Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HNY? It all ready is - CMS back by end Jan according to club doc!!

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
I'm going to sound like brightonmark here, but can't we just wait and see what he brings to the team before writing off either him or Ash?
Oh and Barnes' attitude should not be in question this year. He's been exemplary.

Every single player on here seems to divide opionions, I have no problem what so ever with Barnes I just happen to think that will have a beter option when CMS is back (assuming the injury has'nt ruined him completley).
For me, Barnes shows his frustrations a little to much... Whilst some might say it 'passion' i happen to feel otherwise. He imediatly starts falling over every time someone comes close to challenging him, then starts nagging the Ref etc... When this starts to happen I feel that he looses his way and focus

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I believe on a goals per game or minutes per goal ratio they are very similar. Barnes had a better first championship season, cms had a better second season, combined they were pretty much the same.

And in that time CMS has played far further upfield on average, as he has never played anywhere bar upfront (except maybe one game I recall on left wing). Meanwhile Barnes has played all across the front 3 and in defensive left wing at points. His goals ratio is superb.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Interesting to see some think his pace won't return post injuries. Though this is often the case with many players, I never thought CMS had much pace to begin with so this as a quality isn't a worry for me. I think his knack of right place right time IF played with a complimentary player like Ulloa will finally bring the best out of him for the Albion. Avalanche of goals predicted at the business end of the season!! Welcome back Craig!

I hope his left shooting leg, positional sense and heading into the back of the net head don't return....

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Agreed, his scoring rate was well below his incredible spell with Peterborough, BUT I felt Poyet's methodical style never suited his game. No-one could ever blame him for a lack of effort.

I always admired his commitment, right up to the 90th minute. He's a right pain in the **** for defenders, chasing them down to the corners when all they want is to clear their lines and mount an attack. He's disruptive and difficult to play against.

His confidence was on the slide, but with a couple of goals behind him (fitness allowing) I can see him being an asset. OG plays more direct and with greater tempo than GP, and that should be a far better fit for CMS's game.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
CMS offers something different to Ulloa and Barnes, Barnes offers something different to CMS and Ulloa and Ulloa offers something different to CMS and Barnes. The great thing is, they all play for us whats the problem here. Can't wait o see CMS fully fit again!!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Every single player on here seems to divide opinions, I have no problem what so ever with Barnes I just happen to think that will have a beter option when CMS is back (assuming the injury has'nt ruined him completley).
For me, Barnes shows his frustrations a little to much... Whilst some might say it 'passion' i happen to feel otherwise. He imediatly starts falling over every time someone comes close to challenging him, then starts nagging the Ref etc... When this starts to happen I feel that he looses his way and focus

PIG, Upson & Leo aside, I can't argue with that.
Personally, I'm excited that we may have three very good attacking options for the play-off push. Leo up top, with Ash tucked in behind him and Craig on the shoulder of defenders to cash in on Leo's flick ons, Ashley's through balls and crosses from whomever is fit enough to play on the wing.

I understand what you mean regarding the passion/frustration argument. He was our only one-up-top striking option for a while though and you can see that Leo doing that role looks just as irritated at times.
His disciplinary record this season speaks for itself.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Disagree! Think back to the Huddersfield game.... Would CMS have missed that sitter?? I doubt it even in a barren run!
I am not for one minute in the 'we hate Ashley Barnes' camp! but I do think his finishing is something to be desired. CMS would add another dimension to the squad ie- Pace! (hopefully) and the ability to finish in front of goal! Look at his Posh record, just never had the service under Poyet.

CMS's finishing leaves plenty to be desired as well. His Posh record was as a result of having an inordinately large number of chances created for him in a system that valued goals above all else. Since he's been with us, apart from a couple of short spells when he couldn't miss I actually had Ash down as the better shooter & more composed finisher.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I always admired his commitment, right up to the 90th minute. He's a right pain in the **** for defenders, chasing them down to the corners when all they want is to clear their lines and mount an attack. He's disruptive and difficult to play against.

As much as I loved CMS's comittment as a fan, I thought the better Championship defenders were not worried in the slightest by CMS buzzing about, they'd just knacker him out and then get on with their business.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I realise that my last 3 posts were pretty negative. I love CMS, what fan wouldn't, he's wholehearted. However, bar 2 teasingly excellent spells, he's been a dud. An expensive one at that.

The hope is that Oscar will play in a fashion that suits him a little better. I think he will.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Especially when you consider CMS has probably played more down the middle. What are their respective appearance totals, do you know?

I put together a chart of minutes on the amex pitch of every goal scorer recently. Just did one with Ulloa, Barnes and CMS and brought it up to date:

mins on amex pitch strikers 13.12.31.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here