Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HMV into admin tomorrow. Who next?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
WH Smith are the only post office outlet in many towns now , where will all the OAPs pick up their pension money from ?

This is true, the oldies love WHSmith full stop I think, it's safe and familiar and you can get lots of different bits in there, your papers, your giftcards, your stamps, your smokes and your chocolate, your printer paper, your cartridges, your back to school kits and post your letters off to the grandkids. Course, you won't be able to afford to heat your house afterwards cos you'll have spent your entire pension and you'll be discovered dead in your armchair in February with junk mail piling up behind the door and the Christmas decorations still up.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
where do you get your information from about HMV? nothing on any news sites...

I heard from people I worked there with. It has been announced for a while in the retail industry. Though I don't believe it is in actual administration just yet. It's on it's arse though and a matter of a few days I should think.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
even my mum who is 82 gets hers paid direct to the bank...probably cash needed by doleys to buy fags and white lightning....

A surprising number of OAPs don't have a bank account and when they stopped the pension books the fallback was for them to have a Post Office card account.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I heard from people I worked there with. It has been announced for a while in the retail industry. Though I don't believe it is in actual administration just yet. It's on it's arse though and a matter of a few days I should think.

It was the same with Staples closing in Grimsby , employees spilled the beans before any official announcement.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
"HMV is currently run by Trevor Moore, who only recently took over as chief executive after leaving Jessops".

He sounds like he's doing a great job :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
HMV have been staring down a barrell for years, they seem to have faced administration a few times in the past 5 odd years. competition from internet, supermarkets and very expensive large central locations do not make for a good business model. only thing they have going for them is a brand. i cant recall the last time i went into an HMV and when i did they only had racks of chart and regular old stuff thats been there for years, i either have or not interested in.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They just missed a trick didn't theyreally. If they could have had some forward thinking folks on their board they may have been able to beat Play or Amazon to the online market but the others cornered the market. Sad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They just missed a trick didn't theyreally. If they could have had some forward thinking folks on their board they may have been able to beat Play or Amazon to the online market but the others cornered the market. Sad.

Thing is they did seem to get it right. A few years back they had a decent price-competitive online model which was a good compliment to their stores. I'm not sure where that bit went wrong.

It's all but game over for Play too - they've announced they'll not be selling anything any more, it will just me a marketplace for 3rd party sellers - think eBay/Amazon Marketplace.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Shoe Zone. There's one in Fleet and the smell of plastic, when you pass the entrance, is overpowering. Never seen anyone in there.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Play.com is to become a 3rd party marketplace seller very shortly , it wont be a direct seller anymore due to the closure last year of the VAT loophole which it used to trade from the Channel Islands.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thing is they did seem to get it right. A few years back they had a decent price-competitive online model which was a good compliment to their stores. I'm not sure where that bit went wrong.

It's all but game over for Play too - they've announced they'll not be selling anything any more, it will just me a marketplace for 3rd party sellers - think eBay/Amazon Marketplace.

They almost got it but I think people adopted new ways of shopping and that meant new companies as well, HMV were seen as old fashioned. Even their little Apple shop thingy at the back of the Churchill Sq store was good but just slipped out of their grasp. When they started selling 2nd hand dvd's and cd's they lost their brand respect I think.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

They almost got it but I think people adopted new ways of shopping and that meant new companies as well, HMV were seen as old fashioned. Even their little Apple shop thingy at the back of the Churchill Sq store was good but just slipped out of their grasp. When they started selling 2nd hand dvd's and cd's they lost their brand respect I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here