anyone; and assuming you're not pulling a Stephen Ireland, compassionate leave is fairly lengthy too.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
25 days, except I do three and a half 12-hour days a week, meaning I actually get 18 days. But then I'm not automatically allowed ANY bank holidays (even Christmas) so I get a further 9 days to compensate.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I get 30 days with my current employer, can carry up to 15 days forward into the following year, hardest thing is being able to use it all up.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
30 days plus the bank holidays
1 day off for the Queens birthday
1/2 day privilege at Easter
10 days sick before they start getting awkward

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
20 days plus Bank Holiday's, which is now the European Union legal minimum, I believe

The average annual leave entitlement in the UK is, apparently, 25 days plus 8 public holidays.

In the USA it is 17 days plus 10 public holidays.

Best deal is Germany, with 29 days, plus 12 public holidays.

Both the UK and Germany have a statutory minimum of 20 days. The USA is the only major industrialised country with no statutory entitlement to paid leave.

by public holidays do you mean lieu days?
I mean New Years Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day Bank Holiday, Spring Bank Holiday, August Bank Holiday, Christmas Day and Boxing Day (or adjacent days taken as holiday when these occur on a Saturday or Sunday).

Or days taken in lieu of those days (without eating into annual leave entitlement) in those employment sectors where bank holiday working is required.

An interesting snippet I discovered when digging out some facts about paid holidays in different countries was the fact that, in the 'old' EU, it is only in France and the UK where pay and conditions are settled by individual companies. In most other 'old' EU countries, pay and conditions are fixed at 'sector' level (ie all engineering employers negotiate a collective deal that applies to all companies in that sector).

In most of the 'new' countries of the EU (Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta and Poland), the UK and French 'company level' approach applies. Slovakia, Slovenia and Cyprus follow the usual 'old' EU pattern of sector settlements.

The average annual leave entitlement in the UK is, apparently, 25 days plus 8 public holidays.

In the USA it is 17 days plus 10 public holidays.

Best deal is Germany, with 29 days, plus 12 public holidays.

Both the UK and Germany have a statutory minimum of 20 days. The USA is the only major industrialised country with no statutory entitlement to paid leave.

Yep, it's not uncommon over here to start a full-time job with zero days holiday for the first year.

No, I ain't joking :nono:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Just 20 and 5 of those have to be taken at Christmas.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
35 days +we close for a week at Xmas + 20 days for 'contemplation'.

No complaints from moi

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I can't vote in this thread as there's no 30+ days category - always end up carrying days over though.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
For some strange reason the railway have decided that workers who do office hours deserve 2 more days holiday a year than shift workers! It does'nt go down too well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here