Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Highlights up - That "challange" on Painter....

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I wish somebody would stick the evidence on youtube so us cheapskates could see it. :annoyed:

I had a decent view of the two-footed 'tackle' on Painter, & my immediate reaction was to mutter "he has to go for that" (or words to that effect anyway). If it had been one of our lot committing the same offence, I'm in absolutely no doubt that it would've been straight red. These Ref's are absolutely f***ing useless these days. They seemingly make the rules up as they go along innit. Not happy.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The foul by Mellon was identical to Greer.

Either two yellow or two red - not one of each.

Mellon turned on El Abd with evil intent and should also have been a red card. Both the linesman and referee clearly saw what happened.

At the game and referee was weak and once again failed to do his job properly.

owlsonlineadmin

Jul 22, 2010
The foul by Mellon was identical to Greer.

Either two yellow or two red - not one of each.

Mellon turned on El Abd with evil intent and should also have been a red card. Both the linesman and referee clearly saw what happened.

At the game and referee was weak and once again failed to do his job properly.

Give over, Mellors was a booking at best, El-Abd should be embarrassed by his reaction

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Looking at the bbc highlights it looked like mellor was wrestling El Abd, holding him in a decent double underhook before throwing him before pushing him.

The fall from the shove was dramatic, and he claimed in the argus that he was pushed in the chin, but it is clear one hand is on his chest the other on his shoulder, but a combo of that wrestling/throw and the shove should surely be red?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
On those highlights we seemed to create a lot more chances than certain posters made out?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
On those highlights we seemed to create a lot more chances than certain posters made out?

we carved out chances, but its the age old problem that nobody could put them away

i dont know whether to a) laugh at el abds reaction due to how pathetic it is, or b) be really angry because the bloke is clearly a disgrace

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I must admit El Abd went down easily but at the same time it was a SPLIT SECOND decision of how to react and after last weeks similar events with Elding and Greer he prob felt he'd try get some form of justuce and do the same! Must admit a lot of people are quick to have a pop at our player and once again last wk everyone was giving Greer stick when Elding play acted like that. Some people act the opposite of Brighton fans on here and are biased to the other team! :lol:

Aug 22, 2010
Hillsborough
I still haven't seen the replay of Sedg's tackle so I'll stick to saying it was hard but fair.

The Mellor incident - a push to the chest is ALWAYS a yellow card. If you think otherwise you're wrong. People don't get sent off for handbags (and most people don't go down like the handbag hit them in the face and was made of metal)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I still haven't seen the replay of Sedg's tackle so I'll stick to saying it was hard but fair.

The Mellor incident - a push to the chest is ALWAYS a yellow card. If you think otherwise you're wrong. People don't get sent off for handbags (and most people don't go down like the handbag hit them in the face and was made of metal)

We've had 2 sendings off already this yr for very similar things -that's prob why some of us on here are a bit bemused at the lack of consistancy. Must admit personally I would never give a red for a push like that - I play football regularly and things like that happen all the time - It's never usually even a yellow in park footy!

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

I believe a push comes under Violent Conduct in the rules and is therefore a sending off offence though? Or would you care to show me where it does come under?

Aug 22, 2010
Hillsborough
We've had 2 sendings off already this yr for very similar things -that's prob why some of us on here are a bit bemused at the lack of consistancy. Must admit personally I would never give a red for a push like that - I play football regularly and things like that happen all the time - It's never usually even a yellow in park footy!

And I can understand your frustration mate but pushing someone in the chest isn't a red card. It's being a petulant little girl who can't control their temper, which is deserving of a talking to or a yellow card depending on the ref.

I believe a push comes under Violent Conduct in the rules and is therefore a sending off offence though? Or would you care to show me where it does come under?

No it's not violent conduct, when has a push in the chest ever been a straight red card? Would you still be think it deserving of a red card if El Abd had took the push like a man? (ie taken a step or two back)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Law 12
Direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent

Advice to Officials:
Careless, reckless, using excessive force
“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
• No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless “Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.
• A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned “Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off

Serious foul play
A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play unless
there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player guilty of serious foul play when the ball is next out of play.

A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred
inside the offender’s penalty area).

Violent conduct

A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality
against an opponent when not challenging for the ball.

He is also guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against a team-mate, spectator, match offi cial or any other person.

Violent conduct may occur either on the fi eld of play or outside its boundaries, whether the ball is in play or not.

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving violent conduct unless there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player guilty of violent conduct when the ball is next out of play.

Referees are reminded that violent conduct often leads to mass confrontation,
therefore they must try to avert this with active intervention.

A player, substitute or substituted player who is guilty of violent conduct must be sent off.
(http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf)

Pushing isn't specified in the violent conduct or the serious foul play sections, so it goes to the general policy for fouls

The general policy for fouls being: is the push careless (just a free kick), reckless (yellow card) or excessive force (red card)? Seems to me it is a judgement call of the ref, depending on how violent the push is, not where the hands are.

Personally, I'd say the push was "reckless", but the throw before the push was "excessive force".

Aug 22, 2010
Hillsborough
And I've just watched the BBC highlights (No Sedgwick tackle unfortunately), but we seem to be ignoring the fact that El Abd dragged Mellor down for what should have been a penalty and a booking before he got pushed.

Oh, and due to me being sat at the other end of the ground I didn't realise just how embarrassingly he went down from the push until now. Wow that's disgraceful, rolling around holding his face too.

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
My interpretation of those rules is that the ref got the Mellor incident correct but you're right, that's exactly what it comes down to 'ref's interpretation' and we all know how dodgy that can be.

We had a player sent off at Coventry for the exact same thing, pushing in the chest. It may be a yellow but really, any player pushing, no matter where it is, cannot complain if they're sent off. They should know better and behave themselves.

I've not seen the Sedgey tackle since seeing it at the game when I thought it was hard but fair(ish)....and yes, I probably agree, had it been the other way around I may have thought differently...but that's football intit?
At the time I thought it was an easy yellow decision but not a red.

If you fellas that have seen it since think it was an easy red, fair enough.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
but we seem to be ignoring the fact that El Abd dragged Mellor down for what should have been a penalty and a booking before he got pushed.

You mean that judo throw Mellor does on El Abd? I've not been ignoring it:

Looking at the bbc highlights it looked like mellor was wrestling El Abd, holding him in a decent double underhook before throwing him before pushing him.

The fall from the shove was dramatic, and he claimed in the argus that he was pushed in the chin, but it is clear one hand is on his chest the other on his shoulder, but a combo of that wrestling/throw and the shove should surely be red?

Personally, I'd say the push was "reckless", but the throw before the push was "excessive force".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here