Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Highlights up - That "challange" on Painter....

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
And I've just watched the BBC highlights (No Sedgwick tackle unfortunately), but we seem to be ignoring the fact that El Abd dragged Mellor down for what should have been a penalty and a booking before he got pushed.
If that's a penalty then what fatty did to El-Abd is GBH :lol:

I dunno what the exact rules are but you never see players sent off for a push to the chest, Sparrow didn't do a lot but it was head height and Greer was presumably since no one has appealed it or even mentioned it.

Sedgewick's tackle was as clear a red as you'll see though. Don't need a replay for that one. Ref bottled it.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I've not seen the Sedgey tackle since seeing it at the game when I thought it was hard but fair(ish)....and yes, I probably agree, had it been the other way around I may have thought differently...but that's football intit?
At the time I thought it was an easy yellow decision but not a red.

If you fellas that have seen it since think it was an easy red, fair enough.

Hard but fair?! A two-footed studs up lunge? That bloke is an utter cunt

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Two matches in a row. They say luck evens itself out over a season, I'm looking forward to our lucky moments!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
And I've just watched the BBC highlights (No Sedgwick tackle unfortunately), but we seem to be ignoring the fact that El Abd dragged Mellor down for what should have been a penalty and a booking before he got pushed.

Oh, and due to me being sat at the other end of the ground I didn't realise just how embarrassingly he went down from the push until now. Wow that's disgraceful, rolling around holding his face too.

What you missed is the way your players went down when our players so much as breathed on the back of their neck. You said yesterday Painter should have been booked in the first half whereas I would say if you were to see the coverage again that your players reactions to him standing his ground were more embarassing than El Abd's.

As for a penalty, are you serious? Mellor was all over El Abd and certainly the instigator. How you can get a penalty from that, I am really not sure. As for the reaction, over the top yes but as I said no more embarassing than your players going down at the slightest physical contact throughout the game.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This whole ElAbd affair sums up one of the big problems with football in my opinion. It's just become so pathetic and wimpy. El Abd should never have reacted the way he did. The trouble is the rules encourage him to. Players know that minimal contact can get an opponent sent off so they go down at the barest of contact(or none at all...) and feign a life threatening injury. The rules are so in favour of the divers and cheats that you see a player clearly dive and yet commentators and pundits are scrabbling around looking for 'contact' and then use that 'contact' as justification for the card that was shown to the offending player. No condemnation of the player that so theatrically goes to ground. Just a use of the rulebook to justify the dive.

It's the same with players getting sent off for pushing. 'He raised his hands so he has to go'. That's f***ing pathetic. If a player elbows, headbutts or punches someone then, fair enough send them off. But a push? f***ing pathetic. Yet the rulebook says it's a card so the person on the receiving end of the push can hurl themselves to the ground as if they've been shot. It's cringe worthy. It's pathetic. And it's cheating. Or at least it should be.

Unfortunately we're going to have to endure the plague of diving/ feigning/ simulation/whatever you want to call it for the foreseeable future. Shit. f***ing shit.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I've not seen the Sedgey tackle since seeing it at the game when I thought it was hard but fair(ish)....and yes, I probably agree, had it been the other way around I may have thought differently...but that's football intit?
At the time I thought it was an easy yellow decision but not a red.

If you fellas that have seen it since think it was an easy red, fair enough.

Is it just that the fans who have come on here are like that or do all Sheffield Wednesday fans think it is a hard challenge but not reckless? To me that was a blatant red card (have not seen the replay but watching it live it was clear). We have had players sent off for challenges that were a lot less reckless in the last couple of years.

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
This whole ElAbd affair sums up one of the big problems with football in my opinion. It's just become so pathetic and wimpy. El Abd should never have reacted the way he did. The trouble is the rules encourage him to. Players know that minimal contact can get an opponent sent off so they go down at the barest of contact(or none at all...) and feign a life threatening injury. The rules are so in favour of the divers and cheats that you see a player clearly dive and yet commentators and pundits are scrabbling around looking for 'contact' and then use that 'contact' as justification for the card that was shown to the offending player. No condemnation of the player that so theatrically goes to ground. Just a use of the rulebook to justify the dive.

It's the same with players getting sent off for pushing. 'He raised his hands so he has to go'. That's f***ing pathetic. If a player elbows, headbutts or punches someone then, fair enough send them off. But a push? f***ing pathetic. Yet the rulebook says it's a card so the person on the receiving end of the push can hurl themselves to the ground as if they've been shot. It's cringe worthy. It's pathetic. And it's cheating. Or at least it should be.

Unfortunately we're going to have to endure the plague of diving/ feigning/ simulation/whatever you want to call it for the foreseeable future. Shit. f***ing shit.

That's a very good post and good point well made.

There was a push on our keeper, Weaver in the first half that was like the Mellor one, a blatant push to the chest and for no real reason but Weaver stood strong and didn't complain. It was an obvious foul but obviously nowt was given.

Now either it's fine because he's a keeper and fair game for a push or because he didn't go down there was nowt to answer for. If your lad had stayed on his feet would Mellor have even got a yellow? (Genuine question BTW)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

This is the absolute crux of it in a nutshell. Spot. On.
The rules practically IMPLORE a player to make the absolute most he can out of the slightest of incidents, just on the offchance of getting a player sent off. What is there to lose ? (apart from your dignity)

Top post.

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
Is it just that the fans who have come on here are like that or do all Sheffield Wednesday fans think it is a hard challenge but not reckless? To me that was a blatant red card (have not seen the replay but watching it live it was clear). We have had players sent off for challenges that were a lot less reckless in the last couple of years.

I've no idea mate, I'm just giving you my honest opinion and I own up, had it been the other way round I'd probably have seen it the same way as you did but maybe more of your fans would have seen it differently too the other way round.

Perhaps it's the different angles or distances we all viewed from, I dunno....When it happened I will tell you that I got a text from a mate who sits on the halfway line on the side of the tackle, right above it and he said 'Definite Red'. So it clearly isn't ALL our fans and it's not said to wind anyone up, just how _I_ saw it. That's football for ya, 18k there yesterday and you won't get em all agreeing about any of the game, let alone this one incident.

We've ALL had players sent off for less, we know that, and these things will continue to happen, I dare say Sedgey will be sent off at some time in the future for far less than that tackle and maybe one or two of you will say 'serves him right', no problems at all with that....but again, that's footy intit?

It's the glorious inconsistency that makes the game what it is...IMVHO anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here