Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"He's fat, he's round, he's taking Brighton down..."

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Right, before any accuses me of being a doom merchant with a short memory I AM thankful to McGhee for what he has done at this club.

Taking us up and keeping us up was a SUPERB achievement and for that McGhee deserves praise.

BUT

Today was just not good enough and I defy any poster on here to say they were happy with the peformance today.

Teams now know how to play against us and McGhee is getting found out tactically and that is costing us points which will condemn us to League 1.

We do not seem to have a plan B. Against Ipswich when we started the better, Joe Royle saw what was happening and changed things round. We NEVER do that.

Throwing on two strikers is not going to change anything if the problem is the service they are getting. One pair of legs chasing endless long balls is the same as any other.

Bringing Nicolas on and encouraging him to do what he does best and demand the ball from the defenders and link the play with our wingers, who at times look very good, would have meant the service forward would have improved. Doing this with two minutes left is pointless.

Also, instead of taking off our top scorer and most creative player how about you just tell people to pass the ball to his feet instead of smacking it in the air? Just a thought.

The only plus to come out of today was that we did not lose, that El Abd and Hart played well and the reassurance from Derby that there are other teams just as bad as us.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Theatre of Trees said:
We don't exactly have the players to come off the bench and change things around.

More so we just about have enough players left to fill the bench.

Demanding what is good and not etc is futile we only need to survive but we will have to up the ante in the second half of the season to do this.

Two very difficult away games coming up - point out of the two would suit me.

So your solution is to play ALEXIS NICOLAS and never, ever, never, ever sub LOVELY LITTLE LEON.

Sorry, Richie, it's not much of a plan :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Richie Morris said:
Nicolas could have done no worse then what was on the pitch.

Quite probable but Nicols is similar to Oatway, what was missing was Carpenter

E

enigma

Beach Hut said:

I didnt see the game but we have missed him big time.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think, as I said above, Nicolas would help our play a lot.

He collects the balls from defenders, meaning they do not just have to lump it forward, and then plays it out wide which changes the angle of the attack making it far harder to defend against and creates space for our wingers.

Oatway tries to do this but does not have the touch or passing to do it as effectively.

Also one thing that was noticeable today was that when we do knock long balls we tend to hit them straight which is very easy to defend against. When Derby got the ball Blackstock would pull off onto Reid's shoulder and they would knock diagonal balls. We could have done with McPhee doing the same because he would have won more against their full backs and also the header then is coming from an angle.

Our corners are like watching an under 11s team. I do not know about the rest of the posters on here but when I played we were always told to attack the corners, not just stand still in the penalty area.

McShane used to do this but today everyone just waited for the lofted corner and that is just inviting the goalie to come and claim it.

Beach Hut said:

Yep, counting the games till he's back.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Richie Morris said:
I think, as I said above, Nicolas would help our play a lot.

He collects the balls from defenders, meaning they do not just have to lump it forward, and then plays it out wide which changes the angle of the attack making it far harder to defend against and creates space for our wingers.

Oatway tries to do this but does not have the touch or passing to do it as effectively.

Totally agree

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Richie Morris said:
Our corners are like watching an under 11s team.

Try watching my U14s - just as poor with corners.

I do dread corners now as we are often in danger of conceding straight after.

Richie Morris said:
Our corners are like watching an under 11s team.

I'm so used to disgreeing with 95 per cent of what you say that I almost missed that bit about the corners. Yes, I agree they are not good enough, I think the problem is more Carole's delivery though, which seems too gentle to deceive and cause damage. Perhaps when Chippy is back, he'll get the job - I hope so.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It seems strange because McShane had clearly been told by McGhee to arrive late and attack the ball on the run. Maybe they just forgot to tell someone else to.

I think Knight should be taking them and whipping them in.

Richie Morris said:

What actually happens too often is that is passing is too conservative and just invites the opposition and pressure on to the ball receiver. Also, he is non-existent in competing for the ball in the air, at least we do not lose out there with Hammond or Oatway.

I think it's a combination of these two reasons that Alexis is behind the other two players and Chippy.

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak
McGhee has a budget of zero and can only use the players we have.
Can you suggest how that will change any ??

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
The bottom line is,This team an't good enough to stay up even with a fully fit squad.With Lewes council looking very likely to go through with there appeal,Do you think thats the end of any new players arriving in Jan?Dick might not be so keen to release futher funds.Unless we strenthen then i cannot see us staying up.I'm even prepared to bet L1 over this as well

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Morris your a total knobend, I'm suprised it hasn't been mentioned to you before.:angry:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given that this was our 3rd game in a week and against a team who beat Stoke 2-0 away midweek I was satisfied with the result,

IMO you have to be a C**t to want to sack McGhee after the way he's motivated this team in the last week. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but that's mine

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here