High Court dates confirmed - LDC press release

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I've just received this from Lewes District Council's press office:

-starts-
Falmer – High Court hearing dates confirmed

John Prescott’s decision on the proposed stadium at Falmer will be reviewed in the High Court on 5 and 6 December 2006. The hearing is estimated to last for 2 days.

Falmer Parish Council, the South Downs Society and the Cabinet of Lewes District Council had unanimously decided that the joint legal challenge should proceed to Court after Government Solicitors failed to give a written assurance that the Secretary of State would consider all the points of evidence when reaching a decision.

Cllr Neil Commin, Lead Member for Planning at Lewes District Council said “Because Government Solicitors were unable to confirm that all points of our evidence would be considered by the Secretary of State in reaching a decision we have had to continue our challenge in the High Court. We know that the issues will be sorted out once and for all as the High Court will look at each of the points in our challenge and decide whether or not they are justifiable.

We remain open to avoiding the Court Hearing if Government solicitors give the assurance we have requested”.
-ends-

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So exactly what happens on 7th December?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
DECEMBER!!!!!!!!!!

WTF do the lazy bastards in the judiciary do all f***ing day?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We remain open to avoiding the Court Hearing if Government solicitors give the assurance we have requested”.

has that left the door open if the albion address the 16 points?

only1robbiereinalt

Oct 7, 2005
:angry: december

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kinky Gerbils said:

It's not for the Albion to address it. It's for the Government to address it.

Roz (or Lord Bracknell), how much of that press release...

Falmer – High Court hearing dates confirmed

John Prescott’s decision on the proposed stadium at Falmer will be reviewed in the High Court on 5 and 6 December 2006. The hearing is estimated to last for 2 days.

Falmer Parish Council, the South Downs Society and the Cabinet of Lewes District Council had unanimously decided that the joint legal challenge should proceed to Court after Government Solicitors failed to give a written assurance that the Secretary of State would consider all the points of evidence when reaching a decision.

Cllr Neil Commin, Lead Member for Planning at Lewes District Council said “Because Government Solicitors were unable to confirm that all points of our evidence would be considered by the Secretary of State in reaching a decision we have had to continue our challenge in the High Court. We know that the issues will be sorted out once and for all as the High Court will look at each of the points in our challenge and decide whether or not they are justifiable.

...contains factual inaccuracies and inordinate amounts of feeble spin? For instance, has Martin Perry not indicated he expects the High Court hearing to go on longer than two days, and is Neil Commin fibbing again?

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Kinky Gerbils said:

Ruth "Spanish Inquisition" Kelly not the Albion ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
roz said:
decided that the joint legal challenge should proceed to Court after Government Solicitors failed to give a written assurance that the Secretary of State would consider all the points of evidence when reaching a decision.

We remain open to avoiding the Court Hearing if Government solicitors give the assurance we have requested.
-ends-
Can't the Government solicitors just say "we assure you that Ruth will consider all the points of evidence when reaching a decision", and then leave it at that ? Ruth then says YES, and its job done.

Well, I can dream.

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
-ends-

And we get no stadium, bolloxs to em.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Dick Knight's letter in with the season tickets mentions November as a potential date, so at least it's only a month later, and not April next year :nono:

But, still. I hope the judge who looks at it isn't as big a buffoon as LDC clearly hope he is.

Grrr...

110%

Unregistered User
Apr 19, 2006
GOSBTS
Dream on Easy!

What LDC are saying is that they will withdraw from the legal action if the Government says that all 16 points raised by LDC are correct. If the Government does that, it bascially makes it nigh on impossible for Ruth Kelly to give an approval when she reconsiders the scheme.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
110% said:
Dream on Easy!

What LDC are saying is that they will withdraw from the legal action if the Government says that all 16 points raised by LDC are correct. If the Government does that, it bascially makes it nigh on impossible for Ruth Kelly to give an approval when she reconsiders the scheme.
That's about the size of it.

Point is, the government doesn't agree with 15 of the 16 points raised by Lewes (some of which are tenuous bordering on irrelevant), stating they have 'no basis in law...' One thing I will say for Lewes District Council, they do have a lot of faith in their solicitor's advice.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It's bollocks, Ruth Kelly's department have to consider all the evidence when drawing up the new decision.

I reckon that LDC want their 16 points specifically mentioned in the decision letter whether they are relevant to the actual decision or not (and the Treasury Office Solicitors say they aren't). That is the written assurance that they haven't got in my opinion.

Last edited:

El Dude Brother

Feb 8, 2006
The wonders British legal system!

Planning permission finally granted 28 Oct 2005. Appeal hearing heard 5 Dec 2006, a mere 403 days later!!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
December. f***ing hell. Will the result be announced at the end of the hearing, or some time later? If the former, who's gonna text me the result as I'll be in Mauritius?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Everest said:
December. f***ing hell. Will the result be announced at the end of the hearing, or some time later? If the former, who's gonna text me the result as I'll be in Mauritius?

We already know the result. The decision will have to be re-considered by Ruth Kelly's department.

Halftime Oranges

Oct 22, 2003
Rottingdean
after these two days what happens...............???

Do we get the result or does it go back to the govenment again:glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here